• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I was sent details of an almost complete Poulenc box set from EMI France for just under £30 from amazon uk - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...email_sim_2_lm Usual metrics - 20 CDs son around £1.50 per disc Seems reasonable value for anyone who wants a lot of Poulenc.
    Content listing here.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I was sent details of an almost complete Poulenc box set from EMI France for just under £30 from amazon uk - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...email_sim_2_lm Usual metrics - 20 CDs so around £1.50 per disc Seems reasonable value for anyone who wants a lot of Poulenc.
      Great set. Strongly recommended if you like Poulenc.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

#3241 Thank you, Bryn. Mission completed!

Comment

• DublinJimbo
          • Nov 2011

This may be of interest to downloading boarders — Qobuz are running a promotion which ostensibly involves pricing 24-bit 'Studio Masters' downloads at the same level as MP3s (I presume this is as MP3s used to be, since CD-quality is now the minimum download standard at Qobuz).

24-bit at MP3 prices may perhaps be the overall intention, but hidden among the list are some quite extraordinary bargains which go much further than that. I've just got Eric Le Sage's 7-disc survey of Schumann's chamber music with piano for €20.99, Marek Janowski's new recording of Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg for €24.99, and Isabelle Faust's 2-disc set of Bach's solo sonatas and partitas for €6.99 per disc.

I'll be going back to download Christian Thielemann's recently released Vienna Ring cycle for the crazy price of €9.99 for each opera! (Rheingold, Walküre, Siegfried, Götterdämmerung)

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
            24-bit at MP3 prices may perhaps be the overall intention, but hidden among the list are some quite extraordinary bargains which go much further than that......
            And a fair few Naxos 24/96 and 24/44.1 at €5.99.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              And a fair few Naxos 24/96 and 24/44.1 at €5.99.
              Some decent bargains at at Naxos Direct at the moment. Free postage.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Poulenc 20 CD box set, ordered on Bank Holiday morning, (river people) was delivered this morning. I keep stopping to return to the mouth-watering selection as I savour the prospect of choice over the next few weeks/months. R3 is also completely time consuming from 11am each day - it really has been a remarkable summer - and my living room moves in the direction of Ionesco's "The Chairs" as a stack of off-air recordings and substantial 'offers which can't be refused' now dominate the available space. Alternatively, I sometimes feel like Tamburlaine sprawled all over the floor, drooling over the map of the world beneath him. Drunk with euphoria but otherwise stone cold sober!

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Some decent bargains at at Naxos Direct at the moment. Free postage.
                  Yes indeed, but be aware that some of the Marco Polo (around 80) and Da Capo (about 50) cds are just £1 plus £1.26 for delivery from Naxos Direct's Marketplace site on Amazon substantially undercutting the link in the above quote. For example:

and

Just do a label search under 'low to high price'.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                    I don't know how long this will last.

"It's surprising how often other sites will decide to post a free download of a recording we've spent weeks restoring; we modestly think our work is usually superior, but still this development has played a role in the gradual trailing off of activity here. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Henceforth all ReDiscovery downloads are absolutely free. Enjoy the music!"
                    First mention of ReDiscovery that I can see is msg 3201. I've been sampling several of the ReDiscovery downloads. I hadn't heard of the company before. Presumably it is a company which took LPs or other recordings and converted them to digital - possibly improving the sound quality in the process. Some items still seem to be CD only. Looks as though their business model has given way - so not sure how they can continue to offer the material.

What I don't see is what the original recordings were - label and recording details etc. Some fairly standard stuff there, with just a few unusual items. "Free" is good, but perhaps there are now better and/or newer versions of all the items in that catalogue. Has anyone else found any interesting items in that list?

Currently I'm sampling the William Steinberg disc "Command Spectaculars - RD 035 and Swarowksy's Christmas Oratorio RD123/124. The file labelling presents a slight problem - would make sense to immediately relabel any unpacked folders to reflect the contents.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                      • Nov 2010

Regarding Qobuz. They've got the recent Barenboim Beethoven cycle for 9.99 Euros - and in high resolution 24/96 sound if required...

Listen to West-Eastern Divan Orchestra in unlimited streaming on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from $10.83/month
                      Steve

Comment

• johnb
                        • Mar 2007

... and the 24/96 downloads of the Thielemann Ring are still on offer at 9.99 Euros per opera for another six days from Qobuz.

(I really do wish they hadn't had the special offer on high res downloads that ended yesterday. Being of limited will power, I bought two of Gardner's Lutuslawski 'discs, Fischer's Mahler 1 and 6, Faust Beethoven/Berg Violin Concertos and the Melnikov Shostakovich Piano Concertos.)

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

That Faust recording has been whispering "buy me, buy me" every time I've visited the Qobuz website. I've managed to resist so far.

The special offer's been extended for a week.
                          Steve

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                            That Faust recording has been whispering "buy me, buy me" every time I've visited the Qobuz website. I've managed to resist so far.

The special offer's been extended for a week.
                            I have had the Faust Berg/LvB for a while and recommend it highly. The Berg is especially superb.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                              Regarding Qobuz. They've got the recent Barenboim Beethoven cycle for 9.99 Euros - and in high resolution 24/96 sound if required...

http://www.qobuz.com/album/west-east.../0002894783512
                              Ahem:

This article is not available in your country yet (UNITED KINGDOM)

Cet article n'est pas encore disponible en téléchargement dans votre pays (UNITED KINGDOM)
                              Si vous êtes résident en France (ou DOM-TOM) et / ou disposez d'un mode de paiement émis en France (ou DOM-TOM), contactez le service clients.
                              Si vous avez besoin d'aide, contactez-nous.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Ahem:
                                If you send them an email they'll unblock the account - at least that's what they did for me.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X