X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Yampolsky is the accompanist I most associate with Oistrakh (more so than Richter, indeed). They made a fine team. The recording quality varies with age, as one might expect. I got the set back in November 2011 and must admit I have not as yet listened to all of it. What I have spun has been pretty consistently a delight.
    Last edited by Bryn; 19-07-13, 09:55. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
      I'm tempted by this - the complete EMI David Oistrakh recordings at what seems to be an excellent price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

£23.25 (inc. p & p) from the Marketplace?

Tell me you didn't see it cheaper and I missed the bargain of a lifetime!
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I paid £22.89 including p&p, also via the amazon marketplace, but that was back in 2011.

Comment

• Rolmill
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Bryn, that's helpful - not a new bargain, then, but still irresistible!

Parry1912, no I didn't find it cheaper - I'll go for the Amazon site purchase (£23.93) and try the AutoRip facility for the first time.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
            I'm tempted by this - the complete EMI David Oistrakh recordings at what seems to be an excellent price:

Is this set recommended by forum members?

In particular:
            - are the recordings generally OK?
            - any comments on the chamber music recordings with Vladimir Yampolsky (which I do not know at all)?
            It's one of the great bargains in my experience, Rolmill - you'll not regret buying it

Comment

• Rolmill
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              It's one of the great bargains in my experience, Rolmill - you'll not regret buying it
              Thanks Am51 - ordered last night. I have (and greatly admire) a few of the concerto recordings, but the majority is new to me - I'm greatly looking forward to exploring it.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                This looks to be interesting. Geza Anda - 10 CDs mostly of concerto recordings under a tenner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hungarian-Ma...ter+pianist%22
                Anyone tried this yet? It was flagged up in a recent email from that well known company.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Some people might like this one - http://www.selections.com/andre-prev...ngs-10cds.html which has Andre Previn featuring in jazz.
                  I sampled some of his piano playing on Spotify - some of it sounds spectacular. He may have recorded some things more than once, so the versions you'll get in the box may be old (very) or not quite so old! His early Ellington recordings do sound obviously old.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Some people might like this one - http://www.selections.com/andre-prev...ngs-10cds.html which has Andre Previn featuring in jazz.
                    I sampled some of his piano playing on Spotify - some of it sounds spectacular. He may have recorded some things more than once, so the versions you'll get in the box may be old (very) or not quite so old! His early Ellington recordings do sound obviously old.
                    Thank you for spotting that - sadly, the collection doesn't seem to contain these early recordings which I enjoy hugely.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                      Thank you for spotting that - sadly, the collection doesn't seem to contain these early recordings which I enjoy hugely.

http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.co.u...andre%20previn
                      I noticed that some more interesting items were missing from the collection too, but ... I thought someone might come back and "rap my knuckles" for this post in what might be a classical area of the forum - but I figured it would be of interest, and after all Previn does has a following in the classical and other musical worlds. I still hope it might be of interest, and I might get it to play in the car or when I just want a change. I think some of the playing is very good, and I some of the improvisations are ingenious, though some of it sounds just like American hotel bar stuff. Anyone who's been to a few hotels in the USA will know what I mean.

Clearly the young Previn was very talented, as is the older one.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

I noticed that some more interesting items were missing from the collection too, but ... I thought someone might come back and "rap my knuckles" for this post in what might be a classical area of the forum....
                        No problem with that - wasn't AP one of those credited with the statement about there only being two types of music - good and bad - and throughout his career has spanned many genres successfully.

Comment

• PJPJ
                          • Nov 2010

I noticed that some more interesting items were missing from the collection too, but ... I thought someone might come back and "rap my knuckles" for this post in what might be a classical area of the forum - ......
                          Rap is going a bit too far for R3.....

I don't think these earliest AP recordings to which I linked have ever made it to CD.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Good shout from Discount Dave!

Like the look of the Russian Archive series from Brilliant, such as this

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

inc. unfamiliar fare like Alexander Lokshin's Symphony No.7 "on ancient Japanese verses"

You know Discount Dave too?

I love his Andover shop...best bargains in town. And THAT is a real achievement in Andover !!
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                              Rap is going a bit too far for R3.....

I don't think these earliest AP recordings to which I linked have ever made it to CD.
                              Urban Prom not grab you then?.....
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Urban Prom not grab you then?.....
                                Are you referring to an experimental fusion of musical styles, where high-octane orchestral showpieces by Mosolov and Henze rub shoulders with rap, R&B and soul?

I look forward to it.

I did enjoy Jules Buckley's recent outing on R3 with Chilly Gonzales and his piano concerto - great fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X