X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I was alerted to the Essential Sibelius by this thread and have the impression that with these recording life is simpler with the CD box (£44.99 post free at Sainsbury's) rather than downloads. There is a good 130 page booklet with texts and translations and with quite a lot of individual tracks (nearly 200) you have a clear overview of what is actually there.
    Trouble is I think that 15 CDs isn't enough, so one could end up chasing the Complete(r) sets again!
    Remortgage your house, place bets on racehorses, or sell your shares.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Trouble is I think that 15 CDs isn't enough, so one could end up chasing the Complete(r) sets again!
      Remortgage your house, place bets on racehorses, or sell your shares.
      And now something else to consider spending that money on! Zweitausendeins has a sale of BBC Legends for €2.99 each. Delivery is €9.50. Included are six Silvestri discs (2 doubles and 2 singles) of which I already had five having paid rather more for them. They also have BBC Legend ‘Packets’ of 10, 15 and 20 discs for €19.99, €28.99 and €37.99 respectively but maddeningly virtually no information about which discs are included in each ‘packet’. I gave these a miss given the level of duplication for me in their list of BBCLs marked at €2.99.

Also, take a look at Brilliant Classics on this site where I added to my BBCL order the Kuchar/Nielsen symphony set - favourably discussed quite recently on these boards - for €2.49.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        And now something else to consider spending that money on! Zweitausendeins has a sale of BBC Legends for €2.99 each. Delivery is €9.50. Included are six Silvestri discs (2 doubles and 2 singles) of which I already had five having paid rather more for them. They also have BBC Legend ‘Packets’ of 10, 15 and 20 discs for €19.99, €28.99 and €37.99 respectively but maddeningly virtually no information about which discs are included in each ‘packet’. I gave these a miss given the level of duplication for me in their list of BBCLs marked at €2.99.

Also, take a look at Brilliant Classics on this site where I added to my BBCL order the Kuchar/Nielsen symphony set - favourably discussed quite recently on these boards - for €2.49.
        Oh goody! The magnificent hafod back on form, dealing in prime CD bargains, not shall I/shan't I download fretting

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

.. and they still have a chain of retail outlets in Germany, although some have closed. I've been to the ones in Cologne and Leipzig.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Obviously the 2001 German site has the best deal on this right now, but out of curiosity I looked around and found this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nielsen-Comp...kuchar+nielsen

It seems that AutoRip has arrived in the UK, so that if you buy some CDs from Amazon you also get the MP3 version. Not everyone will want this, and if you only want the CDs then market place sellers may be cheaper, but for some issues it could be a real bonus, and perhaps would also enable almost instant access to the music while you wait for the postie to come.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Chandos sale at Europadisc - inc. riches for British music fans of course (lots of Bridge, Berkeley, Leighton &c.)

Most at £5.50 instead of £12.95, but some down to £3.95 (e.g. Rawsthorne Piano concertos, Bliss Colour Symphony (Handley)).

Plus DSCH string quartets (Sorrel) and some Jarvi symphonies (inc Bruckner 8 - didn't know he'd done that).

http://www.europadisc.co.uk/offer/14...ale!,0,232.htm
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                [COLOR="#0000FF"]Chandos sale at Europadisc

Plus DSCH string quartets (Sorrel)
                A bargain indeed!

Shostakovich - Complete String Quartets, Piano Quintet | Chandos is delighted to announce the complete Shostakovich String Quartet cycle performed by Sorre

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Well the sale has just cost me more than half a ton, so I ask myself, do I want yet another survey of the Shostakovich string quartets? No, I will resist that one, thanks. Some interesting Messiaen in the sale, but most I already have.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

This may be of interest:

The Thielemann Ring Cycle is available for download from Amazon for the princely sum of £4.49

Quite a bargain as the CDs still cost £92.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      This may be of interest:

The Thielemann Ring Cycle is available for download from Amazon for the princely sum of £4.49

Quite a bargain as the CDs still cost £92.
                      Do I need another Ring? No, I didn't need the first I bought. However, at this price ...

Mind you, it's going to take an age to stitch the separate mp3s from each Act together with mp3DirectCut.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

I am temptes by that "Ring" as I could actually listen to it in the car. Still trying to get through that ENO version at home.

'scuse my ignorance, but is the Thielmann any good?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I am temptes by that "Ring" as I could actually listen to it in the car. Still trying to get through that ENO version at home.

'scuse my ignorance, but is the Thielmann any good?
                          At under a fiver ... still downloading it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            At under a fiver ... still downloading it.
                            I thought you didn't like downloads Dave !!

I take it that is a YES !!
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Chandos sale at Europadisc - inc. riches for British music fans of course (lots of Bridge, Berkeley, Leighton &c.)

Most at £5.50 instead of £12.95, but some down to £3.95 (e.g. Rawsthorne Piano concertos, Bliss Colour Symphony (Handley)).

Plus DSCH string quartets (Sorrel) and some Jarvi symphonies (inc Bruckner 8 - didn't know he'd done that).

http://www.europadisc.co.uk/offer/14...ale!,0,232.htm
                              Yes, he also started a 9th but didn't complete it.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Now fully downloaded and the files of CD 1 renamed to commence with "(Disc 1) " which they some how forgot to include. Now to either convert to CDA or stitch the 'tracks' of each Act together for gapless playback. I think the latter is preferable.

Comment

Working...
                                X