X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

GrahamH

Thanks for pointing out my mistake re the different MP3 collections. The Essential Sibelius collection from Play.com does look a fantastic bargain - if it can be made to work. http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Downlo...rlrefer=search

It does indeed cost a lot more at Amazon, even in MP3 format.

i might see if I can get it to work, but it does sound tricky.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      GrahamH

Thanks for pointing out my mistake re the different MP3 collections. The Essential Sibelius collection from Play.com does look a fantastic bargain - if it can be made to work. http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Downlo...rlrefer=search

It does indeed cost a lot more at Amazon, even in MP3 format.

i might see if I can get it to work, but it does sound tricky.
      As mentioned earlier, I was a little tempted, even though I have the CDs. However, the mess that is the track listing on the play.com site has put me right off.

Comment

• GrahamH

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        As mentioned earlier, I was a little tempted, even though I have the CDs. However, the mess that is the track listing on the play.com site has put me right off.
        Indeed, although having imported what I could download into iTunes it does split into the 15 CDs. The rest of the metadata seems at a quick glance not to be too bad, and I suppose at this price a *little* work is reasonable!

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Having suggested the BIS Sibelius set as a 'bargain' I'm sorry to read about the problems some are having accessing it. I know nothing about downloads and downloading so perhaps it would be better if I refrain in future from reporting what seems like a download bargain but for practical purposes probably isn't. Any idle thoughts I may have had about attempting downloading have been banished by the reported problems encountered by those experienced in these matters above.

Comment

• robk
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            Having suggested the BIS Sibelius set as a 'bargain' I'm sorry to read about the problems some are having accessing it. I know nothing about downloads and downloading so perhaps it would be better if I refrain in future from reporting what seems like a download bargain but for practical purposes probably isn't. Any idle thoughts I may have had about attempting downloading have been banished by the reported problems encountered by those experienced in these matters above.
            Please keep the suggestions coming hafod. The struggle is well worth it for a bargain like this.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

My Sibelius collection is far from compendious and I was nearly tempted by the Play.com offer despite usually sticking to CD purchases. For completists and cheapskates (eg me) the CDs can be had at the grocer's for £44.99

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by robk View Post
                Please keep the suggestions coming hafod. The struggle is well worth it for a bargain like this.
                Indeed, had I not already the CDs I would have gone ahead and struggled with the play.com download, not giving up until they sorted any problems or gave a refund. Don't be put off all downloads by problems on some sites. I have had seveal dodgy downloads from amazon.co.uk too. However, those from independent record companies tend to be much better handled. I have not as yet tried Qobuz but others who have seem to find it very reliable, once you have got over the problem of La Manche.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  My Sibelius collection is far from compendious and I was nearly tempted by the Play.com offer despite usually sticking to CD purchases. For completists and cheapskates (eg me) the CDs can be had at the grocer's for £44.99
                  Beware of using the term "completists" in this context. The box in question is but the Essential Sibelius. The complete BIS Sibelius Edition is very much more compendious, and expensive.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

Beware of using the term "completists" in this context. The box in question is but the Essential Sibelius. The complete BIS Sibelius Edition is very much more compendious, and expensive.
                    It's as if Pedants' Paradise and Bargains had intersected like in a Venn diagram.
                    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Stephen Smith

Originally posted by robk View Post
                      +1, Hafod- your suggestions are invaluable, and I am among many who have the benefit of the bargains you post (still don't know how you find them in such quantity) perhaps just say you don't download yourself(so- frailty of the vendor's system is a risk to be managed by those of us who do!).

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Valid point. I think "essential" will do me for now.

Comment

• jut1972
                          • Jun 2013

Hi all,
                          I posted this over at http://www.good-music-guide.com/comm...22088.html#new The Super Duper Bargains thread on the good music guide forum.

Worth a look for similar bargains. There is a lot of cross posting between this forum and that one with many members on both.

For those worried about the downloads, play.com are supposed to be alright. I haven't gone for this one as I own the CDs (I bought them from MDT in a recent sale).

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jut1972 View Post
                            Hi all,
                            I posted this over at http://www.good-music-guide.com/comm...22088.html#new The Super Duper Bargains thread on the good music guide forum.

Worth a look for similar bargains. There is a lot of cross posting between this forum and that one with many members on both.

For those worried about the downloads, play.com are supposed to be alright. I haven't gone for this one as I own the CDs (I bought them from MDT in a recent sale).
                            If you care to peruse this thread, jut, you will find that at least one member here has indeed had problems with that play.com download. I too have the CDs (got them at the time of their release) but was slightly tempted as a way of saving the trouble of ripping and converting. However ...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

I see Membran has found a good marketing tactic for its bargain Furtwängler box: as presented to Pope Francis by Angela Merkel.

Comment

• robk
                                • Nov 2010

Brahms Chamber Music

I am tempted by this. It will involve some duplication though.

Comment

Working...
                                X