X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kees

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Does that include postage?
    Shipping to UK £ 1,60 per order. Free shipping UK for orders more than £ 60 as far as I know......

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Regarding the Mahler component of the Abbado box, Am I right in thinking that it's the late BPO recordings (with the exception of the Lucerne 2nd)?

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        Regarding the Mahler component of the Abbado box, Am I right in thinking that it's the late BPO recordings (with the exception of the Lucerne 2nd)?
        Full details here:

click on track for more info

PS To answer your question, yes they are. A tempting box....

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Guy
          Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          Full details here:

Thanks PJ. Have succumbed - not too much duplication for me.

Makes the Decca Abbado set look pricey......

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Can anybody recommend this?

Ta.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Yes, I can; and Gould's Bach has many fans and as many detractors! It's bone-dry playing with real zest, energy and liveliness and with moments of pathos that are all the more powerfully moving for their not being over-emoted. The recordings are very dry and close and Gould's groans are very off-putting, but I don't think these performances have been bettered. 44 discs at less than £75 (if you use zoverstocks) is a bargain: but I recommend you try Spotifying/Napstering before you buy - if Gould's Bach isn't to your taste, it's a huge expense!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Thanks Ferney. Love all the GG I have heard. Just trying to use my resources wisely....

Who cares about a few grunts and a bit of humming...?!

oh, and I got the link wrong.
                This was the one I really was asking about.

The £75 job will have to wait for Xmas, or Petrusha giving us a winner !!
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Rolmill
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                  Full details here:

I presume the Beethoven is the live cycle recorded in Italy in 2001 (as opposed to the studio set recorded in 2000 but effectively superseded by the live set) - can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Anyone familiar with this set ?
                    I fancy adding some Haydn sonatas to my collection but the whole lot for less than £20 seems too good to miss.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Anyone familiar with this set ?
                      I fancy adding some Haydn sonatas to my collection but the whole lot for less than £20 seems too good to miss.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Sonata...haydn+complete
                      You can go cheaper, but maybe not much - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+Haydn+sonatas. Christine Schornsheim's set was recommended by some who frequent boards such as this a few years ago - but it was cheaper then. It is played on more "authentic" instruments. I believe John McCabe's set is good, but I've not heard it - if you want a more modern instrument. Amazonians also give a reasonable number of stars to Jando, and generally his recordings/performances are good.

I've not heard of Roland Batik. I don't know the Brilliant set, but I'm fairly certain I've got some of the recordings in that, so could give them a spin.

PS: Seems Roland Batik is an Austrian pianist. He has written a piano concerto. i can't find any Haydn instantly, but here he is in the last movement of K332 - http://open.spotify.com/track/0gQuiRJE8asWplyoozl0l1 - decent enough!

PPS: Then there is Staier, who seems strongly recommended these days - http://open.spotify.com/track/22hDjEvI3HWra6pi0yJiwG
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 11-05-13, 20:17.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Thanks Ferney. Love all the GG I have heard. Just trying to use my resources wisely....

Who cares about a few grunts and a bit of humming...?!

oh, and I got the link wrong.
                        This was the one I really was asking about.

The £75 job will have to wait for Xmas, or Petrusha giving us a winner !!
                        Given the price (not expensive but not ultra cheap) I would have hoped for more info on the provenance of the recordings.

The Beethoven concerto with Karajan is well worth getting (there's an "authorised" version on Sony that I bought a while ago)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          You can go cheaper, but maybe not much - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+Haydn+sonatas. Christine Schornsheim's set was recommended by some who frequent boards such as this a few years ago - but it was cheaper then. It is played on more "authentic" instruments. I believe John McCabe's set is good, but I've not heard it - if you want a more modern instrument. Amazonians also give a reasonable number of stars to Jando, and generally his recordings/performances are good.

I've not heard of Roland Batik. I don't know the Brilliant set, but I'm fairly certain I've got some of the recordings in that, so could give them a spin.

PS: Seems Roland Batik is an Austrian pianist. He has written a piano concerto. i can't find any Haydn instantly, but here he is in the last movement of K332 - http://open.spotify.com/track/0gQuiRJE8asWplyoozl0l1 - decent enough!

PPS: Then there is Staier, who seems strongly recommended these days - http://open.spotify.com/track/22hDjEvI3HWra6pi0yJiwG
                          Thanks for that Dave.
                          I am going to go for this Buchbinder set,there are a couple of good reviews on the web.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I am sure it has been mentioned before but the Petrenko Shostakovich recordings are £3.99 including delivery from Sainsburys .

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Thanks for that Dave.
                              I am going to go for this Buchbinder set,there are a couple of good reviews on the web.
                              Good luck with that. i do actually have the performances in that Brilliant box - indeed more than those from the large Haydn box which was cheap not so long ago. They seem fine, but of course they are done on "proper" instruments, not those new fangled things!

Oh, I almost forgot http://www.music.mcgill.ca/thevirtualhaydn/ - the virtual Haydn. This seems now only to be available as downloads or Blu-Ray, and is in any case a lot more now than when I bought it. My feeling is that the Brilliant set has better sounding instruments, and probably more interesting playing. I'd probably put Staier (HM and Sony) ahead of most of the others, but I hadn't realised that some are now difficult to find, though some of his performances are now in Sony boxes - not necessarily cheap though. If you have Spotify (perhaps Napster) try listening to Staier - his recordings really draw one in, and the instruments sound fine.

Many of the fortepianos used on the different recordings do sound similar, though Riko Fukuda's (on Brilliant) sounds more "interesting" - I think brighter at the top end. Unfortunately although Christine Schornheim is good I'm sure there is traffic noise or some other background on some of her CDs.

Of course you may only want to hear these on a grand - perhaps a Steinway! I guess if Buchbinder gets you into these pieces that's OK. Once you've decided you like them try some of the recordings on harpsichords or forte pianos. Thanks for this anyway, as it got me listening to Staier and currently van Oort and relistening to Schornheim.

Let us know how you get on.

PS: I previously mentioned Roland Batik - although his CDs come up as "complete" the individual CDs aren't complete, so they're not really such a good buy, I think. OTOH the Brilliant set is worth having and affordable, though perhaps not as characterful as Schornheim or Staier. I haven't heard Brautigam who presents another view on older instruments.
                              Last edited by Dave2002; 12-05-13, 03:31.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Good luck with that. i do actually have the performances in that Brilliant box - indeed more than those from the large Haydn box which was cheap not so long ago. They seem fine, but of course they are done on "proper" instruments, not those new fangled things!

Oh, I almost forgot http://www.music.mcgill.ca/thevirtualhaydn/ - the virtual Haydn. This seems now only to be available as downloads or Blu-Ray, and is in any case a lot more now than when I bought it. My feeling is that the Brilliant set has better sounding instruments, and probably more interesting playing. I'd probably put Staier (HM and Sony) ahead of most of the others, but I hadn't realised that some are now difficult to find, though some of his performances are now in Sony boxes - not necessarily cheap though. If you have Spotify (perhaps Napster) try listening to Staier - his recordings really draw one in, and the instruments sound fine.

Many of the fortepianos used on the different recordings do sound similar, though Riko Fukuda's (on Brilliant) sounds more "interesting" - I think brighter at the top end. Unfortunately although Christine Schornheim is good I'm sure there is traffic noise or some other background on some of her CDs.

Of course you may only want to hear these on a grand - perhaps a Steinway! I guess if Buchbinder gets you into these pieces that's OK. Once you've decided you like them try some of the recordings on harpsichords or forte pianos. Thanks for this anyway, as it got me listening to Staier and currently van Oort and relistening to Schornheim.

Let us know how you get on.

PS: I previously mentioned Roland Batik - although his CDs come up as "complete" the individual CDs aren't complete, so they're not really such a good buy, I think. OTOH the Brilliant set is worth having and affordable, though perhaps not as characterful as Schornheim or Staier. I haven't heard Brautigam who presents another view on older instruments.
                                Dave,that is just a wonderful post,so interesting and informative.
                                Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put that together.
                                I have ordered the Buchbinder complete set,like I said to good to miss at £20.
                                Yes it has to be a modern piano for me,I haven't yet delved into the world of fortepianos and such like,sorry hippsters.

Comment

Working...
                                X