X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Oh dear, ts sorry that you feel like that. I was fortunate enough to attend this Gurrelieder at the Proms

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

so I'm totally smitten by it already and I have recorded versions by Robert Craft and Simon Rattle too
    I'm a fan, too. Abbado, Chailly and Salonen all offer interesting takes on this Late Romantic work.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

oh dear, should have used the winky eye thing........

Mind you if I could have got £29.99.............

Gurrelieder at the Proms......sigh..how unattainably cosmopolitan and glamorous.......meanwhile here in Wiltshire......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I didn't really, throbbo. That was a little bit of fun.
        Sadly backfired. I am sorry.

anyway, get that list out if you are cash strapped...I am in buying mood !!
        (hope Mrs TS doesn't see this ...)

edit: And just to be serious for once, this is a cracking download bargain if it's available in wherever you are:

lots of great stuff on here.
        Aha! I thought as much (should always trust one's gut but jokes are oft liable to go astray in the Inter-Æther unless heavily flagged.)

Re. list. Will do, TS. (And thanks for the link.)
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          Aha! I thought as much (should always trust one's gut but jokes are oft liable to go astray in the Inter-Æther.)

Re. list. Will do, TS. (And thanks for the link.)
          I find that quite appalling, having bought the polycarbonate version for rather more.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

they will tax smileys before long , and then we will be stuffed......
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I find that quite appalling, having bought the polycarbonate version for rather more.
              indeed. JLW bought as you did, but said that the real thing is rather gorgeous, and described it in glowing JLW terms. plus I never did find the sleeve notes, and, as downloads do, it rearranged itself in all manner of irritating ways.
              Nevertheless, it is a brilliant set in my humble opinion.

It must be pretty irritating though Bryn......

(BTW I paid £4.50 less a £3 MP3 tax dodgers credit I didn't know I had, so I actually shelled out £1.50 plus the cost of 2 blank CDR's....)

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                indeed. JLW bought as you did, but said that the real thing is rather gorgeous, and described it in glowing JLW terms. plus I never did find the sleeve notes, and, as downloads do, it rearranged itself in all manner of irritating ways.
                Nevertheless, it is a brilliant set in my humble opinion.

It must be pretty irritating though Bryn......

(BTW I paid £4.50 less a £3 MP3 tax dodgers credit I didn't know I had, so I actually shelled out £1.50 plus the cost of 2 blank CDR's....)
                Well I suppose the box and booklet were quite expensive, but at least I got lossless versions of the 44.1/16 transfers.

Comment

• Tapiola
                  • Jan 2011

Have just come across a couple of tempting Membran sets of Melchior and Bruno Walter. I've ordered both, unaware of transfer quality, but at a tenner a pop...
                  Last edited by Tapiola; 01-05-13, 22:21. Reason: Melchior link with details

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                    Have just come across a couple of tempting Membran sets of Melchior and Bruno Walter. I've ordered both, unaware of transfer quality, but at a tenner a pop...
                    I got this Membran Wagner box a couple of years ago. Many classic extracts.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                      I think I took my eye off the ball. The Tallis is now £27.99 at Vivace. However Regis still have it for less here - around £16 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new I can't remember what the original bargain price at Vivace was - water under the bridge now anyway!

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Svetlanov - Rimsky

The "bargain" 5 CD set of Rimsky Korsakov music conducted by Svetlanov arrived recently. The first symphony is shown as being in D minor (Re mineur) on both the CD and in the booklet. It is in E minor, though originally Rimsky wrote it in E flat minor.

It is currently £26.99 from the river people - I paid under a fiver. Thanks to the one (departed?) who spotted that.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          The "bargain" 5 CD set of Rimsky Korsakov music conducted by Svetlanov arrived recently. The first symphony is shown as being in D minor (Re mineur) on both the CD and in the booklet. It is in E minor, though originally Rimsky wrote it in E flat minor.

It is currently £26.99 from the river people - I paid under a fiver. Thanks to the one (departed?) who spotted that.
                          Have you checked what pitch it plays at?

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Currently the set of Glazunov symphonies 1-8 played by the BBC NOW with Tadaaki Otaka (No 6 is by Yondani Butt?? oops.See msgs 2894/5 below) issued by BIS is available for £4.99 as a download from iTunes, and it's even cheaper from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glazunov-The...39254&sr=301-1 at £4.49. iTunes will be aac and possibly slightly better quality than the mp3 format at amazon, but realistically there shouldn't be much to choose between them. The mp3s sound very similar to the CDs which cost considerably more.
                            Last edited by Dave2002; 04-05-13, 09:47.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              BBC NOW with Tadaaki Otaka (No 6 is by Yondani Butt)
                              I thought Otaka recorded the complete cycle. My boxed set certainly indicates so. Wasn't it Polyansky's Chandos cycle which was left incomplete, reissued as a boxed set on Brilliant with No.7 from Otaka?

Either way, the download is a real bargain.
                              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                                I thought Otaka recorded the complete cycle. My boxed set certainly indicates so. Wasn't it Polyansky's Chandos cycle which was left incomplete, reissued as a boxed set on Brilliant with No.7 from Otaka?

Either way, the download is a real bargain.
                                Oops. I think you may be right there. Stiil, it's a great buy.

Some of the Yondani Butt recordings are really good, though currently 6 seems only to be available on Regis. They are worth looking out for on eBay (ASV) or may be available as downloads - e.e HDTracks (but not HD!). As you say it is Tadaaki Otaka's version of 7 which is included in Polyansky's set.
                                Last edited by Dave2002; 04-05-13, 10:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X