Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

This seems cheaper than some others - http://www.mdt.co.uk/archiv-produkti...ter-21-04-2013

Do they pay taxes?

I'm still not sure whether I really want this though.

Comment

• AmpH
      • Feb 2012

A couple of decent bargains, if interested in Shostakovich

or Tallis

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
        The Shostakovich appears to be a contender for Bargain of Bargains, AmpH - well spotted

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

MDT seem to be having a sale - some prices will end on/by Tuesday. Quite a lot of Naxos for around £3.95 - http://www.mdt.co.uk/special-offers/...ance-sale.html There's a lot to explore, though not all the prices are down much. Maybe the Barbirolli Society issues will please some - I don't know how favourable the prices are. Explore - http://www.mdt.co.uk/april-eo?utm_so...ter-21-04-2013

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            The Shostakovich appears to be a contender for Bargain of Bargains, AmpH - well spotted
            Thanks for this am51...I didn't know about that complete Tallis set from Brilliant. Does anyone know what the performances are like?

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I didn't know about that complete Tallis set from Brilliant. Does anyone know what the performances are like?
              I'm no expert, but I've enjoyed listening to them.
              Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Thanks for this am51...I didn't know about that complete Tallis set from Brilliant. Does anyone know what the performances are like?
                I have got a 2 CD set performed by the Chappelle du Roi, which sounded fine to me. If I buy this set I will be duplicating those CDs, but nevertheless it seems a good buy. Perhaps Tallis afficonados might prefer other performances - I also have the Tallis scholars in some - but I'm not such an expert that I can really say that one group is clearly better than another. Reviewers, such as Jeremy Summerly might find more significant differences.

It's a relatively low outlay if you want to get to know some of this music, though perhaps a little goes a long way.

PS: You will, of course, find out where RVW got his theme from.
                Last edited by Dave2002; 22-04-13, 11:06.

Comment

• Rolmill
                  • Nov 2010

I have this set - it's generally well sung and recorded, though occasionally individual voices obtrude and diction can suffer in an over-reverberant acoustic. I like the performances: clear, unfussy, well-paced. I think there are better recordings of individual pieces (from the likes of the Tallis Scholars, Taverner Consort, Magnificat); nevertheless the overall standard is high and there is much music which only very rarely (if ever) appears on single (or even double) CD collections. So at the price, it's a genuine bargain IMHO.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks, folks, for these helpful comments. I am actually encouraged to hear that the recording is reverberant, I don't like very dry, close recordings for choral music. It does indeed sound like a great bargain...yet more space to be found on the already crowded shelves!

Comment

• Beef Oven

The eagle has landed!

Hats off for Mathias Broucek

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                        The eagle has landed!

Hats off for Mathias Broucek

That's good news, Beefy

Some of us are still waiting - 20 May is the forecast

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          That's good news, Beefy

Some of us are still waiting - 20 May is the forecast
                          I would suggest, Mr Ams, that this gives you just time to get thoroughly familiar with the german text of Gurrelieder, so that there is no need to seek out imperfect English translations. So its a bonus really !

anyway I flogged mine on market place,(£29.99 ATM) lots of it was tuneless rubbish TBH.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I would suggest, Mr Ams, that this gives you just time to get thoroughly familiar with the german text of Gurrelieder, so that there is no need to seek out imperfect English translations. So its a bonus really !

anyway I flogged mine on market place,(£29.99 ATM) lots of it was tuneless rubbish TBH.

I might have been interested in acquiring that "tuneless" rubbish from you in exchange for one/some of my own for re-sale-or-exchange discs.
                            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

I might have been interested in acquiring that "tuneless" rubbish from you in exchange for one/some of my own for re-sale-or-exchange discs.
                              I didn't really, throbbo. That was a little bit of fun.
                              Sadly backfired. I am sorry.

anyway, get that list out if you are cash strapped...I am in buying mood !!
                              (hope Mrs TS doesn't see this ...)

edit: And just to be serious for once, this is a cracking download bargain if it's available in wherever you are:

lots of great stuff on here.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Oh dear, ts sorry that you feel like that. I was fortunate enough to attend this Gurrelieder at the Proms

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

so I'm totally smitten by it already and I have recorded versions by Robert Craft and Simon Rattle too

Comment

Working...
                                X