Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    thought yours was coming on amazon prime?
    So did I, but I corrected my post when I discovered it wasn't coming until 11th April.

Can't believe it, I spend the equivalent of Jamaica's GDP on Amazon, Prime membership, and I'm gonna be the last to get it

It's so unfair - no wonder I have a persecution complex

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      It's so unfair - no wonder I have a persecution complex
      Remember, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't plotting against you...

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Beefy,I haven't got mine., but its on its way.
        Would you believe me if I told you I found a used set for £0.67 p?

Ok, I didn't.

However, my 5 cd "used" Mozart wind divertimenti from Zoverstocks at £2.45 turned out to be brand spanking new.

Not sure how keen i am on it, but its nice enough.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Remember, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't plotting against you...

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Someone may already have mentioned the offers from Europadisc under the Documents label, including these phenomenal recordings of four great Mozart operas all recorded around the same time:

Mozart - Operas (10CD) | Contents:Così fan tutteCast:- Fiordiligi: Lisa della Casa- Dorabella: Christa Ludwig- Guglielmo: Erich Kunz- Ferrando: Anton Dermo

The Böhm Cosi, the Erich Kleiber Figaro and the Fricsay Zauberflöte in particular have rarely been bettered on disc imo, and all (plus the Krips DG) for under £10.

There are also a lot of other interesting collections under that label which are worth exploring.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
              Someone may already have mentioned the offers from Europadisc under the Documents label, including these phenomenal recordings of four great Mozart operas all recorded around the same time:

Mozart - Operas (10CD) | Contents:Così fan tutteCast:- Fiordiligi: Lisa della Casa- Dorabella: Christa Ludwig- Guglielmo: Erich Kunz- Ferrando: Anton Dermo

The Böhm Cosi, the Erich Kleiber Figaro and the Fricsay Zauberflöte in particular have rarely been bettered on disc imo, and all (plus the Krips DG) for under £10.

A genuine bargain (even at the "full price" of £11.95!) I entirely agree that there these performances are wonderful (as is the Krips Don Giovanni, by the way) - Böhm's Cosi with Della Casa even better than his later EMI version. There are some of the usual staged cuts as was the custom at the time of recordings, and in (excellent) Mono sound - nonetheless, these really should be in every Mozart lover's collection. If these don't help Bbm see the light, there's no hope for him!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

as is the Krips Don Giovanni, by the way
                I can well believe it, ferney, but for some unaccountable reason I have yet to hear that recording and that was why I didn't comment on it. It seems to me that one of the great qualities of the Vienna recordings - apart from the superb playing of the VPO under the different conductors - is the way the soloists, though wonderful individual singers in their own right, work so well as an ensemble that it almost sounds as though you are hearing a fabulously talented repertory opera company. And this was surely because all of them had performed together over several years at the Vienna State Opera. To my mind no modern recording, where top soloists are brought together solely for the purposes of the recording, captures that quality of interplay.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Beefy,I haven't got mine., but its on its way.
                  Would you believe me if I told you I found a used set for £0.67 p?

Ok, I didn't.

However, my 5 cd "used" Mozart wind divertimenti from Zoverstocks at £2.45 turned out to be brand spanking new.

Not sure how keen i am on it, but its nice enough.
                  Good value ts, and the wind divertimenti are very pleasant

My Sinopoli set has been put back to this Friday for delivery.

They say they are dealing with orders in the order they were ordered - political correctnes gone mad innit!?

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

A genuine bargain (even at the "full price" of £11.95!) I entirely agree that there these performances are wonderful (as is the Krips Don Giovanni, by the way) - Böhm's Cosi with Della Casa even better than his later EMI version. There are some of the usual staged cuts as was the custom at the time of recordings, and in (excellent) Mono sound - nonetheless, these really should be in every Mozart lover's collection. If these don't help Bbm see the light, there's no hope for him!
                    Aren't these, or very similar performances, available for 4 euros as downloads from Classical Music Mobile?

See http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/48-mozart-w-a

I suppose the mp3 processing could compromise the sound compared to CDs, thogh it might not make so much difference with these older recordings.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Aren't these, or very similar performances, available for 4 euros as downloads from Classical Music Mobile?

See http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/48-mozart-w-a

I suppose the mp3 processing could compromise the sound compared to CDs, thogh it might not make so much difference with these older recordings.
                      Yep (also available from the Tax dodgers, but at the extortionate price of £2.67 each!

... the Kleiber Figaro more expensive (£4.49) in this series:

There's also Beecham's Flute for £1.78:

At ALL costs AVOID this::

... all the performances mentioned by aeolium for less than a Fiver? Must be too good to be true, surely? Instincts are right - great chunks are missed out; second halves of Finales the most exasperating dissection!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

But it's only 1 euro at CMM!

Probably the same - http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/...y-beecham.html

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                          Good value ts, and the wind divertimenti are very pleasant

My Sinopoli set has been put back to this Friday for delivery.

They say they are dealing with orders in the order they were ordered - political correctnes gone mad innit!?
                          The eagle has landed here.
                          Looking at the track listings I am ashamed to admit that I only know the Berg Violin Concerto out of all that lot.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            The eagle has landed here.
                            Looking at the track listings I am ashamed to admit that I only know the Berg Violin Concerto out of all that lot.
                            Lucky devil!!! (only knowing the violin concerto) You have so much excellent stuff to discover!!!

And lucky devil #2 for receiving the blessed thing! Mine's been put back to an 8th of May earliest possible delivery!!!

This is wrong because:
                            A) I spend a fortune in Amazon
                            B) Prime member
                            C) Unlike people in here, I don't call them tax dodgers, slag them off, then hypocritically buy at their great prices!

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              But it's only 1 euro at CMM!

Probably the same - http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/...y-beecham.html
                              I have dabbled with cheap Amazon mp3 downloads in the past and found that CMM win out on sound quality basis on almost all occasions.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                                I have dabbled with cheap Amazon mp3 downloads in the past and found that CMM win out on sound quality basis on almost all occasions.
                                The guy at CMM clearly cares about music. Amazon mp3 vendors of out-of-copyright material range from the pretty good to the criminally negligent.....

Comment

Working...
                                X