X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by murieston View Post
    I think the Presto Spring Clearout has been mentioned before- but for me the best bargain would be the complete Beethoven Violin Sonatas by Capucon and Braley. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Virgin/6420010 I absolutely love their playing.
    The three CDs are currently £6.91 plus £1.50 p and p. I have the complete set by Faust and Melnikov and the Wigmore Hall sessions by Ibragimova and Tiberghien both sets are magnificent but the Capucon and Braley set is in no way inferior. For the money, however, the Capucon and Braley set is a no-brainer. It's wonderful. Buy it before it disappears.
    I whole heartedly concur about the Capucon/Braley set. However, be aware that the Presto Spring Clearout is advertised to finish tomorrow (20th). However, MDT also has an EMI Clearance Sale (which includes Virgin Classics) which overlaps considerably with that from Presto but continues until the 27th. The Capucon/Braley set is even cheaper here (£6.50) but the snag is the £3 delivery irrespective of the number of items. However, MDT also sell as an Amazon Marketplace seller where the set is currently £6.48 + £1.26 delivery! (The usual high quality packing still applies).

It is worth perusing both the Presto (while it lasts) and MDT clearances - the latter is more often a little cheaper on price and if only one or two items are wanted then checking the latter's Marketplace listing where delivery is cheaper can produce a saving - provided it is listed there of course. However, the MDT marketplace prices can fluctuate somewhat over time. There are a number of real bargains in these clearances e.g. the Faure complete chamber music for piano and strings 5cd box from Virgin (again with Capucon), Rattle's 2nd Viennese School and Beethoven symphony boxes, Beecham's English Music and Later Traditions boxes, a number of British Composer 5cd boxes........

Last edited by hafod; 19-03-13, 09:46. Reason: typo

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I've just ordered the 50CD Vienna Philharmonic Symphony box set from MDT at £76. The Levine Mozart set forms part of it and that cost more than this entire box.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Jlw has pointed out what a wonderful thing the Berlin PO Digital Concert Hall is. They have now expanded their 9.99EUR taster ticket from 2-days to 7-days

What a bargain treat for yourself! - and you can even buy and send one as a gift which is exactly what I shall do for a music-loving friend when he's had his heart operation this week and is back home
        Friend's heart op has been postponed til 10 April ... but I still intend to get him the DCH treat as and when.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          I've just ordered the 50CD Vienna Philharmonic Symphony box set from MDT at £76. The Levine Mozart set forms part of it and that cost more than this entire box.
          A very impressive purchase, EA which I'm certain will give you many hours of listening pleasure.

Does it come with a robot to lift the box on & off your shelf?

Comment

• Mandryka

Had a very good day in the beautiful city of York yesterday and picked up the following, chez Oxfam/BHF:

Il Trovatore - Pavrarotti/Sutherland/Bonynge (1986 Decca edition with libretto/slipcase): £5.99
            Don Carlos - Pavarotti/Ramey/Muti - £3,99
            L'Amico Fritz - Pavarotti/Freni/Gavazenni - £3.99
            Britten's War Requiem - LSO/Hickox - £3.99
            Maw's Odyssey - CBSO/Rattle - £3.99
            Bellini's Il Pirata - Caballe/Cappuccilli - £3.99

Also bought two new waistcoats, but not from charity shops!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              Had a very good day in the beautiful city of York yesterday and picked up the following, chez Oxfam/BHF:

Il Trovatore - Pavrarotti/Sutherland/Bonynge (1986 Decca edition with libretto/slipcase): £5.99
              Don Carlos - Pavarotti/Ramey/Muti - £3,99
              L'Amico Fritz - Pavarotti/Freni/Gavazenni - £3.99
              Britten's War Requiem - LSO/Hickox - £3.99
              Maw's Odyssey - CBSO/Rattle - £3.99
              Bellini's Il Pirata - Caballe/Cappuccilli - £3.99

Also bought two new waistcoats, but not from charity shops!
              Isn't the point of this thread to point others to bargains that are currently available online?
              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                Isn't the point of this thread to point others to bargains that are currently available online?
                I'd always thought that's what it's about, yes Throppers

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

.. ah, but if you have just bought a couple of fancy weskits I'm sure you want to tell the world all about it

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

A thread (only) about bargains

A cracker here from the grocery people for those who like Monteverdi madrigals. Not sure if there are texts included.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I need add no more.
                      For this relief, much thanks.

Back to the bargains, I keep coming back to the "new" Berglund Sibelius box as one of the most attractive bargains recently... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=1735507031 ... and wondering why I haven't gone for it!

Remedied!!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Back to the bargains, I keep coming back to the "new" Berglund Sibelius box as one of the most attractive bargains recently... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=1735507031 ... and wondering why I haven't gone for it!

Remedied!!
                        Did I imagine it, or didn't Berglund also record the Kullervo symphony - missing from this box? Its absence is what puts me off purchasing.

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

Karajan's EMI set of the Schubert symphonies here for £5.99

[Ed: (No ref to this post of Parry1912) As an aside, there have been two complaints about this thread's direction - posts now on Diversions closed: no further discussion. This thread is for 'Bargains' - ff]
                          Last edited by french frank; 21-03-13, 15:59.
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Did I imagine it, or didn't Berglund also record the Kullervo symphony - missing from this box? Its absence is what puts me off purchasing.
                            He did indeed, record Kullervo which appears on the first incarnation of the set, consisting in total of 8 CDs; so there is in fact, quite a wealth of work which is not in the current 4 disc set.....

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

That's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons! And the "winner" is.......?

As an aside, the Naxos recording of this is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X