Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka

I've been very impressed with Sainsburys recently: my Klemperer/Bruckner box took only two days to arrive, despite the Christmas postage. Also, they're not morally tainted, as amazon are, and they're British, too!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... aw, you're preventing us from what we really want - Cat Stevens, Kiss, Cher, Barry White....
      Surely there should be an "Icon Tina Turner"?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... aw, you're preventing us from what we really want - Cat Stevens, Kiss, Cher, Barry White....
        Mme Vints asked me to steer you clear of those albums vints, after the Clive Dunn boxed set debacle

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

"Icon". "Ike an'" ...

Oh, thank you; is that my coat? Very kind.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Before I head out into the tumbleweed, Forumistas might be interested in this:

... Boult's first cycle of the RVW Symphonies from the 1950s, complete (including the Ninth), for less than a fiver! They are trying to get us to overlook their Tax dodges, aren't they!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Before I head out into the tumbleweed, Forumistas might be interested in this:

... Boult's first cycle of the RVW Symphonies from the 1950s, complete (including the Ninth), for less than a fiver! They are trying to get us to overlook their Tax dodges, aren't they!
              Got me all excited there, ferney

It's a flickin' Hempeethree innit

You young people and your digital downloads
              Last edited by Guest; 15-12-12, 14:55. Reason: trypo

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I have not had good experiences with some of the reissues from LP - some have been no more than needle-drops onto LPs in less than serviceable condition and were a complete waste of money. Others from, for example, Pristine and Dutton, have been pretty good all round, as have been the few 1 euro ones from classical music mobile.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Got me all excited there, ferney

You young people and your digital downloads
                  Hoopsadaisy! Yep; forgot to mention that bit!

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Mme Vints asked me to steer you clear of those albums vints, after the Clive Dunn boxed set debacle
                    ... I had clearly hinted I wanted a nice edition of Odhecaton B ; she had equally clearly hinted she wanted a decent supply of Jo Malone - how it came to pass that we both gave each other copies of Clive Dunn's "Grandad" I shall never understand...

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                      I've been very impressed with Sainsburys recently.
                      Me, too, but one annoying thing is that if you download an MP3 album (sorry, audiophiles, but at least Sainsbury's MP3s are 320 kbps), the files all for some reason have a .tmp extension added after .mp3, and as far as I know you have to manually change all these and delete the .tmp extension. Frustrating. Anyone know the reason, or a workaround?

(My reputation will no doubt plummet still further when I reveal that the MP3 I downloaded was the Sargent recording of Messiah highlights with the Huddersfield Choral Soc. I suddenly came over all nostalgic for my 1950s childhood when Messiah, usually with Sargent if I remember rightly, was broadcast without fail every year before Christmas.)

Comment

• Parry1912
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Hoopsadaisy! Yep; forgot to mention that bit!
                        Just as well you already had your coat on!
                        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                          Just as well you already had your coat on!

Comment

• Andrew Preview
                            • May 2011

A makeshift Karajan Brahms cycle (1-3 from his 1980s set, No. 4 from the late 1970s) for just £5.77 from Amazon is too tempting to resist. I don't know Karajan's digital Brahms symphony recordings, but I gather that 1 and 2 from that set are very good while the third is disappointing. At that price, I'll be buying it anyway, but I'd be interested to hear what others think of these readings.
                            "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bob_Crotchet View Post
                              A makeshift Karajan Brahms cycle (1-3 from his 1980s set, No. 4 from the late 1970s) for just £5.77 from Amazon is too tempting to resist. I don't know Karajan's digital Brahms symphony recordings, but I gather that 1 and 2 from that set are very good while the third is disappointing. At that price, I'll be buying it anyway, but I'd be interested to hear what others think of these readings.
                              IMO, Karajan's finest Brahms set is the one from the '60s; the '89s cycle is very good (the sound on the original issues is a bit odd - bright and muffled at the same time?!) and I particularly treasure the First as I bought it at the RFH at Herbie's last London concert. The '70s set has the best sound of the three (based on the original issues - I haven't heard any more recent remasterings) but the least successful overall performances - good, but there are better versions by Karajan, Boult, Klemperer, Jochum, Loughran and even ('tho' judging by people's responses when I've said this before, I'm alone in this) Böhm for similar forces in a similar price-range. At £5.77, this "pseudo-set" is still a bargain and, unless they've really messed up the sound, I don't think you'll be at all disappointed.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Today's free download from Linn Records is JS Bach: Concerto VI in F Major, BWV 1057. Annoyingly, it's only the third movement: "Allegro assai". I hate movements like this in isolation. Surely making the whole concerto available would be more in the Christmas spirit

Comment

Working...
                                X