X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    The number for Vol 1 is Brilliant Classics 92196. However I have been singularly unsuccessful in tracking down supplies. You may just have to buy the set all over again to get volume 1. Bummer, as they say. I did try ebay too.
    Assuming I have identified the right volume, the only source seems to be Amazon Marketplace. Cheapest at Amazon.de (Used - very good - €7.30/£11.93 delivered)

Also at Amazon.uk (Used - like new - £13.99/15.25 delivered)

Not quite the bargain we are accustomed to on this thread. Maybe therefore purchase the complete set (shame the Archiv deal has expired), sell the individual volumes to offset some of the cost and save shelf space. Probably simplistic as the individual volumes may not sell now the box is available.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Kicking myself for not including that Schütz set in my Archiv order. I did consider it, then thought I might be ordering too much. The Belder Scarlatti and the Frescobaldi box arrived yesterday. Another 4 boxes on their way. I should have ordered the Schütz in place of the Tchaikovsky box I suppose.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Kicking myself for not including that Schütz set in my Archiv order. I did consider it, then thought I might be ordering too much. The Belder Scarlatti and the Frescobaldi box arrived yesterday. Another 4 boxes on their way. I should have ordered the Schütz in place of the Tchaikovsky box I suppose.
        Who is this imposter? Can we have the real Bryn back please.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Kees View Post
          I ordered the Strauss, Classical Guitar, Borodin, Schutz and Scarlatti Editions. All together 125 CD's so enough till Christmas (2013??)!
          Kees, or anyone else who ordered the set before the offer ended, would you please remind me of the offer price? I want to know just how hard to kick myself.

Comment

• Kees

Kees, or anyone else who ordered the set before the offer ended, would you please remind me of the offer price? I want to know just how hard to kick myself.
            You mean the Schutz set? I paid £ 14,99 ;-) you can sent an email to Arkiv and tell them that you forgot to order this set. Who knows they can help you. They are very flexible I know from experience....

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Thanks Kees, worth a try at least.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Thanks for making me feel bad! I forgot to buy that set, and have now ordered it, but what the heck, it's not such a bad price and seems recommended, and I tacked on the piano quintets also mentioned recently. Paying £15 more than I need have done deserves 3 kicks, but it's not the end of the world.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

13+ hours of Christmas download for £7...

Steve

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Christma...81720&sr=301-1
                    Oh God - 13 hours of this; my idea of hell!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                      Oh God - 13 hours of this; my idea of hell!
                      ...and they've omitted Slade and Wizzard!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        ...and they've omitted Slade and Wizzard!
                        Thank heavens for small mercies!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                          Assuming I have identified the right volume, the only source seems to be Amazon Marketplace ... Also at Amazon.uk (Used - like new - £13.99/15.25 delivered)

Not quite the bargain we are accustomed to on this thread. Maybe therefore purchase the complete set (shame the Archiv deal has expired), sell the individual volumes to offset some of the cost and save shelf space. Probably simplistic as the individual volumes may not sell now the box is available.
                          Many thanks for this, hafod; I've ordered a "pristine" second-hand copy for just over £15 - c£3 a disc still seems a bargain and saves me the faff of selling the sets I have and on which I've also written the dates when I played the discs. (I do this on all my CDs: rather geekily obsessive, but I find it interesting to see which discs I play most often.)

It also occured to me that the new 19-disc Boxed set isn't the last word. The bioblurb for Messori given in the booklet issued with Vol3 states that he is recording "the complete works of Schutz for Brilliant Classics - there are still many pieces not recorded (the various Psalm settings not least), so is a Volume 6 (&7) planned (and, if so, will this/these be issued separately or will there be another "complete" Schutz edition box in a couple of years' time), or has Brilliant ditched the project (or has Messori signed a contract with another Company to complete the set)?

I think we ought to be told!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Christma...81720&sr=301-1
                            I see others don't like it. Maybe it's because they missed out South Park.

Seriously, is it all bad? There could be some good things in there amongst the rest, though some of the Alfred Deller and Maurice Bevan may be beyond their sell by date.

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              .......and saves me the faff of selling the sets I have and on which I've also written the dates when I played the discs. (I do this on all my CDs: rather geekily obsessive, but I find it interesting to see which discs I play most often.)
                              Nothing 'geeky' about that! I also find it illuminating to have a record of when I last played a disc. I use a 'post-it' note on the booklet so if I want to sell at a later date (usually when a box set leads to a little duplication), there is no explaining to do.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Though the lowest priced set has gone since yesterday morning, there are still a couple of the 10 CD complete piano music of John Cage listed (New) on the amazon.co.uk marketplace at less then £30 plus £1.26 p&p. As mentioned in yesterday's CD Review feature on Cage, this is a very fine survey by Steffen Schleiermacher. I got it when it was first released about ten years ago and remain very pleased with both performance and recording quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X