X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    I've ordered from them and can recommend them.

The process follows the typical online sequence, so you don't really have to speak German.
    That Verdi collection consists of earlier recordings, from 1927 up to 1955.

Might be good, but you'd have to be prepared for that.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
      Not sure I need it in triplicate - the perils of collecting big boxes!

To make up for my digressions on this thread have a look at this German site. Some good bargain label prices and postage to the UK is a fixed 9 Euros.
      Zweitausendeins have (had?) a number of shops throughout Germany. I often visited the one in Colognne (and occasionaly Berlin) many years ago. The shop had many items not available on the net and often at extraordinarily low prices. Do these shops still exist and are they still the treasure troves they used to be?

Comment

• DublinJimbo
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        Zweitausendeins have (had?) a number of shops throughout Germany. I often visited the one in Colognne (and occasionaly Berlin) many years ago. The shop had many items not available on the net and often at extraordinarily low prices. Do these shops still exist and are they still the treasure troves they used to be?
        I can vouch for a branch in Freiburg, which I visited earlier this year. It isn't exactly a treasure trove, but it's certainly worth a visit.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Even more Boult - http://www.selections.com/elgar-sir-...ucts-5cds.html don't know if these are good or not.

Also spotted at Selections - the Aeolian quartet plus .. in Schubert's quintet. Used to be on Saga I think - very good performance IIRC. 3 CD set by Barshai - even with the duplication of some Shostakovich could be worth having. Lastly, a box of Rimsky Korsakov - probably won't appeal to many -25 CDs!

Comment

• Mandryka

The DG Wagner box referred to upthread arrived today. Actually, it probably arrived a couple of days earlier but I'd been working in Southampton and had to scuttle off to the Postal Depot in order to claim it before the place closed. Very impressive it looks, too: amazing to have ALL the operas (not just the Bayreuth canon) in one tidy place, even if it involves some duplication.

Not played any yet, as listening to some bargains I picked up while in Winchester/Southampton/Eastleigh, namely:

Chopin, Preludes - Pogorelich

Howells - Hymnus Paradisi RLPO/Handley (never heard this before and I like it a lot)

Shostakovich - Symphonies 6 and 11 Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra/Berglund.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Even more Boult - http://www.selections.com/elgar-sir-...ucts-5cds.html don't know if these are good or not.
              I suspect these are LP transfers of out-of-copyright material

Comment

• spasuit

I am visiting Amsterdam in the New Year, Anyone have recommendations for good classical shops which offer unusual and cheap repertoire? I would love to collect some Dutch/Belgian music. Any suggestions?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  I suspect these are LP transfers of out-of-copyright material
                  ...and the transfers as with some other recent Regis issues have not had universally good reviews. I explored Selections as a result of a flier in BBC Magazine and succumbed to a couple of Brilliant Russian sets at £6.99 each - Mravinsky and Svetlanov and some interesting live Budapest PO/Sacchini recordings at 99p each.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    ...and the transfers as with some other recent Regis issues have not had universally good reviews. I explored Selections as a result of a flier in BBC Magazine and succumbed to a couple of Brilliant Russian sets at £6.99 each - Mravinsky and Svetlanov and some interesting live Budapest PO/Sacchini recordings at 99p each.
                    Interesting that you tried the Budapest recordings. Are any reasonably good? Heck, only 99p! i didn't realise they were live recordings.

The Selections web site has been redesigned, and that is not very helpful, so now I only visit occasionally. I may have to go back to using their paper based catalogues. Whether their profits will go up or down because of their web site update I couldn't say.

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                      • Sep 2012

Has anyone else got their eye on this?

I'm new to Schumann's piano pieces and wonder whether it's a good place to start.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Interesting that you tried the Budapest recordings. Are any reasonably good? Heck, only 99p! i didn't realise they were live recordings.
                        Whilst they would not replace my favourite versions of the works they are good recordings - and well filled discs Schumann 2 c/w Brahms VC, Berlioz Sym Fant and S-S PC2, Tchaik Sym 1 and Prokofiev PC3, Tchaik Manfred and Rach Vocalise, and a Hungarian orchestra at home with Hary Janos and Bartok C for O. If you're ordering other stuff worth trying as makeweights to justify the postage.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Also spotted at Selections - the Aeolian quartet plus .. in Schubert's quintet. Used to be on Saga I think - very good performance IIRC. 3 CD set by Barshai - even with the duplication of some Shostakovich could be worth having. Lastly, a box of Rimsky Korsakov - probably won't appeal to many -25 CDs!
                          Dave- I am pretty sure someone has given these transfers the big thumbs down somewhere on this board possibly in the Alfredo Campoli thread .

Comment

• mathias broucek
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by spasuit View Post
                            I am visiting Amsterdam in the New Year, Anyone have recommendations for good classical shops which offer unusual and cheap repertoire? I would love to collect some Dutch/Belgian music. Any suggestions?
                            Diepenbrock is terrific if you like orchestral songs in the manner of Mahler, Strauss or Korngold. I started a thread about him a month or so ago.

You should also try to go to a concert at the Concertgebouw. I thoroughly enjoyed a concert there recently

Don't know about Dutch record shops - sorry!

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by spasuit View Post
                              I can't help with classical shops but as far as Dutch/Belgian music is concerned I would draw attention to the 50cd box by the Liege Philharmonic issued for the orchestra's 50th anniversary. It has a significant proportion of the kind of music you are looking for. It is a bit pricey now (I got mine soon after it came out for £32 and great value it is) and it may be worth looking out for during your visit. The link includes a contents list in one of the reviews.

I see that Amazon France has this at a more reasonable €48 so perhaps it may not be any cheaper in an Amsterdam classical shop.
                              Last edited by hafod; 09-11-12, 19:44. Reason: adding the second link

Comment

• spasuit

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                I can't help with classical shops but as far as Dutch/Belgian music is concerned I would draw attention to the 50cd box by the Liege Philharmonic issued for the orchestra's 50th anniversary. It has a significant proportion of the kind of music you are looking for. It is a bit pricey now (I got mine soon after it came out for £32 and great value it is) and it may be worth looking out for during your visit. The link includes a contents list in one of the reviews.

I see that Amazon France has this at a more reasonable €48 so perhaps it may not be any cheaper in an Amsterdam classical shop.
                                http://www.amazon.fr/50e-Anniversair...SIN=B004DKDO1A
                                Thanks for that, will look out for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X