Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

There are quite a number of Sony box sets appearing, either good value from amazon, or sometimes significantly cheaper from amazon marketplace sellers. This one looks good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sym...=pd_sim_m_h__3 - Bruckner/Wand.

Other similar boxes include artists such as Munch, Reiner, Szell, Heifetz. Follow the links to similar items and browse around.

Perhaps these are better starting points for such browsing

Last edited by Dave2002; 16-08-12, 15:24. Reason: grammar fix

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      There are quite a number of Sony box sets appearing, either good value from amazon, or sometimes significantly cheaper. From amazon marketplace sellers. This one looks good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sym...=pd_sim_m_h__3 - Bruckner/Wand.
      I still have to get used to the fact that it's Sony now releasing these outstanding Bruckner/Wand recordings, and not RCA (though the latter's logo is still present at this box, as it is with the Munch, the Cliburn and the Rubinstein boxes).
      For those looking for the Kubelik set, please note that these are not Kubelik's Berlin Phil recordings of the Schumann symphonies, but the later recorded (for CBS/Sony) with the Bavarian RSO. IMO the former are preferable, though the latter are simply good - and value for money, btw.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

(And I am a great fan of Crowson, and the Melos, PJPJ, so I was in no way trying to devalue your suggestion!)
        Don, PJPJ (and any other admirers of this great chamber music ensemble) - this seems to me to be an extraordinary bargain, albeit on download only. It seems to be very similar to the Melos Icon box set in contents but at only £7.49!:

It does incidentally contain a recording of the Trout Quintet and the Adagio and Rondo Concertante.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          Don, PJPJ (and any other admirers of this great chamber music ensemble) - this seems to me to be an extraordinary bargain, albeit on download only. It seems to be very similar to the Melos Icon box set in contents but at only £7.49!:

It does incidentally contain a recording of the Trout Quintet and the Adagio and Rondo Concertante.
          I am reminded how tiresome it is that Amazon can't be bothered to indicate the composer in their list of contents. Other sellers manage to do so. It does seem to be the same as the Icon box which cost me £18 in April but has now gone up.

Comment

• silvestrione
            • Jan 2011

I have purchased the Melos download, which does seem to be a treasure trove and a bargain. BUT, and to go off thread slightly, ANY SQUEEZE BOX USERS OUT THERE? If I try to play them through Squeeze Box server, they come up with some tracks muddled up. Seems to be a Squeeze Box problem, as they are in the right order in the Amazon MP3 folder. Anyone any experience in this area who can offer any advice?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
              I have purchased the Melos download, which does seem to be a treasure trove and a bargain. BUT, and to go off thread slightly, ANY SQUEEZE BOX USERS OUT THERE? If I try to play them through Squeeze Box server, they come up with some tracks muddled up. Seems to be a Squeeze Box problem, as they are in the right order in the Amazon MP3 folder. Anyone any experience in this area who can offer any advice?
              Not sure if it is a specifically squeezebox problem. it may also happen with an MP3 player. A year or so back I bought a terrific bargain - a complete set of Wagner operas as MP3s for not much more than £20 - and some of them started playing in odd orders in iTunes. Most probably it's the mp3 tags which need fixing, though with so many tracks that may turn out to be non-trivial. I also have the Melos set, but on CDs. I would not expect a problem if I rip them to HD. I had the Melos set as a Christmas present, though I did tip off the givers where to get it cheap. i think it was about £16 then. At around £7-8 the mp3 set is a bargain, but it's not worth spending a lot more. The price may also have gone up since it was pointed out.

The comparison on the web site is ludicrous - that set has a lot of tracks - no way it's £100 worth!

Comment

• AmpH
                • Feb 2012

The Melos ( ICON ) box is currently selling for £ 17-99 at Sainsburys

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

EMI Clearance Sale - MDT

Some astonishing reductions here:

Comment

• johnb
                    • Mar 2007

As Dave said it is almost certainly a problem with the tags.

The play order that Squeezebox uses (within an album, say) is determined by the Track No. tag. If it is a multidisc album the play order is based on the Disc and Track numbers.

(An "Album" can by anything you decide, if you edit the tags, but each "Album" must have a unique name.)

There are many different programmes available to edit mp3, flac, m4a tags but a standard recommendation is Mp3Tag, which available from here. It will also enable you too see what other tags were set up and you can then decide whether you want to edit any of them.)

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                      As Dave said it is almost certainly a problem with the tags.

The play order that Squeezebox uses (within an album, say) is determined by the Track No. tag. If it is a multidisc album the play order is based on the Disc and Track numbers.

(An "Album" can by anything you decide, if you edit the tags, but each "Album" must have a unique name.)

There are many different programmes available to edit mp3, flac, m4a tags but a standard recommendation is Mp3Tag, which available from here. It will also enable you too see what other tags were set up and you can then decide whether you want to edit any of them.)
                      Hmm....many thanks for your helpful comments, but it looks like I may be out of my depth here! Thanks anyway.

Comment

• johnb
                        • Mar 2007

Hmm....many thanks for your helpful comments, but it looks like I may be out of my depth here! Thanks anyway.
                        Sorry to have made it sound forbidding. Just download and install mp3tag. Open the software. Select File/Change Directory and point to the folder containing the Melos mp3 files. It will then display all the individual files and their tags. (You can scroll to see see tags off the screen to the left, change the display size for the tags or change their display positions, e.g. you can drag the Track heading to a more convenient place.)

You will then be able to see what the problem is. To edit any track/file - just click on it and the details will appear in the panel on the left. Edit what you want and then click on the floppy disc button, at the top, to save those edits. Easy! (Though a bit tedious.)

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

MDT are doing an EMI clearance. Some good prices:

Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• mathias broucek
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                            MDT are doing an EMI clearance. Some good prices:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/special-offers/...ter-20-08-2012
                            And now I've gone and purchased even more CDs...... NOT the plan!

There are some outstanding Rattle deals here (Mahler, British, Beethoven) plus Beecham's Haydn, a tempting 20th Century box and some vocal ICONs.

PS Thanks Parry

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

mmmm .. Still processing that EMI list. There are only 220 or so items on offer.

Whilst doing so I cross referenced amazon and other sources, and thought I'd check out Slatkin.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new VW symphonies

Slatkin doing VW might be a good thing. I know he was not universally loved while over here, but from the VW Prom programme last week I noticed/was reminded that he'd done a pretty decent VW performance at the Proms in 2008 - which I attended.

At under £10 from market place vendors this might be worth having or around £15 direct from amazon.

Comment

• Parry1912
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Whilst doing so I cross referenced amazon and other sources, and thought I'd check out Slatkin.

At under £10 from market place vendors this might be worth having or around £15 direct from amazon.
                                I bought it from that vendor at that price although I haven't got around to listening to it yet. I am looking forward to hearing it.

Having already bought Rattle's Mahler box I was gutted when I saw the price that MDT are doing it for now.

Dare I say that it's an obligatory purchase at that price?
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X