Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

My last post mentioned a missing booklet, from the 2 CD set of Purcell Odes with James Bowman and Gustav Leonhardt. This went back to Momox who gave me a refund. I tried my luck again buying the same set, this time from rebuy Commerce - would you believe the set turned up today, again without the booklet! What is it with these companies that don't check the contents of what they are selling?!

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

More problems for me with Momox today. They sent the right CD jacket (DHM) but the disc inside was not the same artists (Naxos). I think I really will stop ordering from them now, I've had too many mistakes with them.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I ordered a 2 CD set from Momox described as used - very good.

It arrived today with both CDs covered in the foam inserts that had completely disintegrated leaving what looked like a pile of sand, some of which has stuck to the discs. The playing surface is fine but I'm wary of putting the CDs in the player. Aren't Momox obliged to clean them up before they sell them on?

Can anyone suggest a way to remove the residue?

While on the subject of Momox, I bought a CD from them a fortnight ago which was fine, but the booklet was in a truly terrible state. Goodness knows what the previous owner had been doing with it!

I don't have these issues with discs from Music Magpie.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I ordered a 2 CD set from Momox described as used - very good.

It arrived today with both CDs covered in the foam inserts that had completely disintegrated leaving what looked like a pile of sand, some of which has stuck to the discs. The playing surface is fine but I'm wary of putting the CDs in the player. Aren't Momox obliged to clean them up before they sell them on?

Can anyone suggest a way to remove the residue?

While on the subject of Momox, I bought a CD from them a fortnight ago which was fine, but the booklet was in a truly terrible state. Goodness knows what the previous owner had been doing with it!

I don't have these issues with discs from Music Magpie.
          It's interesting to hear of someone else having a problem with Momox and your unfortunate episode of the foam inserts only reinforces my view that the discs are not checked before being put on sale and given a description of their condition. Unfortunately getting rid of the foam residue is tricky - what about applying Sellotape to the affected areas and then see if it will lift it off?

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

It's interesting to hear of someone else having a problem with Momox and your unfortunate episode of the foam inserts only reinforces my view that the discs are not checked before being put on sale and given a description of their condition. Unfortunately getting rid of the foam residue is tricky - what about applying Sellotape to the affected areas and then see if it will lift it off?
            I've decided that it's not worth the bother of trying to remove the sticky residue as it looks to be too deeply ingrained and consider it too risky to put into my CD player even after attempting a clean up.

The cost of the set hardly makes it worthwhile returning and I've reordered from elsewhere.

I will now be boycotting Momox.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I've decided that it's not worth the bother of trying to remove the sticky residue as it looks to be too deeply ingrained and consider it too risky to put into my CD player even after attempting a clean up.

The cost of the set hardly makes it worthwhile returning and I've reordered from elsewhere.

I will now be boycotting Momox.
              sorry to hear about your experience. I have received many discs from Momox and had no issues.
              I would try soap and water, perhaps leaving the discs in a lukewarm mix for a few minutes. If some residue remains then repeat until it's all off. Then dry with a clean microfiber cloth. you've got nothing to lose .

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Not a pre-owned CD supplier, but a book supplier WoB.

One book which mrs D ordered from WoB was described as slightly less than perfect, having some writing by a previous user.

When it arrived it was indeed in almost perfect condition, having been signed by the author!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

sorry to hear about your experience. I have received many discs from Momox and had no issues.
                  I would try soap and water, perhaps leaving the discs in a lukewarm mix for a few minutes. If some residue remains then repeat until it's all off. Then dry with a clean microfiber cloth. you've got nothing to lose .
                  Take a photo first of what you have got - might help you pursue a return claim if necessary. I've done this (added on edit: successfully cleaned discs) at least once in the past.

Try this Google search:
                  remove degraded foam from CD rom disc

You'll find numerous web pages on this topic.

On Edit: - sorry, now see you've decided to drop the matter - should have noticed that.....
                  Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 08-08-24, 13:39.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                    • Feb 2024

Never mind decrepit foam in discs I’ve just bought, I keep finding it in some of the discs that have been on my shelves for decades! Every so often I attack the shelves to try to do away with it completely, but I still keep finding more

I often order from medimops on the Brazilian river site’s marketplace. I tried ordering direct from their own website (partly because the postage was a bit less, partly because I really don’t like sending my hard-earned to the Brazilians) but found that when defective stuff came along their terms were a lot less favourable than the Brazilians offered. (Typically: a discount off my next purchase as opposed to ‘here is a full refund, don’t bother returning the CDs, sorry for the bother’.) So I reluctantly stopped ordering from them directly. As one would.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

Take a photo first of what you have got - might help you pursue a return claim if necessary. I've done this (added on edit: successfully cleaned discs) at least once in the past.

Try this Google search:
                      remove degraded foam from CD rom disc

You'll find numerous web pages on this topic.

On Edit: - sorry, now see you've decided to drop the matter - should have noticed that.....
                      Judging from the state of the foam inserts (they were coffee brown and disintegrated at the slightest touch) they must have been there for 30 years or more as the CDs were issued in 1990. My guess is that the double jewel case had never been opened, certainly not by Momox who clearly have no quality control at all.

in view of the above, you can probably imagine the state of the CDs which were completely covered in a brown sticky mess. The playing surface is absolutely fine but the label surface on both discs is in such a bad state that even after a big clean up, I wouldn't have been happy to put them anywhere near my CD player. Better to just write off the loss and bin them.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Agreed about the lack of quality control. I don't think it even occurs to Momox that booklets might be missing going by the number of times I've had that complaint with them.

Comment

• soileduk
                          • Nov 2010

“I often order from medimops on the Brazilian river site’s marketplace”

momox and medimops are both parts of the same company.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by soileduk View Post

momox and medimops are both parts of the same company.
                            ... indeed so : I still order from both ; sometimes the quality is inadequate, but usually pretty good : the prices are attractive, and when things aren't right they're quick to reimburse. I can't really complain.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... indeed so : I still order from both ; sometimes the quality is inadequate, but usually pretty good : the prices are attractive, and when things aren't right they're quick to reimburse. I can't really complain.

I was worried that Brexit might put a halt to their excellent CDs & Books after this post on their website a few years ago... But, mercifully not.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Despite my earlier moans, I have to give credit where it is due to Momox...I found the 3CD Ciccolini set of Déodat de Séverac from them on offer at 11 pounds and it arrived today, new and sealed. I guess it's just pot luck with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X