X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Interesting - I'm thinking of buyin recordings of the symphonies 1-3 & read Amazon reviews that suggested HVK missed the lightness & humour (?) of the 1st. So I've decided on this - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/N...assics/8802036 & http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-...ikovsky+polish
    I've just done a quick A/B listen of Markevitch/Karajan in 'Winter Daydreams' and, while the BPO playing is generally smoother than that of the LSO, I find the Karajan just a bit under-characterised by comparison with Markevitch. The fault may partly lie with the Karajan recording (or the CD mastering of it - the cheap box and not, alas, a Universal Japan version) but it just doesn't set my heather on fire. I wouldn't hesitate to acquire the Markevitch set - the recording barely shows its age (there is a slight amount of hiss but the ear adjusts quickly). I have the Newton Classics re-issue which has none of the pressing issues mentioned in the Amazon reviews.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Never really found HvK convincing in Tchaikovsky, despite the skilled and virtuoso dispatch....

No-one as fond of the Dorati/LSO in 1-3 as I am? There's little missing of Russian-ness, orchestral brilliance or recording quality, which is outstanding even by Mercury's standards.

With Svetlanov, there are many issues flying around (some of suspect provenance) including lowrate downloads. But for me, the live 1990 Tokyo cycle is terrific throughout. Originally on Pony Canyon HDCDs, latterly found on Warners Svetlanov edition (what I've heard of it was sonically less pleasing (I sent the Rachmaninov back!), and not HDCD), and more recently reissued on Exton in Japan, which on past Exton experience should sound magnificent, though it won't be cheap. I missed out on the 1990 No.3 when I bought the Canyon Classics HDCDs about 7 years ago, aquired it recently for about £50... et je ne regrette rien!

There's a later Moscow Studio Svetlanov cycle on Canyon (1993) which is supremely well-recorded and very precisely played - an x-ray of the score, but suffers some eccentrically slow tempi which don't always add up to any re-creative excitements...(although the climaxes to the outer movements in 1-3 can blow you out of the chair )

Don't forget his first, truly classic Melodiya cycle (1965), again strongest in the earlier works, best remastering on Aulos. But yes, he did change his approach a lot during his career.
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 19-02-14, 19:49.

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Some Russian performances of the 5th symphony 2nd movement are ruined for me, by horn playing that resembles the singing of Dame Gwyneth Jones.
        It is precisely the over the top brass playing that puts me right off Mravinsky's Tchaikovsky. The recordings themselves are not exactly top-notch either.

Markevitch on two Philips "Duo" sets; he's yer man! And our friend Mr Maazel ain't bad either - on Decca.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          It is precisely the over the top brass playing that puts me right off Mravinsky's Tchaikovsky. The recordings themselves are not exactly top-notch either.

Markevitch on two Philips "Duo" sets; he's yer man! And our friend Mr Maazel ain't bad either - on Decca.
          Brass players being OTT? Nay never!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Brass players being OTT? Nay never!!
            Now, how did I know you'd be there?! Nice one...

Comment

Working...
            X