X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucilus
    • Sep 2024

Jascha Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection

Does anyone know whether this 103 cd set is newly remastered or the old bmg/rca set which had such a bad press when it was first issued? I am not clear whether the the whole original issue was panned or just the remastering of the early recordings. It seems to be available at wildly different prices on the internet.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Sorry lucilus, I've no idea about the re-mastering of this set since I've not seen it in a shop to examine it. However, My finger has been poised over the 'buy it now' button on eBay on a few occasions recently! So far, I've resisted but I really wanted the original set. Alas, I was a student so I couldn't afford it. You probably know that the original set goes for crazy prices second hand.

I have a few discs from that set and I've always found the sound to be fine especially on the oldest recordings from the turn of the century. (Believe it or not, I got those early sets in a charity shop for a pound each! My jaw hit the floor when I saw them).

At £1.70 a disc it's probably well worth it. As I said, have a look at eBay since soneone is selling them for about £180 although there is also a 'best offer' tag so you might get the price reduced.

Good luck!

Comment

• lucilus

This is now being sold on Amazon at 168.57 plus 1.26 postage. But still I cant find out whether this is a new remastering.

Comment

• mikealdren
        • Nov 2010

Lucilus,
        I bought a set. The booklet credits those responsible for the remastering but I'm not sure what they have actually done, have they simply repackaged some of the existing recordings? Certainly the say the older recordings are packaged suggests that they have just reissued the old Heifetz edition.

I'll do some comparisons at the weekend and report back.

Mike

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Hi Mike. Hope you're keeping well. I really should 'invest' in this set but something keeps stopping me.

Look forward to hearing your opinion.

Rob.

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Hi Rob,
            For years, I had regretted not buying the original Heifetz edition on CD when I saw it cheap. I'll do a comparison of the sound at the weekend although I suspect that the older (78 based) transfers are as before. I'll also compare with the excellent Naxos recordings.

I started by listening to the Tchiak piano trio that wasn't available when the piece was reviewed recently - it is superb, There are so many interesting things in the box.

Mike

Comment

• lucilus

I have just been looking at the amazon site and a lengthy review there says that the remasterings used are new and much better than the original Heifetz collection from 1991. I am glad I couldnt afford the expensive 1991 set, although I have have bought over the years several individual volumes. I look forward to what Mike has to say and subject to that I will get the set.

Comment

• mikealdren
                • Nov 2010

Well I've listened to a selection now and my conclusion is that it has not been significantly remastered, not surprising but a very disappointing missed opportunity.

I compared the early acoustical recordings and the Bruch 2nd concerto with the Heifetz edition. Both were clearly from the same source, identical background noise etc but I suspect the new edition is just at a slightly higher level.

I have the double concertos on a recent reissue and the new edition is different, I've only listened to the Bach with Friedeman both are very good for Heifetz.

The last (1972) recital is still horribly harsh but the performances are not great either so it isn't one I would listen too often.

Comparing the Toscanini Beethoven with the Naxos edition, I was surprised at how dull the Naxos sounded, the Sony is brighter and the ideal would probably be between the two.

If I have any further revelation s, I'll post more. Despite the unimproved sound, the set is a real treasure trove at a very good price (I paid £172 inc P&P) and I know I will dip into it frequently over the years.

Mike

Comment

• lucilus

I bought the set from amazon when it was down to 149.99. It has just arrived and I note that the booklet says that cds 1-98 are "mastered by Phillip Nedel...., www.b-sharp.biz". I can only assume then that all the cds in the set are remastered. Cant wait to see whether I agree with Mike about the results.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Well, my lovely wife bought me this set for Christmas! It's sitting at the back of her wardrobe (wrapped in cellophane) and it's making me feel like being a naughty 12 year old again!!

It's a very impressive looking box and the sleeves look very nice indeed. Ah well, only 195 days to go...

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by lucilus View Post
                      I bought the set from amazon when it was down to 149.99. It has just arrived and I note that the booklet says that cds 1-98 are "mastered by Phillip Nedel...., www.b-sharp.biz". I can only assume then that all the cds in the set are remastered. Cant wait to see whether I agree with Mike about the results.
                      The strange thing is, when you go to the b-sharp site, the link to more information on the set leads nowhere. The links relating to their other projects seem to work, but not the Heifetz one. However, the implication is that the mastering for discs 1 to 98 is new and by the b-sharp folk. I too got the set at the £149.99 from Amazon.co.uk a couple of months ago. I got it mainly for the Beethoven sting trios, which recordings, in their LP manifestation, were my introduction to those works.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I got it mainly for the Beethoven sting trios, which recordings, in their LP manifestation, were my introduction to those works.
                        Bryn

I hope you got a buzz from those.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

The problem is, what to do with my duplication discs? Ebay or charity shop?

Hmmm.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            The problem is, what to do with my duplication discs? Ebay or charity shop?

Hmmm.
                            ... I usually give my duplicates to friends. They seem to like them. And they remain friends. (I have even been given the odd meal / interesting bottle of wine in recognition... )

Comment

Working...
                            X