Decca Eloquence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Just a gem from the back catalogue....recorded at the Maltings, sleeve notes by Pears....

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
      Indeed they do, Barbs, but my entreaties on behalf of the Beethoven symphonies* with the VPO under Schmidt-Issterstedt (great 1960s performances from the Sofiensaal) appear to have fallen upon deaf ears! If anyone ever sees them being re-released on Eloquence, please let me know. A princely reward awaits you.

(*Inexplicably, they seem to have re-released the Herbie '60s cycle, which is already available in umpteen guises, whereas S-I has not been in the catalogue for some years. I guess they feel HvK is the bigger 'pull'...?)
      The Monteux is coming out this year so maybe HSI will have to wait till after that .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Just a gem from the back catalogue....recorded at the Maltings, sleeve notes by Pears....
        This one I suppose: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/A...nce/ELQ4802205
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Indeed they do, Barbs, but my entreaties on behalf of the Beethoven symphonies* with the VPO under Schmidt-Issterstedt (great 1960s performances from the Sofiensaal) appear to have fallen upon deaf ears! If anyone ever sees them being re-released on Eloquence, please let me know. A princely reward awaits you.

(*Inexplicably, they seem to have re-released the Herbie '60s cycle, which is already available in umpteen guises, whereas S-I has not been in the catalogue for some years. I guess they feel HvK is the bigger 'pull'...?)
          On official Decca MP3 here

Comment

• remdataram
            • Mar 2011

They are available for download from Presto Classical in Flac or Mp3 formats. Perhaps you can download the Flac files and burn Cds?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I would have thought the VPO/Schmidt-Isserstedt Beethoven symphonies would be an ideal release on Eloquence. Such civilised performances, yet not lacking in energy and depth.

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

It plays to root around for old favourites that semm hard to get.There was mention of Decca's Headline series earlier and that reminded me of Rattle's Maxwell Davies Symphony No1 from 1978 [A Kingsway recording] that I have on LP. Back in 2003 when I was looking for this there was no CD or download!! Even the LP was deleted then and I had to go via the internet to find it.

It's not in Eloquence but it is available in FLAC at Hey Presto!! A good place!! Doesn't seem to be available via Universal or iTunes but is on MP3 at Amazon.

It's only money.

PS that VPO/HSI set is a good one, but it'sin a very strong field. I had it on LP years ago but it got discarded when we moved here from London!!
                Last edited by Gordon; 21-01-14, 17:51.

Comment

• Karafan
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the download suggestions, but with my boxsets I am a bit of a dinosaur in that I do like to fondle the odd jewel case. Ooooo-er.
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• remdataram
                    • Mar 2011

Thanks for the download suggestions, but with my boxsets I am a bit of a dinosaur in that I do like to fondle the odd jewel case. Ooooo-er.
                    So it's a good fondle that you yearn, rather than the music. The SI Beethoven box would be quite a fondle, too!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      They have a Facebook page where they actually ask for people to recommend stuff from their old catalogue to reissue .
                      I tried that, but I couldn't find that bit! But surely Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and the other "famous" one MUST be a favourite for re-release? It was originally on vinyl in the Decca "World of Classics" or something like that..... I still have the vinyl, but it's a bit worn, by now.
                      Performed by the great Narciso Yepes, with Ataulfo Argenta conducting, I think, a Spanish radio orchestra(?) Too lazy to go and check!

Anyway, that would be my nomination.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Anyone wishing to fondle the jewelcase of the Rattle Maxwell Davies First Symphony might wish to know that it has since been released on an actual CD:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• akiralx
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                          So it's a good fondle that you yearn, rather than the music. The SI Beethoven box would be quite a fondle, too!
                          I can attest, having visited Karafan Priory many times before emigrating, that most of his boxsets are still shrinkwrapped for optimum fondleability...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                            I tried that, but I couldn't find that bit! But surely Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and the other "famous" one MUST be a favourite for re-release? It was originally on vinyl in the Decca "World of Classics" or something like that..... I still have the vinyl, but it's a bit worn, by now.
                            Performed by the great Narciso Yepes, with Ataulfo Argenta conducting, I think, a Spanish radio orchestra(?) Too lazy to go and check!

Anyway, that would be my nomination.
                            2 recordings with Argenta - 1955 mono, with Madrid Chamber Orchestra, and stereo with Orquesta Nacional de España (1959). Either way an historic recording

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              2 recordings with Argenta - 1955 mono, with Madrid Chamber Orchestra, and stereo with Orquesta Nacional de España (1959). Either way an historic recording
                              It's the 1959 one that I have, then.

'Eoquence' if you read this; "What's stopping you!?"

Comment

• Karafan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                                I can attest, having visited Karafan Priory many times before emigrating, that most of his boxsets are still shrinkwrapped for optimum fondleability...
                                Every word of this is, I humbly submit, true. May I place before your worships a plea for leniency? (At least my predilection will not result in the whip being withdrawn or, worse still, applied at speed!)
                                "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
                                X