X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Online stores and listings

Maybe someone could tell a few of the online stores about the information which is required by prospective purchasers when looking for collections of discs .

I would suggest:

1. The title for each CD/DVD/SACD etc

2. The performers on each as above.

3. The track listing.

That could help to avoid some of the problems - where there are either no listings, or listings like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CENTENARY-ED...ll_full#disc_1

Sure - the tracks are no doubt listed there, but trying to work out what pieces they all are is a challenge. This is really not great at all. Have these people no imagination? More likely they just don't care.
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Maybe someone could tell a few of the online stores about the information which is required by prospective purchasers when looking for collections of discs .

I would suggest:

1. The title for each CD/DVD/SACD etc

2. The performers on each as above.

3. The track listing.

That could help to avoid some of the problems - where there are either no listings, or listings like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CENTENARY-ED...ll_full#disc_1

Sure - the tracks are no doubt listed there, but trying to work out what pieces they all are is a challenge. This is really not great at all. Have these people no imagination? More likely they just don't care.
    Agree totally. The example you give is a perfect illustration of the 'as good as useless'

Comment

• Phileas
      • Jul 2012

This could be a mildly diverting challenge for forum members to identify all the un-named pieces in the collection, just using the track titles and performers.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Phileas View Post
        This could be a mildly diverting challenge for forum members to identify all the un-named pieces in the collection, just using the track titles and performers.
        Shouldn't be very difficult, but it's shoddy that one should even have to try. Even if we assume 30 seconds on average per CD - some will be easy, others less so, and record keeping would be needed - that's still 25 mins for all, or maybe only 13 minutes on average if we assume that by the time one has decoded half of the box one would have made a decision to buy, or not.

I'll stick by the adjective I've just used - "shoddy."

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

I think I would rather watch old episodes of "Face the Music" - how the BBC has dumbed down - a programme like that wouldn't even pass muster, now. Sad times, we now live in.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

My thoughts exactly! I've just been amusing myself trying to identify as many as possible.

No. Dave2002 is right. It's shoddy. I usually look up the same disc/s on either Presto or MDT and depending on price opt for the cheapest (by no means always Amazon either).
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              No. Dave2002 is right. It's shoddy. I usually look up the same disc/s on either Presto or MDT and depending on price opt for the cheapest (by no means always Amazon either).

Indeed! Amazon almost double (£307.99) for the Westminster Chamber Box I've just ordered from Presto (£156). (Though I did have to pay £1.50 for delivery, which would have been free from Amazon.)

Comment

Working...
              X