X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Gary Bertini's Mahler

I have read some very good things about Bertini's Mahler set on EMI. Do any of the Mahler experts on this forum have opinions on this set? My own frame of reference in the symphonies is the Kubelik set (which I like a lot) and Tennstedt set (which I do not). How does Bertini fit in in comparison to these sets (or others)?

All views welcome. Thanks.
  • Curalach

I wouldn't claim to be a Mahler expert and I'm not able to compare with either the Kubelik or Tennstedt sets as I don't have complete sets by either. However, Bertini would be closer to the Kubelik end of the scale than the Tennstedt.
    I think that the Bertini set is very good indeed and remarkable value for money. It is very consistent and there is really not a weak link. Of the sets that I have, I would place Bertini and Gielen at the top for consistency and faithfulness to the scores.
    If I were asked to recommend only one set to someone, it would be the Bertini. It's a very safe bet.

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

Curalach

Comment

• Tapiola
        • Jan 2011

Sorry, Curalach, a follow-up question.

How is the orcehstral playing? Is there any grit in there. I do like a bit of dirt in my Mahler...

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

I'd call it very solid, beefy playing. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.
          There's something central and 'right' about this set where the music seems king.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
            I do like a bit of dirt in my Mahler...
            Gosh! Dirt is something I would never have associated with Mahler. (I've never taken to him ...). The last (but one) Prom I went to was Mahler 3 with Abbado, and I was hugely impressed by Abbado. Makes you think, as they say. I was astounded to read Gary Bertini's background which does make me want to hear his Mahler.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
              How is the orchestral playing? Is there any grit in there. I do like a bit of dirt in my Mahler...
              I'm not sure that I would use the word grit but the orchestral playing is very fine by any standard. The recordings are mainly studio/radio sessions in Cologne with some live performances (1,8,9 and Das Lied) recorded in Tokyo.
              The playing does not have the kind of polished sheen that can be found on some Berliner Philharmoniker discs and I would rather characterise it as very natural sounding.
              It is Bertini's sense of phrasing and his grasp of the bigger picture which gives the set the consistency that I mentioned previously.

I should say that I met him a few times. He was Principal Guest Conductor of the SNO from 1971 to 1981 during which time he conducted a very wide repertoire. I recall a series of concerts in which Beethoven Piano Concertos (soloist: Ashkenazy) were coupled with pieces by Schoenberg. A very erudite and interesting man.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-03-11, 15:44.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

There are extended and thoughtful reviews (which you've probably checked) on amazon.co.uk and on amazon.com. Why, I'm tempted myself ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Tapiola
                  • Jan 2011

Curalach and frank,

Yes, it's that lack of sheen that I wanted to hear - one reason that I like the Kubelik - and I fancied an upgrade it terms of recording quality.

And thanks for the links, french frank. I had perused the Amazon reviews previous to posting here.

I think I am on the verge of an ill-affordable purchase...

Comment

• StephenO

It's a set I keep returning to, having found it at MDT for just £18 last year. Not bad for 11 CDs, particularly when the performances are as excellent as these.

The First is similar in many ways to Kubelik's with the klezmer music irresistible. The Seventh is the finest version I've heard on disc. There's a stunning Ninth and Lucia Popp is at her very best in the finale of the Fourth. I was slightly disapointed with the Second, where the first movement in particular is rather tame, but the Eighth is the equal of Tennstedt or Solti. Add a superbly atmospheric reading of Das Lied and the whole set becomes indispensable.

The playing is good throughout - the Cologne players seem natural Mahlerians - and the recording quality leaves nothing to be desired.

In two words - Buy it!

Comment

• Tapiola
                      • Jan 2011

Alison and Stephen,

This just gets better. "Solid and beefy" does it for me.

Thank you for your appraisals.

Comment

• tantris

The Bertini set is the set I get the most pleasure from - even more than my beloved Kubelik. I can't recommend it highly enough. Enjoy it!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

I should discipline myself not to read any more posts with Mahler in the title. Although I vowed recently that I wasn't going to buy any more Mahler, the enthusiasm for this set (and re-listening to no 3 which I still have on LP) means that that vow is now history and an order placed with Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                          X