X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest",.... and there are none so blind as those who will not see.

OF COURSE the Inverne years were the lowest of lows, but if all you do is pull it from the shelf frowning, leaf through irritably hoping nothing will disturb your preconceptions, then chuck it back... no-one's saying SUBSCRIBE NOW AND SAVE£££S! ... No, just welcome a very happy development in a field of artistic creation that hasn't been well treated by our noble culture in the last few years. Its much harder to imagine R3 recovering in the same way.

And DON'T lets pretend that the IRR is so uniformly excellent that we need no other (I say that as a devoted subscriber, remember!). Even when they get around to doing their archive the Gramophone's will always remain a unique wonder of the symphonic world (oh, you'd have a load of fun researching Schumann Symphonies on there!)... so wait and watch if you like but don't be cynical or dismissive as you swig your vodka. Classical Music - as a living art - needs ALL the help it can GET.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      It doesn't give confidence that the article is undersigned by a grinning Bertie Wooster!
      ...and a reader further down the page describes him as Mr Bean!

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        it has a long way to go before I resume subscribing.
        Although if people don't start/resume subscribing it might not get very far before the new owners pull the plug.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Finally got hold of this - it only seems to have hit the high street shelves today.

Shall report back...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

I'm working my way through January's Gramophone after several years absence and while I agree that it is better than when I abandoned hope, it is still very irritatingly laid out, in comparison to IRR; and that extensive article about Jazz - did it go anywhere in the end? I lost the will to live

I'll read it thoroughly and I may buy February's edition too

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Finally got hold of this - it only seems to have hit the high street shelves today.

Shall report back...
              That might explain why I didn't see it when I looked over the past couple of weeks. I do hope I'm not missing anything

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

February's issue is well-filled with some interesting Strauss content.

A potentially interesting look at Bruno Walter's 1938 Mahler 9 is ruined for me by the meaningless linguistic pomposity of Peter Quantrill.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  February's issue is well-filled with some interesting Strauss content.

A potentially interesting look at Bruno Walter's 1938 Mahler 9 is ruined for me by the meaningless linguistic pomposity of Peter Quantrill.
                  Christmas issue still on display here

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

The Jan edition is undoubtedly an improvement but Philip Clark is annoying and appears to be their equivalent of Raymond Tuttle .

Comment

• amateur51

I've just finished the January edition and I agree that it has improved but it is still inconsistent about things like fonts, text size and use of photographs in apparently the wrong place. The end result i still find rather giddying.

And I just can't stomach Jolly James' boxed set round-up which I feel that Nigel Simeone does much better in IRR. Rob Cown's historical (re-)issues section is invaluable, however.

I'll get the February edition and stay with it if/while improvements persist but I think there's a distance yet to go.

Congratulations to Martin Cullingford & his new publishers on the resurrection job to date.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the comments, am51, I haven't seen the new magazine yet. What is it about Mr Jolly's box set round up that you can't stomach? I agree that Nigel Simeone's are very good...I particularly enjoyed this month's on the Teldec/Erato boxes.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Thanks for the comments, am51, I haven't seen the new magazine yet. What is it about Mr Jolly's box set round up that you can't stomach? I agree that Nigel Simeone's are very good...I particularly enjoyed this month's on the Teldec/Erato boxes.
                          In a word 'bland', MickyD

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

For those of us who go back far enough, Jolly Jim has really become the Ivan March de nos jours. One feels that anything composed later than the first world war is all a bit daringly modern for the old boy's tastes.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              In a word 'bland', MickyD
                              Ha ha, I suspected as much! I still think I'll stick with IRR, it must be about four years ago now that I changed over...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                For those of us who go back far enough, Jolly Jim has really become the Ivan March de nos jours. One feels that anything composed later than the first world war is all a bit daringly modern for the old boy's tastes.
                                Good comparison, Sir Velo

Jolly finds good things to say about everything and I've yet to be led by him to something striking, original, out-of-the-way, life-enhancing

At a recent public event, he was described as "the distinguished broadcaster"

Comment

Working...
                                X