• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Nott's Mahler 6 & 8

Anybody heard these yet?

I was somewhat less than enthused with Nott's rather average Mahler 5 at the Proms but wonder if these two latest releases are on par with the best in the series.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

I enjoyed the Sixth, well recorded. A measured and classical approach, plenty of detail. It doesn't storm the heavens a la Tennstedt but remains a very companionable version IMHO.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I enjoyed the Sixth, well recorded. A measured and classical approach, plenty of detail. It doesn't storm the heavens a la Tennstedt but remains a very companionable version IMHO.
      Who can forget Tennstedt in this symphony? I saw him do it twice in 1983 and both were broadcast but only the Prom one has appeared. However, for a recorded performance your description of the Nott may well make it worth investigating. I've not seen any review at all of the 8th so far.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

IRR very keen on the 8th .

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

BBC MM very unkeen on nearly all the soloists in the 8th though chorus, orch and Nott's conception good. 3 stars.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• robk
            • Nov 2010

Gramophone - Edward Seckerson - "decent but not world beating" for the 8th. Main concern with soloists. Manuela Uhl dubious top C and Stefan Vinke pinched dry and uningratiating sound.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

That's a shame - I only have the Resurrection from the series which is a clear eyed and refreshing account . The only downer on that the wobbly mezzo in Urlicht .

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Not terribly enthused by comments so far. The Jansons recording of Mahler 8 was too disappointing for me to risk spending good money on another dud. 'Decent but not world beating' sounds to much like damning with faint praise to me and sums up the Jansons as well.

Comment

• akiralx
                  • Oct 2011

Recent posts here on both:

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                    Thanks for this. I'll be taking a look at that forum.

Comment

• Nachtigall
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      I haven't heard the Nott and you're right that Tennstedt is the man for this symphony.

However, I'm currently watching/listening to one of my Christmas presents: the recently released Blu-ray of Riccardo Chailly conducting the Gewandhausorchester. I must say that the sound is absolutely phenomenal and there is plenty of bite and tension in the first movement, with searing strings and blazing brass at the top of their form. I'll report back if anything noteworthy needs to be added about subsequent movements.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nachtigall View Post
                        I haven't heard the Nott and you're right that Tennstedt is the man for this symphony.

However, I'm currently watching/listening to one of my Christmas presents: the recently released Blu-ray of Riccardo Chailly conducting the Gewandhausorchester. I must say that the sound is absolutely phenomenal and there is plenty of bite and tension in the first movement, with searing strings and blazing brass at the top of their form. I'll report back if anything noteworthy needs to be added about subsequent movements.
                        Nah - Barbirolli is the man for this symphony !

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nachtigall View Post

I was present at the Prom performance that Chailly and the Gewandhausorchester gave of the Mahler 6 in 2012 and really must get this DVD.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            I was present at the Prom performance that Chailly and the Gewandhausorchester gave of the Mahler 6 in 2012 and really must get this DVD.
                            Get a Blu ray player Pet.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              That was a cracking performance of the Sixth and I have it off air.

Comment

Working...
                              X