Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Sorry, I have not heard his RCO Brahms recordings, so can't comment.

[However, the promo bumf for the new set includes: "Chailly has radically rethought his approach to these works, re-examining the scores and returning to the recorded interpretations of a generation of conductors alive during Brahms lifetime, principally Felix Weingartner and one of his Gewandhaus predecessors Bruno Walter."]
    Decca has just released a Mengelberg collection and Sony's Bruno Walter collection has been discussed here. I think it's time to reassess Weingartner through his recordings too

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

Let's hope the Apostrophe Protection Society doesn't see this thread title.
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Well I'm going to come to Harriet Smith's defence: she said that she had had a problem with Brahms's symphonies, not Brahms's music as a whole. For that matter, I rather enjoyed her BaL on the 1st Piano Concerto and could see no reason to heap opprobrium on her head: she has her views (and prejudices) like everyone else and, while you might not agree with her choice of sacred cows for the heave-ho, she at least provided a justification for doing so. Having the occasional slaughtering of one's favourite recordings, while it might cause much spluttering and harrumphing at the time, can actually make one listen and think again. A bit like Chailly's approach to Brahms which, for my money, is rather more successful than his Beethoven, to which I return seldom, unlike the Brahms, which I have been listening to often.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          It is allowed but odd for someone who is broadcasting to the world her views on the best recording of the same composers concerto.
          I would agree in the case of Harriet Smith but my comment was really directed towards Suzy - her Brahms is my Chopin or edge's Sibelius.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

[However, the promo bumf for the new set includes: "Chailly has radically rethought his approach to these works, re-examining the scores and returning to the recorded interpretations of a generation of conductors alive during Brahms lifetime, principally Felix Weingartner and one of his Gewandhaus predecessors Bruno Walter."]
            Comparisons on timings show he's consistently quickened up.
            RCO LGO
            1.1 17.48 15.26
            1.2 9.17 8.21
            1.3 4.49 4.24
            1.4 16.46 15.39
            2.1 18.45 17.48
            2.2 10.17 8.25
            2.3 5.14 5.06
            2.4 8.49 8.52
            3.1 13.22 11.43
            3.2 8.41 8.16
            3.3 6.18 6.06
            3.4 8.58 8.15
            4.1 12.45 11.56
            4.2 11.51 10.42
            4.3 6.11 5.54
            4.4 10.08 9.23

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              Well I'm going to come to Harriet Smith's defence: she said that she had had a problem with Brahms's symphonies, not Brahms's music as a whole. For that matter, I rather enjoyed her BaL on the 1st Piano Concerto and could see no reason to heap opprobrium on her head: she has her views (and prejudices) like everyone else and, while you might not agree with her choice of sacred cows for the heave-ho, she at least provided a justification for doing so. Having the occasional slaughtering of one's favourite recordings, while it might cause much spluttering and harrumphing at the time, can actually make one listen and think again. A bit like Chailly's approach to Brahms which, for my money, is rather more successful than his Beethoven, to which I return seldom, unlike the Brahms, which I have been listening to often.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Just a word about the GO/Chailly Brahms orchestral works packaging. The book style case presents a real danger of the discs accidentally falling out. If, like me, you decide to use windowed paper sleeves to overcome this danger, be warned, the construction of the cases does not allow this without some modification to the paper sleeves. Not only will you need to trim off the envelope closure from the top of the sleeve, you will also need to make a diagonal trim across the top left and bottom right corners of the sleeve or it will simply hit a adhesive barriers in the bottom corners of the card slip cases.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Surely we're all allowed an 'I don't get' composer even those in the trade!
                  I feel the same way about Brahms. I've tried and tried, but I find almost everything I've heard heavy and turgid.
                  Steve

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                    I feel the same way about Brahms. I've tried and tried, but I find almost everything I've heard heavy and turgid.
                    Hmm. I can sympathise, as he was a difficult nut for me to crack. But wasn't this the point that Stephen Johnson was making? Brahms isn't played that way anymore - Chailly's new Brahms cycle is almost HIP-like in its transparency of counterpoint and texture, so one can hear Bach's influence, say, in the symphonies.

As for everything being heavy and turgid, may I recommend the following as counter-examples:

Choral: Herreweghe's Schicksalslied and his German Requiem.
                    Piano: Michelangeli in the Ballades.
                    Clarinet Quintet

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Just a word about the GO/Chailly Brahms orchestral works packaging. The book style case presents a real danger of the discs accidentally falling out.
                      This is a big problem with the Chailly Beethoven set as well. Who designs these things - some 6 year old child maybe? I usually open my CD cases on the floor as domestic accidents otherwise abound. It is also awfully difficult to get the discs out of the sleeves without getting finger marks round the edges (or worse). Horrible packaging. Whoever designed it should be hung, drawn, quartered and jailed for life
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Just to add that there are a few YouTube clips which might be relevant.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Looking forward to Mr Caliban's comments on this years extravaganza.

I am tempted by the Volkov Stravinsky disc (which is assumed to be already in the collection of mr Nethersage).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

May not get round to listening to it till later in the week...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

Also, waiting for Caliban's comments. I need to listen to the program as well. I wasn't really interested in most of the disc's reviewed. I in interested in the Schubert Death and the Maiden Quartet by the Pavel Haas quartet on CD.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

I am tempted by the Volkov Stravinsky disc (which is assumed to be already in the collection of mr Nethersage).
                                So far, it's only on order. How could I resist the combination of Igor Stravinsky, Ilan Volkov and Steven Osborne?

Comment

Working...
                                X