X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Critics choice

I was rather appalled to hear that Harriet Smith had a problem with the Brahms symphonies - what the hell were they doing asking her to BAL Brahms PC 1 - no wonder she was so superficial . Otherwise thought Coote's Winterreise was fascinating SJ spot on about Pat K, chailly's Brahms was nothing to write home about and that St John Passion sounded worthy and dreary .

Other views ?
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Look forward to catching up with this especially being still undecided on the Chailly Brahms set.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Look forward to catching up with this especially being still undecided on the Chailly Brahms set.
      Undecided in what way, not sure if you admire it, or not sure whether to purchase? It's got my vote. Never mind writing home about it. Be at home with it. This morning I plan to edit the alternative offerings re. the 1st and 4th to construct complete run-throughs of those versions of the respective works.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        I was rather appalled to hear that Harriet Smith had a problem with the Brahms symphonies - what the hell were they doing asking her to BAL Brahms PC 1 - no wonder she was so superficial . Otherwise thought Coote's Winterreise was fascinating SJ spot on about Pat K, chailly's Brahms was nothing to write home about and that St John Passion sounded worthy and dreary .

Other views ?
        I have to say I'm inclined to agree with you over the St John Passion - I may well be shot down in flames for saying so, but personally I have found previous Dunedin Consort recordings to be very much overrated by all and sundry.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Undecided in what way, not sure if you admire it, or not sure whether to purchase? It's got my vote. Never mind writing home about it. Be at home with it. This morning I plan to edit the alternative offerings re. the 1st and 4th to construct complete run-throughs of those versions of the respective works.
          Whether to purchase. A 11.99 download seems pretty likely though. A feeling of slight disappointment with the LvB set has hindered decision making.

Like Barbs I found Harriet's comments on the symphonies puzzling and irritating. Was this her only way of saying something 'interesting' or provocative?

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Like Barbs I found Harriet's comments on the symphonies puzzling and irritating. Was this her only way of saying something 'interesting' or provocative?
            Rather than keeping quiet about making an admission of such a shocking lack of taste, as most people would. Still, it could have been worse. Suzy Klein prides herself on not "getting" a note of Brahms. So that's all right then.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Has Chailly's new take on the Brahms Syms changed much from the RCO set?

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                Rather than keeping quiet about making an admission of such a shocking lack of taste, as most people would. Still, it could have been worse. Suzy Klein prides herself on not "getting" a note of Brahms. So that's all right then.
                Surely we're all allowed an 'I don't get' composer even those in the trade!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  I have to say I'm inclined to agree with you over the St John Passion - I may well be shot down in flames for saying so, but personally I have found previous Dunedin Consort recordings to be very much overrated by all and sundry.
                  I tend to concur, as I re-sold my copy of their Mass in B Minor. However, their Brandenburg Concertos are excellent. My first FLAC download for my new FiiO X3 - they sound wonderful through headphones or my hifi. The use of a different pitch - 392 Hz - is interesting, too.

'John Butt, director of the Dunedin Consort, says the following about the pitch:

The low pitch - which adds an element of technical complexity - does have several significant effects on the sound of the performance. First, it is perhaps more suited to smaller rooms than the higher pitch levels, which tend to render the music more penetrating, but it brings a warmth and glow to the sound that is well suited to the euphonious textures of the Brandenburg Concertos. Secondly, it tends to encourage a slightly slower but more subtle articulation for most instruments, which means that both fast and slow tempi can generate a rich array of note shapes and dynamic shadings.

For what it's worth, lots of happy customer's here and MusicWeb-Int'l rated it, too.
                  It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

One of the main things I found was the Brahms choices, agree with Barbs here. I still love the Gilels in the brahms PCs. His will be a difficult act to beat, imo. Dunedin's recordings, also I find are overrated. I am rather a JEGGER's fan, so I would plummet foir him, aprt for those JSB Brandenbergs! Total tosh!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

They were spot on about Igor Levit's Beethoven. One of my musical highlights of 2013 was seeing him play them live at the QEH. Mesmerising music-making. Nice to learn I am not alone in finding him comparable with other late great Beethoven players (Gilels, Arrau).
                      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Surely we're all allowed an 'I don't get' composer even those in the trade!
                        It is allowed but odd for someone who is broadcasting to the world her views on the best recording of the same composers concerto.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          I think that you would have to work pretty hard not to get a note of Brahms.
                          there is surely something to enjoy even in those musicians/composers that we dont generally get on with.
                          I wonder if Suze is familiar with the string sextets at all.

Perhaps we could send her a highlights playlist to enjoy over xmas.:
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

It is allowed but odd for someone who is broadcasting to the world her views on the best recording of the same composers concerto.
                            Yes seems very odd. Another questionable BaL yesterday makes me think they need a shake up in the reviewing department.

Re Chailly's Brahms, I have this set to be opened on Christmas morning. The Beethoven set has grown on me since I had it for Christmas two years ago and I'm hoping the new Brahms set is worth the money and wait.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Has Chailly's new take on the Brahms Syms changed much from the RCO set?
                              Sorry, I have not heard his RCO Brahms recordings, so can't comment.

[However, the promo bumf for the new set includes: "Chailly has radically rethought his approach to these works, re-examining the scores and returning to the recorded interpretations of a generation of conductors alive during Brahms lifetime, principally Felix Weingartner and one of his Gewandhaus predecessors Bruno Walter."]
                              Last edited by Bryn; 15-12-13, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                              X