X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Solti in Elgar

I thought I should get round to these performances and have listened a few times now to his Cockaigne and Elgar 1 . The Elgar 2 awaits .

I was very impressed with Cockaigne , exactly the right sort of bustle and movement for the depiction of London . I am less sure about the Elgar 1 . I know he was said to have listened to Elgar's own recordings and that has dictated the tempi but it doesn't have the warmth and depth of feeling that Elgar's own recording has and to my ears so far has rather too much bustle about it .

It does not hector the listener as I felt the much praised Dresden/C.Davis does and there is something very refreshing about the first two movements but the Adagio rather just passes by and the finale sounds rather bumptious and doesn't build the excitement in the way say Boult's terrific Proms account does .

Jury out for me .

I know others love these performances - what are your views ?
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

It took me a few listenings to warm to Solti's Elgar symphonies (Overture Cockaigne is wonderful)

Now I enjoy the recordings - something decidedly different about Solti's recordings, can't quite say exactly what it is - except that maybe they are not what we are generally used to hearing. I'm thinking the Boults, Handleys and Barbirollis here... Sound a bit vague don't I?

But in answer; Yes I happily listen to Solti 'doing' Elgar alongside the aforementioned maestros.

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

I agree regarding Cockaigne, it that ebullient energy that is right up Solti's street and he does it well, at least as well as anyone else including Barbirolli. His Alassio is good too, the Straussian feel coming out well. His Violin concerto with Chung is very fine too but there is a long and very strong field. All of these recordings are of course from Kingsway.

The symphonies however are not exactly his metier and I don't think he gets into the Elgar mould. They aren't bad by any means and he does move them along - I seem to remember he listened to Elgar's own recordings before setting down his own. Useful as a view from another perspective than British. Anyway he can't win can he because he's not a Brit, even if he was married to one and lived here for many years and had a knighthood!!

I'm reminded of Karajan in the late 50s when he was leaned on to do some more Britsh music. His only recordings to date had been VW Fantasia and Bridge Variations in the early 50s and he did do the Planets in Vienna for Decca. According to Legge he eventually took away the scores and took an interest in symphony 2 but he returned the scores with a comment that however well he did them they would never be accepted by Brtiish critics given local competition. Cop out? Can't blame him. Maybe but he was well on his way out of London by this time and so had no incentive to give it a go.

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

I remember when these came out on LP there was muttering in some quarters to the effect that only an english person could conduct Elgar. I bought them anyway and have always thought them excellent. Not everyone likes Solti's style, but I do.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I love Solti's Elgar recordings more than anything else he did: the Second Symphony is superb - real fire in the belly performance (only the composer matches this). The First is also a great performance of a great Symphony, and, if I prefer Barbirolli's final performance, this does not diminish my love of Solti's way with the work: it's that little sprinkling of paprika that gives it an irresistable lift (a different type of tears from those of glorious John).

But, oh for a recording of a Solti led Gerontius!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

In general I prefer Solti's interpretation of the first symphony; the second seems rushed and hard-driven. I agree that his Cockaigne is very fine and is probably my favourite version.

Solti's self-confessed attempt to follow the composer's own recording as closely as possible does result in a sudden unmarked tempo change in the finale, just at the point where a new 78 side began.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              In general I prefer Solti's interpretation of the first symphony; the second seems rushed and hard-driven. I agree that his Cockaigne is very fine and is probably my favourite version.

Solti's self-confessed attempt to follow the composer's own recording as closely as possible does result in a sudden unmarked tempo change in the finale, just at the point where a new 78 side began.
              Is that in the first or second symphony EA ?

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Solti's recording of the Elgar 1 is simply magnificent and is a true classic of the gramophone. The Adagio is surely one of the most heartfelt on disc and I could not disagree more with Barbirollians who says it 'rather just passes by'. As for the finale, no-one does better that utterly glorious moment when the opening stalking theme is transformed into a full-throated singing melody on the strings (and another variant of the motto). Solti's is my Elgar 1 of choice though I do love Barbirolli (1957) and Boult's 1975 Prom with nearly equal fervour.

Like many, I remain unconvinced by the hard driven account of Solti's Elgar 2 and following Elgar's own recording doesn't seem to work for me. However, may I put in a word for Solti's In the South, surely the finest on record? Not to mention his recording with Kyung Wha Chung of the Violin Concerto - superb and much under-rated!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Solti's recording of the Elgar 1 is simply magnificent and is a true classic of the gramophone. The Adagio is surely one of the most heartfelt on disc and I could not disagree more with Barbirollians who says it 'rather just passes by'. As for the finale, no-one does better that utterly glorious moment when the opening stalking theme is transformed into a full-throated singing melody on the strings (and another variant of the motto). Solti's is my Elgar 1 of choice though I do love Barbirolli (1957) and Boult's 1975 Prom with nearly equal fervour.

Like many, I remain unconvinced by the hard driven account of Solti's Elgar 2 and following Elgar's own recording doesn't seem to work for me. However, may I put in a word for Solti's In the South, surely the finest on record? Not to mention his recording with Kyung Wha Chung of the Violin Concerto - superb and much under-rated!
                  I agree entirely about his recording of the Violin Concerto with Chung , one of my favourite accounts .

I shall keep listening to the Solti but at the moment that is how I feel about the Adagio - but my benchmarks are the Boult Prom and the Barbirolli King's Lynn and it may just be that it does not accord with how I expect it to be played - for all it is worth .

Comment

• akiralx
                    • Oct 2011

I quite like Solti in Elgar 1 (never heard the Second) but not as much as Sinopoli, if we're talking non-English conductors. In fact Sinopoli is probably my favourite recording of Elgar 1. I will try Cockaigne, not sure I have heard that recording.

However maybe we are overlooking the crowning glory of Solti in Elgar: his wonderful recording of the Enigma Variations with the VPO - perhaps my favourite for the work alongside LSO/Jochum. Don't bother with the bitty Chicago recording...

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                      .......Solti in Elgar: his wonderful recording of the Enigma Variations with the VPO...
                      Is this the one on the Classic FM 'Full works" series?

It says there are two conductors: Solti and Mackerras playing Enigma and Pomp and Circumstance..... but WHO is doing what? That is my question?!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I will have to investigate this for myself, I think!!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• akiralx
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          Is this the one on the Classic FM 'Full works" series?

It says there are two conductors: Solti and Mackerras playing Enigma and Pomp and Circumstance..... but WHO is doing what? That is my question?!
                          My CD is on Decca c/w the Kodaly Peacock Variations.

Looking on iTunes, I can confirm the Classic FM CD has Mackerras doing the Enigmas, Solti the P&C marches and Cockaigne.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                            • Dec 2012

I'm thrilled to have recently discovered Sinopoli's Elgar collection (on DG, amazingly cheap). Controversial in their day I know but I found the two symphonies incredibly fresh and vital, In The South a delight and the two Pomp and Circumstance marches a revelation in detail, sounding fresh off the paper. The sound is superb and the Philharmonia in top form. The live Boult no.1 is probably still my favourite but after this thread I will have to explore Solti's verions too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Has anyone mentioned the VPO/Solti Enigma Variations. There are only two recordings of this incredible orchestra playing Elgar, the other being an all-Elgar disc with JEG.

Comment

Working...
                              X