• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

JEG's new Missa Solemnis, Barbican live on SDG

From the start of this stunningly dramatic and dynamic performance there's a fresh, spacious feel - a real event in a large acoustic space. The Barbican will never sound beautiful, but here it sounds exactly like the well-balanced Radio 3 broadcast it is drawn from. If you know that sound from broadcasts - that is what you get (with better resolution on the CD of course). But there's a palpable sense of live excitement, a great occasion, and at first I felt it was easily superior to the famous 1990 DG Archiv Gramophone Award-winning recording by the same forces (with different soloists). The Monteverdi Choir seems even more cohesive, powerful and virtuosic, a unified choral force where the earlier incarnation is more soloistic, perhaps more Baroque in character - you could almost pick out individual voices within it. The 1990 chorus is slightly cooler tonally too - a little sweeter but less exciting than on this live version. Those big moments - the end of the Gloria ("Goodness!" I said aloud in laughter and tears) and the et vitam venturi (you'll spread your arms wide as it climaxes...) are really overwhelming on the present issue, you may need to wait a while before proceeding further! The ORR itself is clearer, stronger and more colourful in 2012, an equally vivid presence to the chorus, with a splendid cutting edge to the brass; in 1990, more muted, tonally monochrome, a little anonymous. There's greater flexibility to this reading, Gardiner's conducting warmer and more expressive - it's a shade quicker overall (69'58 to 71'39 in 1990) mainly due to an even faster, even more breathtaking Gloria.

But the greater drama and urgency of the live performance is bought at a cost - the soloists do occasionally sound a little raw, an overly pronounced throb in the voices here and there, and they sound less tonally refined than the earlier, outstandingly beautiful quartet who of course had the benefit of studio conditions, time to correct and retake. Having said that, they are naturally placed in the Barbican soundstage, never too close, and I didn't find it hampering my involvement in the piece very much, even where they are more exposed at the start of the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. In these passages - the Sanctus especially - I felt an even greater sense of spiritual depth in the playing and conducting (especially lovely violin solo) and the contrast with the stunning speed and brilliance of the chorus in the hosanna, or in the pastoral warmth and lyricism (and those in tempore belli eruptions!) of the Dona Nobis, seemed to go beyond the earlier performance which - within the cool and spacious acoustic of All Saints Tooting - could seem just a little straitlaced by comparison - very much a recording, rather than an event.

Anyone who loves the Missa Solemnis- and I do, passionately - should hear this one; and even if you have Gardiner's earlier version you must hear this too. Despite those reservations about the solo quartet, if I had to choose I would keep the SDG; but if you usually admire Gardiners's interpretative approach you will need both. The beauty, control, and the outstanding soloists of the DG Archiv disc are counterbalanced by the warmth, expressiveness and sheer impact of this new live version.
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-12-13, 03:25.
  • BeethovensQuill

The Missa Solemnis is one of my favourite pieces and i absolutely love this version, the Gloria for me has never sounded as great as it does in the new JEG recording, i understand what you say about the slight vocal throbs but i actually like the way it sounds, the recording packs a huge emotional punch for me.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
      • Nov 2011

I'm in total agreement about the performance (the Gloria especially), but the recording disappointed me (see my post in the New Releases thread).

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I think we can take it that LvB's great Missa Solemnis is central rep stuff, but we can always say that this is a very special work of high genius. So maybe be slightly more than central rep? It is with this in mind, that before I purchase a recording of a work such as this, I hope to hear top quality in the product, so with a mixed bag I am seeing here, would it be worth it?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I think we can take it that LvB's great Missa Solemnis is central rep stuff, but we can always say that this is a very special work of high genius. So maybe be slightly more than central rep? It is with this in mind, that before I purchase a recording of a work such as this, I hope to hear top quality in the product, so with a mixed bag I am seeing here, would it be worth it?
          There are many severe critics of the work, though I am not of their number. It comes in for about as much negative criticism as does Fidelio, or the final movement of the 9th.

I'm hoping the new CD gets slammed by the critics. That way it might copies on ebay and Amazon marketplace might drop significantly price and I can nip in a buy one.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            There are many severe critics of the work, though I am not of their number. It comes in for about as much negative criticism as does Fidelio, or the final movement of the 9th.

I'm hoping the new CD gets slammed by the critics. That way it might copies on ebay and Amazon marketplace might drop significantly price and I can nip in a buy one.

Good idea!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
              I'm in total agreement about the performance (the Gloria especially), but the recording disappointed me (see my post in the New Releases thread).
              I think you listened to the lossless download, DJ? Important because I've found that they are often not identical to the CD. I should have made it clearer in my review that I've no problem with the sound quality at all - it's warm, spacious and with a wide dynamic range, tonally well-balanced and with clearly defined instrumental & vocal detail. (Very much in the vein of those BBC-sourced Martinu Symphonies with Behlolavek on Onyx - Philip Burwell an engineer on No.4 and this Missa). I felt it sounded better the louder it got, in quieter passages you're more aware of the Barbican's lack of character. Just don't expect it to sound as gloriously full and rich as the Usher Hall Brahms Requiem - it's the Barbican after all. I tried two settings on the DAC, The shortened linear one more recessed and spacious, the pure impulse one (with steeper roll-off) fuller and more immediate; both sounded fine. Oh, and it plays beautifully on the Bedside Tivoli in mono too!

Bear in mind that the Barbican concerts themselves were received with something close to rapture!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Damn it. The tax dodgers' price for the JEG Missa Solemnis has gone up 8p in 24 hours.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I think you listened to the lossless download, DJ?
                  Guilty, your honour. Nagging at the back of my mind is the notion that once I knew it was taken from a BBC broadcast then I expected it not to be good.

Important because I've found that they are often not identical to the CD. I should have made it clearer in my review that I've no problem with the sound quality at all - it's warm, spacious and with a wide dynamic range, tonally well-balanced and with clearly defined instrumental & vocal detail.
                  And there am I, constantly trumpeting to my colleagues in our music group that my downloads are not only as good sonically as their physical CDs, but in the case of high-res files actually better.

I tried two settings on the DAC, The shortened linear one more recessed and spacious, the pure impulse one (with steeper roll-off) fuller and more immediate; both sounded fine.
                  Ah, there, perhaps, is the rub. My DAC doesn't offer a choice of settings (it's an Apogee Duet, maxing out at 96/24, with which I use the BitPerfect iTunes add-on). I still haven't braved anything after the Gloria, but fully intend to. In addition, I was so impressed with the actual performance of the first two movements that I was already toying with the notion of indulging myself and duplicating my downloads with the physical CD (in all honesty, I suspected from my limited audition that the downloads might not be giving me an accurate sonic picture).

Bear in mind that the Barbican concerts themselves were received with something close to rapture!
                  I too was approaching a state of rapture after the final shout of Amen at the end of the Gloria.

Comment

Working...
                  X