X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

More Goodall goodies...

I see that on 7th March EMI are re-releasing Goodall's "Parsifal" on 4 CDs. Think it's in the non-libretto (CD ROM) EMI Classics series.

Anyone have views on the recording? Perhaps compared with the ROHCG live version?

I bet we'd all like to know, though, why Decca have never re-issued his blessed Tristan....?!

Bws

Karafan
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle
  • Mandryka

Technically, the recording is very good. The decision to record in long takes pays dividends: I find this by far the most convincing of Goodall's recordings, though that isn't necessarily saying all that much.

The cast is good - Donald MacIntyre and Waltraud Meier's first Kundry, but Warren Ellsworth as Parsifal has a very ugly voice.

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

Interesting. Michael Tanner (whose tastes often coincide with mine) compares it with the live Covent Garden version thus:
      Goodall later made a studio recording, but with inferior forces, and it is slacker and far too slow.
      I haven't heard either: I've got Kna 51 if I want slow(ish) and live, Kubelik if I want faster and wonderful, and Barenboim & Jordan also. Unlike many, I haven't got Kna 62: I'm afraid I'm allergic to Hotter's Gurnemanz (my failing, I'm sure...)

Comment

• perfect wagnerite

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
        I
        I bet we'd all like to know, though, why Decca have never re-issued his blessed Tristan....?!
        If artistic matters are a consideration, possibly because, for all the glories of Goodall's interpretation, the WNO band can't really play the work. They're much, much better in Parsifal. And the singing is variable - Linda Esther Gray at the peak of her short career is very fine indeed, but John Mitchinson has no real vocal allure (although he has the notes and the stamina, which give him an advantage over quite a number of his rivals) and Phillip Joll is an atrocious Kurwenal. Having said that, Gwynne Howell is an outstanding Marke.

But I guess it's more to do with a bean counter at Universal deciding there's no money in it.

(I'd disagree with Mandryka about Warren Ellsworth. His voice is certainly not beautiful but it's certainly compelling, and he gives a real performance. He was an extraordinary artist on stage)

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by perfect wagnerite View Post
          If artistic matters are a consideration, possibly because, for all the glories of Goodall's interpretation, the WNO band can't really play the work. They're much, much better in Parsifal. And the singing is variable - Linda Esther Gray at the peak of her short career is very fine indeed, but John Mitchinson has no real vocal allure (although he has the notes and the stamina, which give him an advantage over quite a number of his rivals) and Phillip Joll is an atrocious Kurwenal. Having said that, Gwynne Howell is an outstanding Marke.

But I guess it's more to do with a bean counter at Universal deciding there's no money in it.

(I'd disagree with Mandryka about Warren Ellsworth. His voice is certainly not beautiful but it's certainly compelling, and he gives a real performance. He was an extraordinary artist on stage)
          In fact WNO could play it but for some reason that recording was not good. OK, I would agree that in the horn dept and the principal viola solos it was very bad, but they both got the sack after that.

Comment

• Mandryka

[QUOTE=perfect wagnerite;35121]If artistic matters are a consideration, possibly because, for all the glories of Goodall's interpretation, the WNO band can't really play the work. They're much, much better in Parsifal. And the singing is variable - Linda Esther Gray at the peak of her short career is very fine indeed, but John Mitchinson has no real vocal allure (although he has the notes and the stamina, which give him an advantage over quite a number of his rivals) and Phillip Joll is an atrocious Kurwenal. Having said that, Gwynne Howell is an outstanding Marke.

(I'd disagree with Mandryka about Warren Ellsworth. His voice is certainly not beautiful but it's certainly compelling, and he gives a real performance. He was an extraordinary artist on stage)[QUOTE]

Ellsworth was very effective in this role on stage, because his slight frame and youthful appearance made him look more like most peoples' vision of the character than just about any other tenor of that time.

Goodall's Tristan is the only one of his Wagner recordings I've yet to hear....it would strike me as an ideal candidate for Universal to licence to Testament, or some other enterprising collectors' label.

Comment

• Prommer
              • Dec 2010

Look what has popped up on YouTube....! Reggie conducting Tristan at ENO in 1981, from a live broadcast...
              And look at the cast!

Tristan - Alberto Remedios

Isolde - Linda Esther Gray

Kurwenal - Norman Bailey

Brangäne - Felicity Palmer

King Marke - John Tomlinson

WAGNER, TRISTAN, UND, ISOLDE, GRAY, REMEDIOS, TOMLINSON, PALMER, BAILEY, GOODALL, 1981, LIVE

Comment

Working...
              X