• Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Le dumbing down ?

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

And now deceased, amid cries of elitism? Not just a disease afflicting R3 it would seem. Ye Gads!

K.
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
        http://jefopera.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...tiques-de.html

And now deceased, amid cries of elitism? Not just a disease afflicting R3 it would seem. Ye Gads!

K.
        No - it's still going!

Autour d’une poignée de versions de chefs-d’œuvre du répertoire, soumis à une écoute en aveugle, trois critiques élisent chaque semaine la version reine. Mais auditeurs et internautes sont aussi tous conviés à décerner les notes et les médailles.

Your link, kara, was an article in 2011 when it looked as if it was going west... it was replaced by something called (absurdly) 'Le Jardin de Critiques', but the original title has returned.

However, there is something in your comment - it's been reduced this season from 2 hours to 90 minutes... and there's a retrograde step too in that each extract is played and immediately followed by comments by the 3 or 4 critics. Before, the extracts were played in pairs, which allowed some measure of comparison by listeners. So the constant interruptions by chat, and the shorter extracts, combine to give the impression of MUCH more talk than music. I listened to 2 or 3 of them on recent car trips, and found it rather annoying. Still worth hearing when it's about an interesting work... (but heavens, Charpentier's Te Deum is a dull piece, whichever way you perform it !!)
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          No - it's still going!

Autour d’une poignée de versions de chefs-d’œuvre du répertoire, soumis à une écoute en aveugle, trois critiques élisent chaque semaine la version reine. Mais auditeurs et internautes sont aussi tous conviés à décerner les notes et les médailles.

Your link, kara, was an article in 2011 when it looked as if it was going west... it was replaced by something called (absurdly) 'Le Jardin de Critiques', but the original title has returned.

However, there is something in your comment - it's been reduced this season from 2 hours to 90 minutes... and there's a retrograde step too in that each extract is played and immediately followed by comments by the 3 or 4 critics. Before, the extracts were played in pairs, which allowed some measure of comparison by listeners. So the constant interruptions by chat, and the shorter extracts, combine to give the impression of MUCH more talk than music. I listened to 2 or 3 of them on recent car trips, and found it rather annoying. Still worth hearing when it's about an interesting work... (but heavens, Charpentier's Te Deum is a dull piece, whichever way you perform it !!)
          Thanks Caliban for the heads-up...I will resubscribe to the podcast now!

K
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
          X