• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Bach Cantata Box Set: JEG

I'm considering investing in this set. Does anyone have any comments on it?
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I'm considering investing in this set. Does anyone have any comments on it?
    Any chance of a link please? (so that the telepathy is kept to a minimum)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Any chance of a link please? (so that the telepathy is kept to a minimum)
      Ouch!

Comment

• amateur51

Thanks!

Comment

• Richard Barrett

I love those recordings and have almost all of them as separate releases. The advantage they have over studio-based recordings is that the latter will generally have been recorded in piecemeal fashion, and edited together later, whereas the fact that JEG's recordings are based on performing a cantata from start to finish gives their theological/emotional content a more dramatic and meaningful quality I think. I also like the fact that a wide range of vocal soloists is used, and of course the choir sings magnificently as it almost always does - which has ultimately become a sticking-point for me because I've become convinced that using four voices for the "choruses" rather than 20 or so, if it's done well, enhances these aspects of the music even more, as well as being the forces that Bach was almost certainly writing for.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

A relative [not on these MBs] thinks very highly of this set and lent it to me a few years ago.

Very enjoyable, I wouldn't buy it myself but Ithoroughly enjoyed dipping into it.

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

Whether you buy (or want to buy) the boxed set depends on whether you prefer JEG's performances to those of other conductors (to state the blindingly obvious). To me his performances have much more the feel of "concert performances" (where ever they are performed) than liturgical performances and are sometimes rather hard driven. I prefer the Suzuki recordings - but that's just me.

(I do think the cover photos on the individual JEG CDs are wonderful though. If I came across any in a shop I would have difficulty stopping myself buying them just for those photos.)

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                I prefer the Suzuki recordings - but that's just me.
                I would agree with johnb. If I wanted to buy a complete set, the Gardiner would not be my first choice.
                A quick count of the Bach cantata CDs on my shelves gives a pretty accurate idea of my preferences:

Britten - 1
                Coin - 3
                Gardiner - 1
                Guillon - 1
                Harnoncourt - 5
                Herreweghe - 5
                Koopman - 3
                Kuijken - 15
                Marriner - 1
                McCreesh - 3
                Milnes - 2
                Ristenpart - 9 (box set)
                Suzuki - 8
                Taylor - 1

If I wanted one complete set, I'd go for Suzuki, but, on the whole, I prefer a mixture.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  I would agree with johnb. If I wanted to buy a complete set, the Gardiner would not be my first choice.
                  A quick count of the Bach cantata CDs on my shelves gives a pretty accurate idea of my preferences:

Britten - 1
                  Coin - 3
                  Gardiner - 1
                  Guillon - 1
                  Harnoncourt - 5
                  Herreweghe - 5
                  Koopman - 3
                  Kuijken - 15
                  Marriner - 1
                  McCreesh - 3
                  Milnes - 2
                  Ristenpart - 9 (box set)
                  Suzuki - 8
                  Taylor - 1

If I wanted one complete set, I'd go for Suzuki, but, on the whole, I prefer a mixture.
                  I have all the Rilling set, and a healthy sprinkling of Karl Richter. I've been impressed by all the JEG Bach I've heard. I just wondered whether the live aspect of the Pilgrimage revealed any shortcomings?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

I have all the Rilling set, and a healthy sprinkling of Karl Richter. I've been impressed by all the JEG Bach I've heard. I just wondered whether the live aspect of the Pilgrimage revealed any shortcomings?
                    I think that videos were made of some of the performances, for example:

~~~ , skp that all4K Video DownloaderEnglish Deutsch (Koreanische 179) subtitlesBBCBACH at St David'sOpus Arte Media Productions & BBC Wales © 2000BWV179 (-0...

I have a couple of the SDG "Pilgrimage" CD sets, no shortcomings in the recorded sound or performances on those. My reservations are those of others - very "professional", large choir (about six voices per part - much larger than Bach requested, even if he did mean them to perform all at once - which he didn't, of course), correspondingly large orchestra, adult (and female) professionally trained solo singers. HIPP "only" in the use of period instruments, tempi and articulation, and with the advantage of a sense of occasion. If you've liked his other Bach, you need have no reservations about these.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I have a couple of the SDG "Pilgrimage" CD sets, no shortcomings in the recorded sound or performances on those. My reservations are those of others - very "professional", large choir (about six voices per part - much larger than Bach requested, even if he did mean them to perform all at once - which he didn't, of course), correspondingly large orchestra, adult (and female) professionally trained solo singers. HIPP "only" in the use of period instruments, tempi and articulation, and with the advantage of a sense of occasion. If you've liked his other Bach, you need have no reservations about these.
                      That's the reassurance I needed.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I see that Amazon are now offering it for £138 - that's a pretty good deal for 56 CDs.

Comment

• Pegleg
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            I see that Amazon are now offering it for £138 - that's a pretty good deal for 56 CDs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Cantata...rdiner+box+set
                            Very tempting, but I'm torn between this and other cycles and contributions. Particularly Suzuki, Kuijken and Herreweghe. Such as:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrI3_kU2FM (Kuijken OVPP with Magdalena Kozena again)

or an extract of Kuijken BWV 140 from his accent recordings:

Koopman BWV140 for comparison:

Suzuki examples:

Thanks for the Gardiner link, that's one I hadn't seen.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

What a pity about the price! Although good for the amount of cd's in the set, but not in my price range!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X