• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Schumann Piano Quintet

...after hearing a thrilling live performance i would like to obtain a recording of this work and would be delighted to read of any recommended versions ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

This is a pretty good version, with the lovely piano quartet and piano trios thrown in for good measure:

(sorry, too lazy to do the in-sentence link!)

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Artemis was the BAL recommendation in April 2008. Can't say I heard it.

Fantastic work. Full of life and joy.

I like the Lindsays with Peter Frankl. They performed it live with him often. Not sure if it's on the market currently.

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

A previous BaL recommendation was Thomas Rajna and the Alberni Quartet (CRD - still available). I bought this and have always found it very satisfying.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Argerich and friends in one of the Lugano sets - magnificent.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

The Philips version with the Beaux Arts Trio plus Samuel Rhodes ( Viola.) and Dolf Bettelheim ( Violin ) coupled with the equally fine Piano Quartet is the one I always choose to listen to. I hope it's still in the catalogue, it's aa very nice recording in the Concertgebouw.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              The Philips version with the Beaux Arts Trio plus Samuel Rhodes ( Viola.) and Dolf Bettelheim ( Violin ) coupled with the equally fine Piano Quartet is the one I always choose to listen to. I hope it's still in the catalogue, it's aa very nice recording in the Concertgebouw.
              Seconded. (And it was the version in aeolium's post #2 above, as a bargain twofer with the piano trios!)

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

The performance from which I got to know the work is on a CBS LP from 1966 (SBRG 72429), with The Budapest String Quartet and Rudolf Serkin. I still treasure it. I've also got the Beaux Arts Trio with Rhodes and Bettelheim, and The Juilliard String Quartet with Leonard Bernstein, also both on LP. Dont know for certain if any of these have made it to LP, but judging from previous posts, The Beaux Arts must have done. I'd be happy with any of them.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

There is also Christian Zacharias with the Cherubini qtt on an EMI double, giving you the piano quintet and the 3 string quartets - I like it a lot.

If you're looking for a period performance, there's a good CD with the Michelangelo qtt (Elena Matteucci plays an 1830 Viennese fortepiano by Simon) on chandos/chaconne - this couples the pno qtt and pno quintet; there is also an interesting if overpriced CD with La Gaia Scienza on Winter & Winter (Federica Valli plays an 1842 Érard) - this couples the pno quintet with the Sechs Stücke in Kanonischer Form op 56

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I am rather fond of the recording by Richard Burnett and the Fitzwilliam Quartet ("on original instruments") recorded some 9 years before the Chandos issue falsely claiming to be the first on historical insruments:

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

Another vote for the Beaux Arts from me

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks, Vinteuil and Bryn for the period suggestions. I also have the piano trios on my shopping list from the Benvenue Piano Trio (Monica Huggett).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

the Beaux Arts is most likely [value for £ is astonishing] and i treasure their Schubert Trios ...

many thanks for the advice and suggestions ...
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            the Beaux Arts is most likely [value for £ is astonishing] and i treasure their Schubert Trios ...

many thanks for the advice and suggestions ...
                            That was a very recent purchase - just before the request for info. Another was the Wihan Quartet playing with Martin Hasik. coupled with the Dvorak Op 81 quintet, which we heard the quartet play recently - though with another pianist.

Years ago I would have objected more to the Duo (now Decca) version, as the Op 63 Trio is split across 2 CDs. However, most of us know how to rip these together and perhaps put them onto another CD, so it's not maybe a big deal. The trio isn't such a striking composition as the Quintet anway IMO.

I'll compare these and report back.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I am rather fond of the recording by Richard Burnett and the Fitzwilliam Quartet ("on original instruments") recorded some 9 years before the Chandos issue falsely claiming to be the first on historical insruments:
                              Bryn - thanks for that - I see I'll have to get the Burnett/Fitzwm: too ...

Comment

Working...
                              X