• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Is this the longest pressed CD yet?

The latest edition of the BBC Music Magazine has Pritchard's 1988 Prom performance of Verdi's Requiem as its cover disc. At a grand total timing of 82' 32", is this a new record[sic] for a pressed (as against 'burned') CD?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Karajan's Bruckner 8 in the DG VPO Symphony Edition has a timing of 82' 56" - on a single CD.

Comment

• Pikaia

It just beats Simon Rattle's recording of the completed Bruckner 9th, at 82' 10"

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Jonathan Nott's upcoming Mahler 6 at 80' 34" seems short measure now. None of these discs would be playable on my old Meridian CD player which rejected anything over 76 mins.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          Jonathan Nott's upcoming Mahler 6 at 80' 34" seems short measure now. None of these discs would be playable on my old Meridian CD player which rejected anything over 76 mins.
          I'm told that quite a few of the earlier CD players didn't like discs with durations in the upper 70s of minutes, yet my Sony CDP227esD's not far off 30 years old and has never had any trouble with long CDs such as Altarus's CD of Donna Amato playing the complete Edward MacDowell piano sonatas (at 81'06") or some of the same label's Sorabji discs which sail quite close to 80' apiece as far back as those in John Ogdon's historic recording of Opus Clavicembalisticum which is itself of a quarter century's vintage.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

The very first mp3 CD player I got (at a computer fair, way back) came with a warning that it would only play up to the then standard 74 minutes of CDA, or the equivalent total data content (650MB) of mp3s. By then, although 650MB was the standard, 703MB CD-Rs were common enough, and cost little more than the 650MB standard discs.

The longest overburn CD-R I have managed to successfully burn, and play on a variety of equipment, is of a Horenstein's Mahler 3 (97' 36"). If it can be done with overburn CD-Rs, why not pressed CDs?
            Last edited by Bryn; 29-08-13, 15:27.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I can offer the recommendable Taneyev Piano Trio and Quintet on DG with Mikhail Pletnev at 82'34.

Comment

• Pikaia

How about this, at 87' 34"?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

There was a CD with the whole of Furtwangler's Fidelio, though that had Act I on one stereo channel, and Act II on the other. With a suitable amplifier, you could select the channel you wanted, and hear it through both speakers. Otherwise, it was a matter of extreme use of the balance control.
                  Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 29-08-13, 18:25.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pikaia View Post
                    I'd be tempted, but I'm on this gum which is supposed to help me not buy CDs.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        There was a CD with the whole of Furtwangler's Fidelio, though that had Act I on one stereo channel, and Act II on the other. With a suitable amplifier, you could select the channel you wanted, and hear it through both speakers. Otherwise, it was a matter of extreme use of the balance control.
                        Ah! Good old RODOLPHE - I have that very CD. There was also the Krauss Ring cycle (on 6 discs), Parsifal (on 2) and single-discs for Dutchman and Lucia da Lammermoor (Callas & Karajan. There was also Furtwangler's Beethoven Symphonies (except for No2!) on two discs which had been removed from the shelves of one of the London HMV Shops when I went to buy it: PHILIPS (the owners of the CD format) had objected, apparently.

I also have Furtwangler's Freischutz on a double-sided CD (literally two discs bonded back-to-back: plays very well provided the disc drawer is deep enough.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I also have Furtwangler's Freischutz on a double-sided CD (literally two discs bonded back-to-back: plays very well provided the disc drawer is deep enough.
                            There have been double sided DVDs (known as "flippers") and I bought quite a few in the early days. But unlike double sided CDs, these were all of standard thickness.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              There have been double sided DVDs (known as "flippers") and I bought quite a few in the early days. But unlike double sided CDs, these were all of standard thickness.
                              One such was/is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turangalila-...galila+emi+dvd for which I paid the sum of £13.99 back in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                              X