Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I have always found this rather a difficult work. I thought Jochum’s Tahra account impressive and also his DG account but I never felt like listening to them very much despite all their qualities .

Sinopoli’s account ,however, is breathtaking. I don’t know why suddenly everything seems to fall into place and make sense. The recording also seems very clear and the textures too. I see now it received very good reviews at the time but it passed me by and has been sitting in a secondhand buy pile.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

I've long regarded this as Bruckner's greatest, certainly his most formally daring (in the finale) and structurally perfect masterpiece.
      Alas! I played the Klemperer so often in my listening youth, I pretty much wore it out emotionally. But I do take the finale on occasionally. Best to keep it moving though, not to monumentalise.....that's why FWM and the LPO (recorded in Vienna) had such a devastating effect on me when I first heard it...wow!

Comment

• akiralx
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Sinopoli’s account ,however, is breathtaking. I don’t know why suddenly everything seems to fall into place and make sense. The recording also seems very clear and the textures too. I see now it received very good reviews at the time but it passed me by and has been sitting in a secondhand buy pile.
        It has been a favourite of mine for many years (recorded in the Lukaskirche I believe, not the drier Semperoper as his Ninth was) but I now tend to listen to Thielemann's Munich PO recording, also on DG.

Comment

• Goon525
          • Feb 2014

Can I put in a word for Benjamin Zander’s version with the Philharmonia on Telarc? The performance probably wouldn’t win Building a Library (though it is very good), but the significant thing is that it comes with a second disc of 80 minutes with Zander describing, discussing and demonstrating how the symphony works. It’s a very worthwhile listen.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Sinopoli’s 5th is outstanding as is his 8th (Novak)

Agree with the comments on Zander. Haitink with the BRSO also good

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
              My favourite Bruckner 5, by a very long chalk, is from the Munich PO under Kempe - coupled with an equally seminal 4th. Now, sadly, rather hard to find at a reasonable price, snap it up if you do stumble on it anywhere! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-4-5...kempe+bruckner
              I am listening to this now . Judging by the first two movements I am not surprised .

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                I am listening to this now . Judging by the first two movements I am not surprised .
                I have not checked for the 4th but the 5th is available on QOBUZ. There seems to be a couple of alternative transfers there, FonoTeam and Carinco AG. I now find that the 4th is also there, again from FonoTeam. I guess these are the "Acanta" transfers since FonoTeam owned the Acanta label's recordings.
                Last edited by Bryn; 20-06-20, 11:44. Reason: Update.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

You should hear Haitink’s B5, on BR Klassic. It’s the one I really go for.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Goon525
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    Those late Haitink recordings on BR have really struck gold. Of course, the Mahler 3 won BBC MM's RotY a few years ago. There's also an excellent Missa Solemnis and a few others.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      Another vote for that. That, Sinopoli and 1986 Jochum are my top 3

The BPO Haitink released recently isn’t nearly as good

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I very much enjoyed Haitink's Bruckner 7 at his farewell Prom last summer but have been less impressed on record- that 1970s Seventh seemed very middle of the road but I did enjoy the LSO Live recording of the Ninth.

The Kempe Fifth deserves all Karafan's encomiums. I think has now even topped my recent favourite Sinopoli in my affections.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                          My favourite Bruckner 5, by a very long chalk, is from the Munich PO under Kempe - coupled with an equally seminal 4th. Now, sadly, rather hard to find at a reasonable price, snap it up if you do stumble on it anywhere! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-4-5...kempe+bruckner
                          ... there is a 10 CD scribendum box 'The Art of Kempe' which gives you the Bruckner 4 and 5 with the Munich PO, and 8 with the Zurich Tonhalle, as well as the following -

Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67
                          Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68
                          Brahms: Symphony No. 3 in F major, Op. 90
                          Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 in Eb Major 'Romantic'
                          Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 in B flat major
                          Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 in C minor
                          Dvořák: Symphony No. 8 in G major, Op. 88
                          Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 'From the New World'
                          Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 27 in B flat major, K595
                          Respighi: Pines of Rome
                          Strauss, R: Don Juan, Op. 20
                          Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Overture

Available from amazon for abt £31 (I got mine a bit cheaper from amazon.de) :

Last edited by vinteuil; 23-06-20, 15:03.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... there is a 10 CD scribendum box 'The Art of Kempe' . . .

Available from amazon for abt £31 . . . :

£34.13 when p&p is taken into consideration.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Surprised at the few mentions of that stunning Vienna Konzerthaus LPO/FWM live one.... I see LaurieWatt loved it too, further back here... there's the connection to that earlier more volatile, quickened (in every sense) Brucknerian tradition, as thrillingly exemplified in the still far too little-known Volkmar Andreae 1953 cycle.

"...not a CD for those of a nervous disposition..."
                              "...on the glory trail, carrying all before him...."

LPO/Welser-Most, Gramophone, 4/95.... Richard Osborne's well-tempered Brucknerian breath truly taken away (but retaining his cultured, allusive articulacy) ...... as was mine, some years later upon this discovery...
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-06-20, 15:14.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                £34.13 when p&p is taken into consideration.
                                ... ah well, mine from amazon.de cost £22.44 incl. p&p

Comment

Working...
                                X