• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Schumann Symphonies Complete Set

just acquired the set by David Zinman with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra from emusic [v good price] and currently listening to these mp3 downloads ... do boredees have favourite versions or views on Zinman?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

SCO, Mackerras, (Radio 3 broadcasts from the EIF). Otherwise, JEG or Norrington.
    Last edited by Bryn; 22-07-13, 16:43. Reason: Damned predictive text!

Comment

• Roehre

My favourites: JEG (DGG), Muti/Philharmonia (EMI) and Kubelik/BPO (DGG)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

One to avoid -- Harnoncourt / COE. I'm not sure if he has recorded all four, but his performances of 3 & 4 are very uninspiring and foursquare, a back to Oxfam item for me, but it was bought as a bargain!

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Kubelik
          Bavarian Radio SO

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Sawallisch, Szell and Kubelik - Furtwangler in No 4

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I always, always, always come back to the Staatskapelle Dresden set under Sawallisch... one of those recordings that however many other performances one hears, seems 'just right'. (Haven't heard the Zinman, having said that).

Great value these days - £11.60 or less on a GROC double http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schumann-Sym...den+sawallisch

Pure magic
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                I always, always, always come back to the Staatskapelle Dresden set under Sawallisch... one of those recordings that however many other performances one hears, seems 'just right'. (Haven't heard the Zinman, having said that).

Great value these days - £11.60 or less on a GROC double http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schumann-Sym...den+sawallisch

Pure magic
                I have Kubelik, Szell, Barenboim,and Karajan. Von K is the most consistently satisfying.

Comment

• Parry1912
                  • Nov 2010

JEG, BPO/Kubelik and Karajan for me. I must give Sawallisch another listen.
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Traditionals: Sawallisch, Szell, Vonk, - Paray/Detroit SO too, if sonically a bit uneven - but a lighter more agile approach (which I always prefer) and an outstanding No.1.

Refreshers: Harnoncourt/COE (one of the very best, with the 1841 4th - supplemented by the revised 4th with the Berlin Phil, c/w Schubert 4, great CD). Zinman (wonderfully warm-yet-clear sound on CD), JEG

Wild Cards: Bamberg SO/Ceccato (BIS) ... these are the Mahler re-orchestrations (dynamic alterations too) - they include a short edit in 2(iv) (don't faint), but have a lovely blend of fullness, warmth and agility - very expressive approach, not too heavy (biggest sin in this rep.). Sound is very dynamic in the early BIS manner, strings occasionally a little fierce. Lovable, rewarding, off-the-beaten set. Try sampling it at eclassical.
                    Chailly's Leipzig Schumann is also the Mahler edit, very well played and recorded, but for me just a bit too hefty.

Radical: Swedish CO/Dausgaard (BIS) ... this can seem somewhat severe & plain-spoken at times, vibrato at a minimum, but great clarity of line, rhythm and texture and always keeps you listening; light and swift, still expressive enough in slow movements (especially 2). Outstandingly natural sound, and it includes one of the best Overture,Scherzo and Finale(s) I've heard. Just try a bit at a time as a download.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Karajan, Kubelik (both sets) and Muti: if allowed only one; Karajan.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Don't care for the sound on the Sawallisch set - much too overbearing. I prefer BPO/Kubelik, BRSO/Kubelik and Karajan.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Karajan for me

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

interesting the vienna Phil seems not to be favoured in these works? [forgive my ignorance if you have already referred to them above ]
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                              • Sep 2012

I have the Kubelik BRSO and Klemperer with the Philharmonia.

I don't have, but i've heard and really enjoyed Konwitschny's set with the Gewandhausorchester

Comment

Working...
                              X