Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slarty

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I only have Thielemann's Second which as I recall got a very favourable review in Gramophone but a number of others put the boot in on grounds of tempi especially of the slow movement . I liked it but I can hear why others didn't - it is very Romantic .
    That's the problem, the public survives mainly on a diet of skimmed milk these days, so that when a wonderful, very politically uncorrect ,unashamedly romantic interpreter arrives on the scene offering the full double cream variety, he is vilified for it. Schumann is, after all one of the foundations of the 19th century german romantic movement in symphonic music and should really be played that way, it's like having to forever watch 5-a-side football instead of the real thing.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by slarty View Post
      That's the problem, the public survives mainly on a diet of skimmed milk these days, so that when a wonderful, very politically uncorrect ,unashamedly romantic interpreter arrives on the scene offering the full double cream variety, he is vilified for it. Schumann is, after all one of the foundations of the 19th century german romantic movement in symphonic music and should really be played that way, it's like having to forever watch 5-a-side football instead of the real thing.
      hear hear (slurp too!) ahem ....

and yes to the mention of Gal's cello Concerto .... which i will listen to today; only a recent download ....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Schumann is, after all, one of the founding figures (along with Mendelssohnn) of the 19th Century German Romantic movement, not a post-Wagnerian expressionist and should not be played in that way, which is more like watching a bunch of football hooligans in a punch-up rather than a real boxing match.

I adore the high-cholesterol of Karajan, Kubelik and Muti, but I find increasingly that I prefer Schumann's Music (lithe, quick-witted, fizzing with the electricity of new ideas) played on the instruments and forces that he knew: it sounds more Romantic to me this way.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Schumann is, after all, one of the founding figures (along with Mendelssohnn) of the 19th Century German Romantic movement, not a post-Wagnerian expressionist and should not be played in that way, which is more like watching a bunch of football hooligans in a punch-up rather than a real boxing match.

I adore the high-cholesterol of Karajan, Kubelik and Muti, but I find increasingly that I prefer Schumann's Music (lithe, quick-witted, fizzing with the electricity of new ideas) played on the instruments and forces that he knew: it sounds more Romantic to me this way.
          Is it ok to love both, ferney?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
            Is it ok to love both, ferney?
            I hope so: I do (hence "I adore ... Karajan, Kubelik & Muti").

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

... in the right frame of mind i still find great enjoyment in Klemperer and the Phil or K & BPO in the Brandenburg Concertos ....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                My own experience too

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  ... in the right frame of mind i still find great enjoyment in Klemperer and the Phil or K & BPO in the Brandenburg Concertos ....
                  - Boult's is pretty terrific, too.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    My own experience too

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

My Hanover Band/Goodman double CD set arrived today (£11.16 including p&p). I notice the 4th is the original, not the revised, version. I will listen to one or two of the symphonies this afternoon.

_
                      Last edited by Bryn; 28-07-13, 19:35.

Comment

• Oliver

Coincidentally, I was listening to my Gardiner recording of the Fourth before I chanced upon this thread. Cutting down the vibrato and using original instruments cleans the muddiness form Schumann's scoring. A triumph.

Comment

• verismissimo
                          • Nov 2010

I decided to invest in the Tonhalle/Zinman, which I'm enjoying greatly.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            My Hanover Band/Goodman double CD set arrived today (£11.16 including p&p). I notice the 4th is the original, not the revised, version. I will listen to one or two of the symphonies this afternoon.

_
                            I'd be grateful for your first impressions please Bryn - thanks to the advocacy of some Board members and his own Beethoven violin concerto BaL, I've grown to be rather fond of Mr Goodman and his merry band

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                              • Nov 2010

Sadly Mr Goodman gave up his conducting work with the Hanover Band nearly 20 years ago, in 1994.
                              He now guest conducts all over the world as well as being the Principal Guest Conductor of the English Chamber Orchestra.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

After the disappointing MCO/Harding Schumann 2nd at the Proms I returned to the Harnoncourt set on the original 1992/4 Teldecs. WOW! Even better than I remembered with outstanding sound too, as good as the Dausgaard, even a little warmer and more spacious. The COE/NH partnership was at its peak then - easy to forget what a great orchestra they can be. Especially in that lovely Stefaniensaal Graz acoustic.
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-08-13, 00:51. Reason: Teldec/Telarc - thanks Cloughie!

Comment

Working...
                                X