X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Cloud players e.g Amazon Cloud Player

I have mentioned Amazon and Autorip recently. Following my recent download of the Thielemann Wagner set I went back to Amazon Cloud to download it again on another machine. As I watched, the system started to put a lot of CDs which I've bought previously into my cloud library. This includes some sets which I've still not opened, so now I'm listening to the Aeolian Quartet's set of Haydn quartets.

This facility may prove useful/helpful for others, and can of course also enable one to compare the sound from a CD with that of a streamed source or a download.
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I have mentioned Amazon and Autorip recently. Following my recent download of the Thielemann Wagner set I went back to Amazon Cloud to download it again on another machine. As I watched, the system started to put a lot of CDs which I've bought previously into my cloud library. This includes some sets which I've still not opened, so now I'm listening to the Aeolian Quartet's set of Haydn quartets.

This facility may prove useful/helpful for others, and can of course also enable one to compare the sound from a CD with that of a streamed source or a download.
    Their 'Autorip' facility means as soon as you buy a CD from Amazon, an e-copy is downloaded to you ahead of your CD's arrival in the post. Additionally, this applies to all your previous purchases. Pretty neat!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

intrusive.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        intrusive.

One man's intrusive is another's meat. Regarding downloads, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. When you want your music quickly, a stitch in time saves nine. No point crying over spilt milk if you can't play the tune you want, it's just water under the bridge.

Everything else is just a cliche.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
          Their 'Autorip' facility means as soon as you buy a CD from Amazon, an e-copy is downloaded to you ahead of your CD's arrival in the post. Additionally, this applies to all your previous purchases. Pretty neat!
          OK if you want all this stuff on your computer - I only download occasionally, stuff which is much more expensive or unavailable on CD and with these burn to disc asap. Why do Amazon make the assumption we are all downloading fanatics?

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

One man's intrusive is another's meat. Regarding downloads, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. When you want your music quickly, a stitch in time saves nine. No point crying over spilt milk if you can't play the tune you want, it's just water under the bridge.

Everything else is just a cliche.
            You know your clichés Beefy!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              OK if you want all this stuff on your computer - I only download occasionally, stuff which is much more expensive or unavailable on CD and with these burn to disc asap. Why do Amazon make the assumption we are all downloading fanatics?
              Probably because their 'we' is wider than the Friends of Radio 3 Forum 'us'. We are probably one of the least representative communities out there.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Is this in fact the case?

Isn't it more that copies are made available, and you, the end user, can then decide whether to
                (a) listen to the CD - via streaming - which would not store a copy on your computer, or
                (b) download the CD - which would store a copy.

If the download happened automatically as you have suggested, then some people's disc drives could fill up very quickly and that could be considered intrusive.

Also, I don't think this Autorip feature applies to every CD, and even where it does, it may only apply to ones bought from Amazon, not CDs bought via market place sellers.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Is this in fact the case?

Isn't it more that copies are made available, and you, the end user, can then decide whether to
                  (a) listen to the CD - via streaming - which would not store a copy on your computer, or

(b) download the CD - which would store a copy.

If the download happened automatically as you have suggested, then some people's disc drives could fill up very quickly and that could be considered intrusive.

Also, I don't think this Autorip feature applies to every CD, and even where it does, it may only apply to ones bought from Amazon, not CDs bought via market place sellers.
                  It is downloaded to your cloud player which is on your computer when you buy from Amazon, not other sellers. Pretty neat!

Comment

• robk
                    • Nov 2010

I have just had an email from Amazon to say that 104 albums I have purchased from them are now available on their Cloud Player to play or download. I think that is rather good - and it's free.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by robk View Post
                      I have just had an email from Amazon to say that 104 albums I have purchased from them are now available on their Cloud Player to play or download. I think that is rather good - and it's free.
                      It's brilliant isn't it!?

Comment

• Stunsworth
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        OK if you want all this stuff on your computer
                        The download is optional. If you don't want it, don't download it. If you do, do.
                        Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

It is downloaded to your cloud player which is on your computer when you buy from Amazon, not other sellers. Pretty neat!
                          Yes, but downloaded to "your cloud player" leaves it in "the cloud" I think, until you download it onto your machine. I hope so!

Comment

• robk
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, but downloaded to "your cloud player" leaves it in "the cloud" I think, until you download it onto your machine. I hope so!
                            The files are held on Amazon's server. I do not intend to download them on to my hard drive because I ripped them all when I purchased the CD's. What I like is that I can access my purchases on any computer with an internet connection just by logging in to my amazon account.

Comment

• Jon Benger
                              • Nov 2010

One benefit to me of the Amazon Cloud player is that I now have access to listen to and download the many CDs which I've bought as gifts for other people

Comment

Working...
                              X