X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Just finished listening .

I have missed that reaction . Robert Matthew Walker will no doubt have kittens when he sees that the Scherzo is first and on a separate disc .

I think it is an exceptional performance . It is a symphony which I have tended to judge rather by Barbirolli whose recording was the first I had and I have tried many other recordings over the years - the Pappano joins that and the BPO/Abbado as my favourite Sixths.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
      Mark Wigglesworth in Mahler 10 (Cooke):

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/4163345
      Best current UK price seems to be that at Amazon:

They have filed it under "Music", rather than "Classical".

I wonder if Alison has ordered, or indeed got, it yet?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I hope that this suggestion isn't too cutting edge but ... any chance of a link to some of these reviews, please

Would be nice, Ams, I agree! ! Just looked quickly without success

But putting mahler 6 pappano into google, on the second page i.e. about #20 of 109,000 search results, one finds the link to Mahlerei's verdict about EMI and the new Mahler 6.. http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...9360#post99360

We're all rather visible here, aren't we!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          AS was indeed a most remarkable conductor. There's a most glowing published review of his conducting the UK première of Gurrelieder in London in the mid-1920s; its author, the composer Sorabji, much later told me that, in his view, had AS chosen a conducting career, his international reputation would easily have attained at least the level of that of Toscanini.
          And Anton Webern was -according to AS- even better. His Mahler was famous.
          Tho two recordings of his which I've got in my collection (Berg's violin concerto and a set of Schubert dances orchestrated by Webern) seem to confirm this.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Caliban

We are indeed

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Best current UK price seems to be that at Amazon:

I wonder if Alison has ordered, or indeed got, it yet?
              Not yet ordered, Nethers. Maybe it was the comparative disappointment of the Wiggers Sixth with the same forces
              which has tempered enthusiasm. I will rectify in the near future and report back. I can scarcely imagine the welsh disc being bettered of course.

And the Sixth really merits a reaudition too.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Somewhere, on a cassette, I should still have his first outing with the 10th (BBCSO).

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

I've read nothing but glowing reviews for Pappano's Mahler 6 and have ordered it from Amazon this morning. Looking forward to it- I think it's probably my favourite Mahler Symphony.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• barber olly

Somewhere, on a cassette, I should still have his first outing with the 10th (BBCSO).
                    There is also his BBCNOW recording on an early BBC Magazine CD.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                      There is also his BBCNOW recording on an early BBC Magazine CD.
                      Of which I bought about a dozen copies to pass on to friends when they turned up (£1 each) at a remainder stall in the local market here a month or so after I got my shop-bought copy of the magazine. On the old boards Alison and I used to wax lyrical about that disc (a better performance than those he directed with the BBCSO, to my ears).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Alerted to an old pile of unlistened to BBC Music Magazine CDs by the comments on the Lobgesang I find I have a BBC/PO Mahler 6 by Mackerras unopened - anyone heard it ?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Indeed, this disc was also well discussed on the old BBC board. Quite a few objected to the failure to observe the big repeat in the first movement, the order of the movements, and the restoration of the third hammer blow. I love it, as did/do a good many others.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Two new Mahler recordings that I am enjoying are worth looking out for.

The first is lieder sung by mezzo Hermine Haselbock with Russell Ryan (piano). She sings Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen; Fünf Lieder nach Texten von Friedrich Rückert and Kindertotenlieder on Bridge 9341. Haselbock has amazingly clear diction, expressive if lacking a touch of beauty to her voice.

The second is a fascinating recording from the excellent tenor Christoph Prégardien with the Ensemble Kontraste on Challenge Classics CC72518. The Mahler score is Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen in Schoenberg’s arrangement for small ensemble. The remaining programme are arrangements of Schumann and Killmayer Lieder for voice and small ensemble.

Comment

• makropulos
                              • Nov 2010

Indeed, this disc was also well discussed on the old BBC board. Quite a few objected to the failure to observe the big repeat in the first movement, the order of the movements, and the restoration of the third hammer blow. I love it, as did/do a good many others.
                              Totally agree, Bryn. I'm definitely among the good many others - It's one of my all-time favourite Mahler 6 performances. I don't remember the objections to the movement order, but since Mackerras played the middle movements Andante-Scherzo he was only doing what Mahler asked for.

(By the way, the whole concert was fantastic - it started with a terrific Strauss Don Juan. I've a tape of the whole thing somewhere...)

Comment

Working...
                              X