Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Mahler's3rd;291013The New York Philharmonic Mahler Radio Broadcasts 1948-1982 Set, last time I looked it was $400[/QUOTE]

Or the Horenstein Mahler 3 which is > £30

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
      Complete set of Bach Cantatas. - but by whom ?
      My cousin, who, although he doesn't speak German, gets much more out ofthe Cantatas than I do, has th JEG programmes when the conductor visited all the appropriate churches where they were first played. On DVD I think. Not sure whether they are all there, secular ones as well.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

All this music! One symphony at a time for me these days... so I'd probably get a mac mini with SSD for storing and playing downloads.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Would there be enough for a piano and lessons (starting from scratch)?

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The Decca Sounds, EMI Eminence box, Mercury Vol1 & 2, Wagner!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

The. Complete works of Bo Holten.

Comment

• Wensleydale Blue

I followed an Ebay auction for an original 1989 vinyl pressing of Bernstein's VPO version of Mahler's 6th a few weeks back. It went for £517 and while supposedly in mint condition I'm quite happy with the CD version I paid £4 for. If I had £XXX and something better than a Rega P3 turntable to play it on, would I pay that sort of price for an old record? Probably would I suppose. But would I get any greater joy out of actually listening to the piece. I hope not, but wealth does funny things to people.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
                  The Anthology of The Royal Concertgebouw Box Set's, there's 7 I think at £70 each
                  & The New York Philharmonic Mahler Radio Broadcasts 1948-1982 Set, last time I looked it was $400
                  I have the New York Mahler set; it cost me £99 in 1998. Tower Records (remember them?) had dozens of them at the time.

I'd also get the complete series of Round the Horne on CD. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-Horne-...horne+complete
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Ditto for me, Petrushka, for the "Round the Horne" box...I kick myself for not having snapped it up at normal prices when it first came out, now it is an astronomical price.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I would buy a shed load of Glenn Gould stuff.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Yes I do remember Tower Record's Petrushka, a place of wonder at one time, a bit like the Lower ground floor at HMV Oxford Circus, though I have'nt been to HMV for a while the last time I did go it was a sad sight. Hopefully HMV will prosper now they have new owners. After I left the Royal Albert Hall yesterday morning, I popped into Harold Moores, that's a fantastic place, if you get the chance to get there

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          I have the New York Mahler set; it cost me £99 in 1998. Tower Records (remember them?) had dozens of them at the time.
                          I have fond memories of Tower in Birmingham - conveniently on my route from workplace to railway station - often had interesting items at the right price (at the time - would look expensive now in this era of big box and on line purchases).
                          Tower in San Francisco was also an interesting experience - a favourable dollar at the time encouraged me to spend, and there were things unavailable in UK.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I have fond memories of Tower in Birmingham - conveniently on my route from workplace to railway station - often had interesting items at the right price
                            During my first decade or two working in London, Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus was always tempting after an evening out during the week, as it closed at midnight. On a number of occasions, I wound up browsing there after an evening in a pub in the West End, and the moderate consumption of alcohol would stimulate one's tendency to purchase

There was one evening when I had had rather too much to drink (it was rare!) and I had two isolated recollections of the journey home: (1) being in Tower (2) unwrapping a bossa nova CD back home in the kitchen... No memory at all of choosing it, or why, or purchasing it (I had done - there was a receipt!)

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I recall one evening when I had had rather too much to drink (it was rare!) and I had two recollections of the journey home: (1) being in Tower (2) unwrapping a bossa nova CD in the kitchen...

This is how Boris will become Prime Minister. Think on!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X