X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

If you had £X what ... would you buy?

Suppose you get £X where X could be 500 or 1000, and you had no better use for it, what CDs, DVDs, SACDs etc. would you buy? I'm assuming musical media.

You might want to buy box sets, or a selection of individual CDs.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... the apparently unending series of the keyboard works of CPE Bach on bis by Miklós Spányi .

The individual CDs are not cheap, and I have decided not to invest - hoping there might ultimately be some big bargain box. But if funds were limitless..

I might also get that big Leslie Howard* hyperion Liszt box...

EDIT * not Stephen Hough as earlier - thanks RT for correction!
    Last edited by vinteuil; 09-05-13, 14:45.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

You don't mean the Leslie Howard do you v? 99 CDs.....Currently dipping into that and reading Alan Walker's 3-vol biog - the one I mentioned a while ago in "What are you reading now", by Esther Perenyi, is back in the charity shop where it belongs.

If money were no object, I'd get the entire Julian Bream back catalogue on RCA, and get rid of the old, worn LPs..

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

The new Decca Britten Anniversary box, the Hyperion Schubert Edition, a couple of the Solti boxes (Wagner and Strauss) and the Karajan 1960s recordings on DG.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Stephen Smith

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          If money were no object, I'd get the entire Julian Bream back catalogue on RCA, and get rid of the old, worn LPs..
          I saw the big Bream RCA box - must have been 20-30 (or more) CD cases (it was in a locked case) in the Oxfam shop in York -46 Micklegate - early last week - £99.
          I have a few of his CD's and may acquire more, but I didn't feel I could do justice and listen to the full set!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thanks for that Stephen! Hmmmm. There's what looks like this set on Amazon, from a US seller, for £999

Or there's JB's own favourite albums, about 10 of them, in a set for £20-odd....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
              The new Decca Britten Anniversary box, the Hyperion Schubert Edition
              For £500, these would be high on my list, too, Parry - with the Karajan Ring and quite a few KAIROS, aeon, NEON and STRADIVARIUS issues, too.

But, for £1000, I'd rather spend the money on upgrading my HiFi equipment, going for the best separates I could get second-hand. (Second-hand because this would offer me better equipment; and owners who have that sort of kit tend to look after it!)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Thanks for that Stephen! Hmmmm. There's what looks like this set on Amazon, from a US seller, for £999

Or there's JB's own favourite albums, about 10 of them, in a set for £20-odd....
                This forthcoming box should be more affordable - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Julian-Bream...sim_sbs_m_h__2

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Wow - thank you Dave. Looks like it.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

No hesitation here. I'd get the Concertgebouw Anthology series which were way beyond my pocket when they first appeared. According to the RCO website they are to be reissued this summer as a single boxed set.

Another few good wins on the horses and the bookies can pay for them!
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gamba
                      Late member
                      • Dec 2010

Complete set of Bach Cantatas. - but by whom ?

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                        Complete set of Bach Cantatas. - but by whom ?
                        I suspect you'd get better results with mix and match if you chose the £1000 option. I'm sure there's a whole new thread possibility here, though it may have been done before. I like some of Suzuki's and some of JEG's and there are bound to be others.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I'm with Vinteuil on the BIS CPE Bach series - I would love to have all of those, I find this composer utterly beguiling.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                            • Nov 2010

I'd go potty on HMV Japan buying up interesting live stuff.....

I'd also buy theRCA/Wand 33cd box of live material. I saw it recently in La Boite in Brussels but haven't seen it on sale here

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

The Anthology of The Royal Concertgebouw Box Set's, there's 7 I think at £70 each
                              & The New York Philharmonic Mahler Radio Broadcasts 1948-1982 Set, last time I looked it was $400

Comment

Working...
                              X