X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Furtwangler Recordings Beethoven Sixth Symphony

I was scanning my collection and realized that I don't have a Furtwangler recording of Beethoven's 6th. Arkivmusic lists 12 different versions, not including the recent Pristine Audio offering. Do any Furtwanglerians out there have a recommendation s to which version, and which remastering, might be the top choice?
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I was scanning my collection and realized that I don't have a Furtwangler recording of Beethoven's 6th. Arkivmusic lists 12 different versions, not including the recent Pristine Audio offering. Do any Furtwanglerians out there have a recommendation s to which version, and which remastering, might be the top choice?
    Hi Richard

I have this version on Music & Arts, which is on my list of CDs to sell/exchange to reduce duplicates and procure new music (I'm just discovering Wagner!). Would be happy to come to some sort of arrangement, if this suits. It comes with live accounts of the Third and Fifth. Post-war performances with the Berlin Philharmonic.

It's in very good condition, but was ordered s/h, so jewel box, etc. won't look "as new". The performance can be previewed here:

Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 24-04-13, 12:29.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

That's the Pastoral I would have recommended myself, Throppers, (if it's 1952 or '53, not at home so can't verify but the later ones are very satisfying).

K.
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
        That's the Pastoral I would have recommended myself, Throppers, (if it's 1952 or '53, not at home so can't verify but the later ones are very satisfying).

K.
        For yours and Richard's benefit, here are the details of the performances:

Symphony No. 3: Berlin, Titania Palast (8 December 1952)
        Leonore No. 2 Overture: Hamburg, Hamburg Philharmonic State Orchestra (9 June 1947)
        Symphony No. 5: Berlin, Titania Palast (23 May 1954)
        Symphony No. 6 'Pastoral': Berlin, Titania Palast (23 May 1954)
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

There's also a Vienna Philharmonic recording of the Pastoral from 1952 which I thought was very good (I originally had it on a Unicorn LP, coupled with the Coriolan overture). I'm not sure under what label it has been released on CD, perhaps EMI References.

Comment

• Karafan
            • Nov 2010

Oh yes, it's 23rd May 1954 which I love....so deeply felt and genuinely affecting.
            "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

It's the Nov. 52 Vienna Philharmonic recording that's selected for the 107 CD Furtwangler set.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                Oh yes, it's 23rd May 1954 which I love....so deeply felt and genuinely affecting.
                I agree. I've just listened again to CD 12 of the Audite set from original RIAS tapes. Seems a bit slow at first but it works.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  Hi Richard

I have this version on Music & Arts, which is on my list of CDs to sell/exchange to reduce duplicates and procure new music (I'm just discovering Wagner!). Would be happy to come to some sort of arrangement, if this suits. It comes with live accounts of the Third and Fifth. Post-war performances with the Berlin Philharmonic.

It's in very good condition, but was ordered s/h, so jewel box, etc. won't look "as new". The performance can be previewed here:

Thanks Throp, although the cost of shipping to the US may make such a transaction less attractive. My recollection of Furtwangler's Pastorale --and it's been years since I have heard it, and I can't remember which version I heard--was that it was pretty slow, with his peasants seeming like they have had to much beer and sausage and passing flatus when they try to dance. Given my attractions for all of WF's other recordings, I want to give it another try.
                  I listened to the excerpts on the Pristine Audio website, and as usual, I am just not to impressed with any of the advertised 'sonic revelations' that others seem to esteem Pristine for. I see that no one here has recommended WF's 1944 performance. His other wartime Beethoven can be pretty tense and driven; it would be of interest to see what effect the war time stresses had on what is supposed to be Beethoven's happiest work.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

The Titania Palast performance is a delight - I have it coupled with the Fifth from the same night, the legendary 8.12.52 Eroica , the Lucerne Philharmonia 9th and a splendid Brahms 1 in a Tahra box .

The Fifth is pretty fabulous I think too .
                    Last edited by Barbirollians; 25-04-13, 21:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X