• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=pursuivant;190993]
    Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I was at the 2001 Prom with Gunter Wand and the NDRSO and will never, ever forget it. Can Testament be persuaded to twist the Beeb's arm and provide a CD release? I have a slightly less than adequate radio recording but this legendary performance cries out for issue.

Glad you like it Petrushka. I was fortunate to capture a decent off-air recording of this wonderful performance and since I have access to decent equipment I tidied it up and have my own CD copy for personal listening. It is very satisfying that the BBC engineers achieved excellent sound. Testament are very reliable and I am sure they would do an excellent job. Every Bruckner lover deserves the opportunity to hear this towering interpretation.
    Probably my favourite Bruckner symphony . I also am lucky enough to have a good off air recording of that 2001 Proms performance by Wand . His BPO studio recording is also very fine .

I first got to know the symphony through Dohnanyi's Cleveland record and loved its relative athleticism but on hearing it again recently I was rather disappointed - two movements were too fast and the Adagio too slow .

Barbirolli's BBC legends recording has all the hallmarks of his other Bruckner symphonies - really propulsive stuff and very exciting , Furtwangler downright terrific in a DG Double with the rather ropey cairo 7th and I should say now that Rattle has joined - Wand, Barbirolli and Furtwangler as my essential recordings.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Thumbs up for the new Rattle recording, anyone?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

BBM see this thread.

Comment

Working...
        X