• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Calling all (R). Straussians!

The new Hyperion 24/44.1 release of Don Quixote is a miracle of natural expressive beauty and fidelity to score and sound. It features Markus Stenz with the Koln-Gurzenich Orchestra, Lawrence Power and Alban Gerhardt.

Yes, we have Tortelier/Kempe, Janigro/Reiner, Rostropovich/Karajan (and their violists...) but here, there is a marvellous intimacy and insight into the relationship between the Don and Sancho Panza, it's much closer to a double-concerto than usual, with an orchestral support of breathtaking beauty, agility and sweep. At first you may find the acoustic a touch dry, but it opens up splendidly in all the big moments, the gorgeously soft, slightly muted colours of the gentler episodes are followed with splendidly glittering, visually evocative climaxes. (It's very tangible sound - there is Lawrence Power's viola floating before you!)

Simeone in the IRR and Andrew Clements in the Guardian ("well-nigh perfect"!) found the coupled Till Eulenspiegel good, but less special. So download The Don and leave it out. Even if you must buy the disc though, you can't miss this whatever your previous favourites, it's one of those special recordings that 2013 will be remembered by. Never done a 24-bit download? Here's a great place to start. It offers qualities (dynamic subtlety, timbral richness, a natural transparency and a fluidity) that CD never quite matches (and I remain a great fan and frequent listener to ye olde redbook..).
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-04-13, 22:03.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Are Brahmsians, Mahlerians and Schoenbergians personae non gratae, then?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thank you Jayne! The postman is scarcely able to stagger up the drive these days but this sounds a must - I already have your first two! Lawrence Power was Sancho at a marvellous performance in Cardiff recently, with Tim Hugh...it'll have to be a CD though, for now....I absolutely love this work

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Sounds good but, for now, I'll stick to the 12 versions I've already got!
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Good old Hyperionn have done it again!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

One of Richard Strauss's favourite orchestras has recorded two of his finest tone poems, one of which is among the best on disc, writes Tim Ashley

...and bear in mind that Andrew Clements is usually rather hard to please!

Hyperion offer amazing value for their 24-bit Studio Masters, at £6.75 for the album or just £5.60 for the Quixote - as good as eclassical (BIS). (CD typically ca.£14)

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              ...and bear in mind that Andrew Clements is usually rather hard to please!
              He certainly is, however this review is by Tim Ashley.
              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                He certainly is, however this review is by Tim Ashley.
                Yes, of course it is, thanks... (post written in a rush, gulping coffee, on the way out (in more ways than one...))

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

I'll try, it - haven't given 24 bit a go yet so this seems a good way to start.

I've always loved my first Don, Szell with Fournier and the Clevelanders and I've replaced the LP with CD but the sound is not to modern standards.

Mike

Comment

• Pianoman
                    • Jan 2013

I might try this - I take it you don't hear any break between tracks ? It would be particularly annoying in this piece..

Comment

Working...
                    X