X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT
    • Sep 2024

St John Passion

For years I have owned and enjoyed JEG's Archiv recording. Having heard CD Review on 30 March, I'm tempted by the new John Butt recording. Before taking the plunge I'd like some help from fellow MBers. What other OVPP versions should I consider? And has anyone any views on JEG's more recent live SDG recording. Looking forward to some interesting discussion....
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
    For years I have owned and enjoyed JEG's Archiv recording. Having heard CD Review on 30 March, I'm tempted by the new John Butt recording. Before taking the plunge I'd like some help from fellow MBers. What other OVPP versions should I consider? And has anyone any views on JEG's more recent live SDG recording. Looking forward to some interesting discussion....
    Andrew Parrott/Taverner Consort & Players for OVPP.

Suzuki/Bach Collegium Japan's version on BIS is the most aurally lush (sacred?) version I have heard, though. It's available to stream on Qobuz and Spotify, but the CDs are very pricey (£20+).
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

This one from Leipzig is very good but I can't advise as to whether it is a best buy or not. My wife was born there and it is also serves as a reminder of a performance we heard in the Thomaskirche with similar forces about 30 years ago.

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Don't know Butt's recording, but OVPP Kuijken / La Petite Bande is very fine. However, I'd go for the recording directed by Philippe Pierlot.

Comment

• Stunsworth
          • Nov 2010

I downloded the Dunedin version from Linn over the weekend - then spent most of Sunday listening to Bach from the RAH.

What I've heard so far has been excellent - note I'm not a musician, I fall under the 'I know what I like when I hear it' category. It has excellent sound quality - I downloaded the 24/96 version.

I think I'll pass on the optional (free) download of German sermons to add to the recording.
          Steve

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Being a great fan of hearing boys' voices in this repertoire, I very much like the New College Oxford/Edward Higginbottom version on Naxos. But I can understand that a boy treble in the soprano arias will not be to everyone's taste.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

For years I have owned and enjoyed JEG's Archiv recording. Having heard CD Review on 30 March, I'm tempted by the new John Butt recording.
              I went to a performance a couple of weeks ago - I found it a bit slow for my tastes. One doesn't want to rush through it at a gallop, but it does need a little tension. However, the recording might be different. I've been to their St Matthew Passion performances & found them extremely good.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                Andrew Parrott/Taverner Consort & Players for OVPP.

This is excellent, too:
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X