X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheapskater
    • Sep 2024

Car Boot Bargains?

Friends, we start the Car Boot season in Surrey this weekend (weather permitting). Are there any CDs that you'd like me to keep a look out for whilst I'm trawling? (I'm proposing a £3 donation to Oxfam, BHF, Salvation Army or Cancer Research for any CD that I successfully post/deliver to you; if that's OK?)

I never know what will be encountered, but Mahler, Elgar, BBC MM, CfP and HMV Classics are often there.

Cheaps
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Cheapskater View Post
    Friends, we start the Car Boot season in Surrey this weekend (weather permitting). Are there any CDs that you'd like me to keep a look out for whilst I'm trawling? (I'm proposing a £3 donation to Oxfam, BHF, Salvation Army or Cancer Research for any CD that I successfully post/deliver to you; if that's OK?)

I never know what will be encountered, but Mahler, Elgar, BBC MM, CfP and HMV Classics are often there.

Cheaps
    What a generous offer!

I shall consult the 3,000 Amazon Wish Lists I've painstakingly constructed over the past year and get back to you...

Any Frans Brüggen Haydn discs with the Orchestra of the 18th Century and/or Age of Enlightenment, such as the Sturm and Drang symphonies,Paris Symphonies, and London Symphonies.

The Hagen Quartett in Haydn's op.20 string quartets.
    Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 29-03-13, 18:53.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Cheapskater

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      What a generous offer!

I shall consult the 3,000 Amazon Wish Lists I've painstakingly constructed over the past year and get back to you...
      Oh dear, this might be tricky! (and lucky I have a good memory) Just give me the highlights. Perhaps I should also mention that I can only do three quid for UK as the postage to France, Germany, US might be exorbitant! Although if it was scarce material i.e. BBC MM Mahler 10/Wigglesworth we could arrange something.

Comment

• Cheapskater

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        What a generous offer!

Any Frans Brüggen Haydn discs with the Orchestra of the 18th Century and/or Age of Enlightenment, such as the Sturm and Drang symphonies,Paris Symphonies, and London Symphonies.
        OK Throps, I've added Frans Bruggen to my trawl list (but can't say that I've ever seen them - what label(s) would they be on?)

I also have BBC MM Mahler 10/Wigglesworth & BBC MM Mahler 6/Mackerras on the list as I know that friends will want them (and the going rate at car boot is only a quid)

Cheaps.

Comment

• Madame Suggia
          • Sep 2012

Please keep your eyes peeled for George Szell live in Tokyo 1970, on Sony Classics.

I'm willing to push the boat out on this one. .up to £4.00p

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Cheapskater View Post
            OK Throps, I've added Frans Bruggen to my trawl list (but can't say that I've ever seen them - what label(s) would they be on?)

Cheaps.
            Philips, usually.

Much obliged, Cheaps. As for postage, you can hang onto the disc until I move back to Blighty later in the year.

Comment

• Cheapskater

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
              Please keep your eyes peeled for George Szell live in Tokyo 1970, on Sony Classics.

I'm willing to push the boat out on this one. .up to £4.00p
              Thank you, I've added it to my list. Crikey! that's going to be rare, is it SACD only?

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Beethoven; Missa Solemnis
                Concertgebouw Orchestra
                Eugen Jochum

Philips label
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Concertgebouw Orchestra
                  Eugen Jochum

Philips label
                  Good call. This one seems to have fallen off the planet. I was hoping with the recent box sets, this would re-emerge, but then it's on Philips, not EMI.

Comment

• Cheapskater

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Concertgebouw Orchestra
                    Eugen Jochum

Philips label
                    Thanks Petrushka, added to my trawl list. Is this going to be a little rare?
                    Last edited by Guest; 29-03-13, 20:23. Reason: more info

Comment

• Cheapskater

Friends, I'm just back from the CB in Sunny Surrey and successful it was too - Came back with a dozen CDs.

Somebody might like:

Beethoven Piano Concertos 3 & 4
                      Ashkenazy
                      Cleveland Orchestra

Decca 433 321-2.

PM me if you'd like it. (I'm proposing a £3 donation (gift aided if possible) to Oxfam, BHF, Salvation Army or Cancer Research for any CD that I successfully post/deliver to you)

There were a number of BBC MM CDs about, including Prokofiev & Shostakovich. Let me know if you have a BBC MM CD requirement and I will try to secure it for you. Some Naxos around also. Hopefully I shall be attending the CB tomorrow also
                      Last edited by Guest; 31-03-13, 12:41. Reason: trypo

Comment

Working...
                      X