X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    : his own journals. I have three: Boswell In Holland 1763-1764 , ...Boswell For The Defense 1769-1774; ... Boswell's London Journals 1762-63.

."
    ... still time to acquire -

Boswell on the Grand Tour: Germany & Switzerland 1764
    Boswell on the Grand Tour: Italy, Corsica, & France 1765-1766
    Boswell in Search of a Wife 1766-1769
    Boswell's Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides 1773
    Boswell: The Ominous Years 1774-1776
    Boswell in Extremes 1776-1778
    Boswell, Laird of Auchinleck 1778-1782
    Boswell: The Applause of the Jury 1782-1785
    Boswell: The English Experiment 1785-1789
    Boswell: The Great Biographer 1789-1795

I remember it took me ages to acquire the last two vols to complete the set...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... still time to acquire -

Boswell on the Grand Tour: Germany & Switzerland 1764
      Boswell on the Grand Tour: Italy, Corsica, & France 1765-1766
      Boswell in Search of a Wife 1766-1769
      Boswell's Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides 1773
      Boswell: The Ominous Years 1774-1776
      Boswell in Extremes 1776-1778
      Boswell, Laird of Auchinleck 1778-1782
      Boswell: The Applause of the Jury 1782-1785
      Boswell: The English Experiment 1785-1789
      Boswell: The Great Biographer 1789-1795

I remember it took me ages to acquire the last two vols to complete the set...
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Coincidentally, I have dined once at Lasserre for my brother-in-law's girlfriend's birthday. Since I wasn't picking up the tab, ol' de la Trop-le-Noguin filled his boots and plumped for the 'pigeon André Malraux', stuffed with foie gras. Très légère. It was all gastronomically superb but very 'rigide' in that French dining way, where people whisper across the starched linen and feel on edge, ever fearful they are about to be lambasted by the stern maître d' for not sitting up straight, etc.
        I have lunched there on several occasions and never had to 'ramasser le tab' ....it was the favourite haunt of a French client, now alas no longer with us. I concur with the opinion of M. le N. Do you remember the brocaded upholstery on the walls of the lift? Absurd, I thought.

Nice when they open the roof of the dining room, though

Vindetable can take us all to Taillevent when we have our French meeting, to show us what he means!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          [COLOR="#0000FF"]I have lunched there on several occasions and never had to 'ramasser le tab' ....it was the favourite haunt of a French client, now alas no longer with us. I concur with the opinion of M. le N. Do you remember the brocaded upholstery on the walls of the lift? Absurd, I thought.
          Yes! It feels very 'vielle école' - flambé-ing the crêpes Suzette à table.

[COLOR="#0000FF"]Nice when they open the roof of the dining room, though
          we went in flaming June and experienced this.

Vindetable can take us all to Taillevent when we have our French meeting, to show us what he means!!
          He better be quick. I'm Albion-bound this summer.

Though, of course, all that money you must squirrel away by having clients pay for you...well, the Caliban coffers must surely be overflowing, eh, M. Maserati?
          Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 04-04-13, 15:15.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Coincidentally, I have dined once at Lasserre for my brother-in-law's girlfriend's birthday. Since I wasn't picking up the tab, ol' de la Trop-le-Noguin filled his boots....
            I have lunched there on several occasions and never had to 'ramasser le tab' ....it was the favourite haunt of a French client, now alas no longer with us.:
            ... M du Trop-le-Nogent was paid for by his "brother-in-law's girlfriend" (heh heh)

Maître Calabresse was paid for by " a French client ". Yes, well...

I was no better. All my grand dining in France was paid for by the poor British taxpayer - you suckers!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... M du Trop-le-Nogent was paid for by his "brother-in-law's girlfriend" (heh heh)

Maître Calabresse was paid for by " a French client ". Yes, well...

I was no better. All my grand dining in France was paid for by the poor British taxpayer - you suckers!

That settles it, Cali. The vintner's paying. And I'll be ordering a bottle of Château Latour Pauillac 1990 to go with my pigeon.

Now that that's been settled, back to Haydn...

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Sorry to go off thread again, but I have yet to discover the joys of Boswell - would either Vints or Throps know of a good available anthology which would whet my appetite? I think I would enjoy him a lot.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  Sorry to go off thread again, but I have yet to discover the joys of Boswell - would either Vints or Throps know of a good available anthology which would whet my appetite? I think I would enjoy him a lot.
                  'Indeed, I would,' he says, pulling John Wain's The Journals of James Boswell 1761-1795 off the shelves. Take a peek inside hither. Your best bet for a cheap buy is abebooks.co.uk.

Journals of James Boswell 1762-1795 by Wain, John and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.co.uk.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

[IMG]... back to Haydn...
                    Not yet apparently...

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Thank you very much indeed, Thropps...I have managed to get a hardback copy of it for £13 including postage to France, thanks to your kind guidance. I look forward to plunging into Boswell's world!

Sorry verismissimo...now we can go back to Haydn.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

Thank you very much indeed, Thropps...I have managed to get a hardback copy of it for £13 including postage to France, thanks to your kind guidance. I look forward to plunging into Boswell's world!
                        Glad you found a copy, Micky. Report back when you've read it. Perhaps we can set up a thread to exchange our favourite Boswellisms.

Comment

• verismissimo
                          • Nov 2010

Sorry verismissimo...now we can go back to Haydn.
                          Not to be misunderstood - Boswell has been a really wonderful detour. Thanks to all.

Comment

• DoctorT

May I break into this discussion among friends to recommend the Freiburger Barockorchester recording on Harminia mundi of Le Matin/Le Midi/Le Soir? I also enjoy the Isserlis/Norrington Cello Concertos, coupled with the exquisite Sinfonia Concertante.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Glad you found a copy, Micky. Report back when you've read it. Perhaps we can set up a thread to exchange our favourite Boswellisms.
                              Will do! I particularly liked the example given previously on here about Boswell's cat. Being a fan of most things 18th century, I'm actually a bit ashamed that I've never read Boswell before. But I also have a fondness for the simple life described in his diaries by Parson Woodforde.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                                May I break into this discussion among friends to recommend the Freiburger Barockorchester recording on Harminia mundi of Le Matin/Le Midi/Le Soir? I also enjoy the Isserlis/Norrington Cello Concertos, coupled with the exquisite Sinfonia Concertante.
                                Glad to hear about the Freiburgers' Symphonies - I have the Pinnock on DG and have never been entirely satisfied with his approach: the Freiburgers should be excellent.

And "exquisite" is exactly the word I'd chose to describe the Sinfonia Concertante
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X