X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Schmidt: Das Buch Mit Sieben Siegeln

I've never heard this work but am interested in exploring it. Of the several recordings that are avaialbe (Welser-Most, Jarvi, Stein, etc), which one is most recommendable? I know some are avaialbe on spotify but I don't trust stream listening.

I believe that good sonics are important in this one, so I probably wouldn't be interested in the Mitropoulos version as a first choice.

Thanks!
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    I've never heard this work but am interested in exploring it. Of the several recordings that are avaialbe (Welser-Most, Jarvi, Stein, etc), which one is most recommendable? I know some are avaialbe on spotify but I don't trust stream listening.

I believe that good sonics are important in this one, so I probably wouldn't be interested in the Mitropoulos version as a first choice.

Thanks!
    I've got the W-M which seemed OK to me on the two times I heard it but I have no point of comparison. I have to say that I found the work disappointing.....

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      I've got the W-M which seemed OK to me on the two times I heard it but I have no point of comparison. I have to say that I found the work disappointing.....
      I've read it described as 'a meeting of Bach with the Wagner of Die Meistersinger...' How could it NOT be disappointing after that kind of build-up?

Comment

• Steerpike
        • Nov 2010

This is one of my Desert Island Discs works.

The W-M is superb and in very good sound. The soloists are excellent too, Rene Pape singing Ich bin das A und das O is nearly (but not quite) enough to make me religious. Stig Andersen is wonderful all through.

The Mitropoulos is a performance which isn't, IMHO, just good but touched with genius. Particularly, W-M's Hallelujah! chorus is tremendous but Mitropoulos makes it almost drunk with glory. I've heard other performances but these are the two I settled on. You need both really but the safer choice if you're concerned about sound is obviously the W-M

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
          I've read it described as 'a meeting of Bach with the Wagner of Die Meistersinger...' How could it NOT be disappointing after that kind of build-up?
          Perhaps I should give it another try. I think I approached it with inflated expectations after reading various adulatory reviews. Will re-approach without expecting too much.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Steerpike View Post
            This is one of my Desert Island Discs works.

The W-M is superb and in very good sound. The soloists are excellent too, Rene Pape singing Ich bin das A und das O is nearly (but not quite) enough to make me religious. Stig Andersen is wonderful all through.

The Mitropoulos is a performance which isn't, IMHO, just good but touched with genius. Particularly, W-M's Hallelujah! chorus is tremendous but Mitropoulos makes it almost drunk with glory. I've heard other performances but these are the two I settled on. You need both really but the safer choice if you're concerned about sound is obviously the W-M
            wholeheartedly seconded

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

I'll third that, a terrific work, must listen to it again soon. I have the W-M too and it seems pretty good to me.

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

I'll fourth it! Harnoncourt is my favourite, although I've not yet heard Mitropoulos or Jarvi. I keep hoping that there'll be a BAL on this work.
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                X