X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    Well, no one has bid on it so far and I doubt will. Still, you never know.
    If you click on watch this item, Ebay will tell you the final price

Mike

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
      If you click on watch this item, Ebay will tell you the final price

Mike
      Thanks, Mike. Yes, I've done that. I often watch old Ida Haendel Lps that go for amazing prices.

Not sure Igor has quite that level of interest.

Comment

• Pianoman
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I would never make it my main source of listening due to it's low bit rate sound. Those less finicky about sound quality can use on line services and need not ever again bother with Physical Media such as cDs, SACD, Blu-Rays, etc.
        I love good sound quality and have expensive hifi, and I have to say that Spotify Premium at 320 kps is perfectly acceptable - indeed, blind tests have shown that people cannot tell the difference between bit rates from 128 upwards. I have a large CD collection, but it's fast gathering dust with the sheer convenience of Spotify, and most sleeve-type information is readily available elsewhere.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Is that declined by 2/3 or declined to 2/3?

There's a fifty per cent difference
          according to what I've read, CD sales are about 35% of the level that they were around the year 2000.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
            I love good sound quality and have expensive hifi, and I have to say that Spotify Premium at 320 kps is perfectly acceptable - indeed, blind tests have shown that people cannot tell the difference between bit rates from 128 upwards. I have a large CD collection, but it's fast gathering dust with the sheer convenience of Spotify, and most sleeve-type information is readily available elsewhere.
            I also consider myself an audiophile, and have a lot of cash invested in my system. Spotify and good internet Radio Stations (such as Linn) sound very good, but not equal to CD quality, and far from SACD, Blu-Ray, or DVD-A. I could live with Spotify as my only source if I had to, but I'm glad that I do not have to. I also find that it occasionally is inconvenient. I just tried to bring up the Emerson Quartet recording of Shostakovich's Eighth Quartet
            and all 15 Quartets popped up, by movement, with no indication to which numbered Quartet each movement belongs to. It would be much easier to pull a CD out of a jewell case and find what I want, or even scan my hard drive if I access my music that way.

Comment

• Pianoman
              • Jan 2013

I just tried the same thing and it clearly lists all the quartets disc by disc, all in order movement by movement, so very easy to access just the eighth, so not sure what you're doing; you need to click on the album for it to display all contents correctly in order. Just doing an A-B comparison with original disc, mmm, nowt really in it..

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                Perhaps we ought to descend on Roger en-masse and have a forum meeting!
                regards
                Mike
                What a thought. I wonder if he knows about foR3. It might be fun to talk about it in front of him

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

One wonders whether a future thread will be titled "Why buy anything" as it is already possible to click on a vast number of YouTube selections, all free of charge.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    One wonders whether a future thread will be titled "Why buy anything" as it is already possible to click on a vast number of YouTube selections, all free of charge.
                    At any point, we tend to take certain things for granted. At present we are taking almost unrestricted internet access, free to use sites such as youtube and so on for granted, I think.
                    These things may well continue for a long time, but there are no guarantees.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                    X