• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Warner and EMI

Any views on what this might mean?

Both seem keen on the cheap boxed set model which is good for the consumer (if not for my shelving).
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Any views on what this might mean?

Both seem keen on the cheap boxed set model which is good for the consumer (if not for my shelving).
    Warner and EMI?

Details?

Is this current news? I thought earlier attempts by EMI and Warner to merge failed. Is Warner now going to buy out EMI? I'm confused, and not fully up to date with all of this. Perhaps you know more.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

I heard confirmation of this on France Musique last Friday.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

As I understand it, Warner is buying EMI's UK company, now called Parlophone, which includes EMI Classics.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

They will probably further dumb down the label with any new releases being inane crossover recordings, dump most of the catalogue in steeply discounted boxes, and save the best of their back catalogue for expensive downloads

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Following the acquisition by Universal of the EMI Group last December, after European Commission approval, Universal had to divest itself of a certain amount of its new assets.
            from the Gramophone link http://links.em.gramophone.co.uk/ser...FORWARD_INFO%%

Does this mean that Universal had to sell off EMI because of regulatory constraints, or simply because of its own operations and funding arrangements?

I had noticed some use by Universal of EMI recordings in recent months. Box sets such as the Decca Verdi box, which apparently includes recordings made by Philips, DG, Decca and also EMI have been made available. Will this no longer be possible by Universal - or at least no longer so easy?

On the other hand there might be synergy between the Warner back catalogue and EMI's - not necessarily a bad thing - different.

Comment

Working...
            X