X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akiralx
    • Oct 2011

Brahms Violin Concerto - Batiashvili/Thielemann DG

I really like this - one good thing in addition to the fine soloist is Thielemann's handling of the accompaniment, with a quick opening ritornello, so the first movement comes in at 21mins compared to the 24 it normally seems to nowadays. Total time 38mins. A crisp but poetic interpretation, her tone is sweet and intense rather than rich.

The recording is very good, though some might feel that the spacious acoustic (presumably the Lukaskirche) sounds a little empty. Very well focused sound though, with good detail. I haven't listened to the Clara Schumann pieces yet.
  • ostuni
    • Nov 2010

20½ & 37 overall for the lithe Isabelle Faust & Daniel Harding, which I like a lot for similar reasons.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Not really a new thing though Heifetz and Milstein were quick ages ago . Milstein and Steinberg nineteen and a half first movement and 36.11 overall.

Menuhin and Kempe , however ,one of the all time great recordings - indeed IMO the greatest were 22 and 41 in total !

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Not really a new thing though Heifetz and Milstein were quick ages ago . Milstein and Steinberg nineteen and a half first movement and 36.11 overall.

Menuhin and Kempe , however ,one of the all time great recordings - indeed IMO the greatest were 22 and 41 in total !
        Try the Kogan recording, on Guild, coupled with the Kachaturian Concerto.

Comment

• akiralx
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Yes, like the D minor piano concerto which no-one plays anything like as fast as Horowitz et al.

One interesting thing about this new recording is the Busoni cadenza in (i) where the soloist is discreetly accompanied by timpani.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            Try the Kogan recording, on Guild, coupled with the Kachaturian Concerto.
            Are you referring to its speed or lack of it, or to its status as a great recording, rfg?

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I wondered about that Ams .

Richard - tell us more . Kogan's RCA Khachaturian coupled with the Reiner Nevsky - is pretty special . Only Ida H and Oistrakh just edge it IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X