Poulenc's Stabat Mater: Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

Poulenc's Stabat Mater: Recommendations?

Stéphane Dénève's first recording as the new principal conductor of the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra is of music by Poulenc: Stabat Mater and Les Biches.

I'm impressed by sound samples I've heard (especially the Stabat Mater, which is a work new to me), but wonder before getting this new recording if board members have other recommendations for this work.
  • Simon B
    • Dec 2010

I've not heard the new Dénève/SRSO recording referred to. That aside, my favourite recording to-date (in excellent 1990s Chandos sound) is Tortelier/BBCPO/BBC Singers/Janice Watson on Chandos - coupled with the Gloria.

The brisk and lively bits are, well, brisk and lively, and the sombre bits, er, sombre. Yes, I have missed my vocation as a musicologist with insights like that! My point, such as it is, is that the all important incongruous juxtapositions really tell in a way that no other recording I've heard quite gets right.

I should confess that nostalgia may be playing its part as this recording captures a golden period (now sadly passed as all things must) of the best French orchestra in Manchester!

PS, a mod may be along to move this thread shortly as it doesn't really fit within the brief of the "Performance" board...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

WONDERFUL that someone has recorded the gorgeous Stabat Mater again - there aren't many. I'll look out for reviews, but Deneve should do it well if his orchestra/chorus co-operates. The best of the older recordings is Serge Baudo/Lyon O.N. &Chorus. This is on Harmonia Mundi 905149 (1985) but I don't think it was ever rereleased so you'll have the fun of hunting it down! Pretre or Dutoit have the idiom right, but the soprano and chorus aren't as good. The much-missed Gramophone critic Lionel Salter, one of the best reviewers of French music, led me to the Baudo, and it is beautifully, spaciously recorded too.

EDIT: just checked the Gramophone archive, and despite some choral reservations Lionel Salter did recommend the Dutoit, handily coupled with a fine Gloria as it is... But not the Pretre, despite his very fine Gloria and links to the composer.

But do seek out the Baudo if you can, it's worth it.
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-02-13, 19:50.

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        WONDERFUL that someone has recorded the gorgeous Stabat Mater again - there aren't many. I'll look out for reviews, but Deneve should do it well if his orchestra/chorus co-operates. The best of the older recordings is Serge Baudo/Lyon O.N. &Chorus. This is on Harmonia Mundi 905149 (1985) but I don't think it was ever rereleased so you'll have the fun of hunting it down! Pretre or Dutoit have the idiom right, but the soprano and chorus aren't as good. The much-missed Gramophone critic Lionel Salter, one of the best reviewers of French music, led me to the Baudo, and it is beautifully, spaciously recorded too.

EDIT: just checked the Gramophone archive, and despite some choral reservations Lionel Salter did recommend the Dutoit, handily coupled with a fine Gloria as it is... But not the Pretre, despite his very fine Gloria and links to the composer.

But do seek out the Baudo if you can, it's worth it.
        This is a piece I adore.
        Agree absolutely about Baudo's HM disc - it's wonderful (there even seem to be a few copies on amazon.co.uk, though they're not cheap).
        There are two Prêtre recordings - of which the earlier one with Crespin I find extremely moving despite some imperfect choral singing. The later one doesn't quite grab me in the same way. I'm not a fan of Dutoit's version, but if LS liked it, there must be some redeeming features.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
          This is a piece I adore.
          Agree absolutely about Baudo's HM disc - it's wonderful (there even seem to be a few copies on amazon.co.uk, though they're not cheap).
          There are two Prêtre recordings - of which the earlier one with Crespin I find extremely moving despite some imperfect choral singing. The later one doesn't quite grab me in the same way. I'm not a fan of Dutoit's version, but if LS liked it, there must be some redeeming features.
          I have Hickox on Virgin Classics (appropriately). I can't compare with other recordings but find it excellent.

Incidentally, the soloist from the above, Catherine Dubosc, also appears on the Decca complete Mélodies which I acquired recently and am enjoying getting to know. Another bargain at the grocer's shop.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I have heard this work very few times indeed. I think it's high time I take the plunge to buy a copy, i think of the Tortelier, as I used to be a fan of that combination.

As with the Gloria, I always felt it a pity, that with an announciation like the Gloria, it's(I have always felt), a pity he didnt compose a complete setting of the n
            mass?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Keraulophone
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
              Agree absolutely about Baudo's HM disc - it's wonderful
              Thirded!

IIRC, it was the top recommendation of a BaL some time ago; then bought it from that little CD shop (The Record Album[?], of fond memory) behind Leicester Square. Michèle Lagrange is the very fine soprano soloist.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                • Nov 2011

Many thanks for the input, everyone.

The Baudo is shown in places on the internet at quite ridiculous prices, but I hope to track it down somewhere for a more attainable outlay.
                In anticipation of a long wait, I'll get the new Denéve right away to familiarise myself with the work. I had thought the Stabat Mater was scheduled for performance in May in the National Concert Hall in Dublin, but it turns out to be the Gloris that's on the programme.

Comment

• AmpH
                  • Feb 2012

There are a few reasonably priced used copies on Am.com

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I have heard this work very few times indeed. I think it's high time I take the plunge to buy a copy, i think of the Tortelier, as I used to be a fan of that combination.

As with the Gloria, I always felt it a pity, that with an announciation like the Gloria, it's(I have always felt), a pity he didnt compose a complete setting of the n
                    mass?
                    Except he did compose a Mass, in 1936 - before either the Stabat Mater or the Gloria. It's for unaccompanied voices, and very beautiful, I think. (There's no Credo, but otherwise it's all there). Lots of recordings too: look for "Poulenc" "Mass in G".

Comment

Working...
                    X