Bach's St John Passion - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beresford
    • Apr 2012

Latvian Radio Choir

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Interesting,

That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard a recording that ticks the boxes for me in this piece,
    I recently came across this Latvian tv recording of the St John passion, for small scale forces. From the first bar of the music (which only starts just after 5 minutes into the video) I was captivated. Concerto Copenhagen, Larss Ulriks Mortensens, with Julian Pregardiens, in Riga last April. I wish someone would make a DVD of it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      In 2012 I was trying to decide on a version for my father. It came down to The Parrot or the then fairly new 2nd recording by JEG - I do recommend listening to it!
      Which? (The Parrott, the Gardiner, or your father?)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hedgehog

"to buy for my father" I do recommend the 2nd JEG version (the Parrot had already been much recommended). I bought the JEG - closer to my father's tastes but different enough at the same time.

Edit: I've just seen that AAM have brought out a ST John's Passion this year - has that been talked about elsewhere?
        Last edited by Guest; 24-10-14, 23:52.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I too have the New College Oxford version. Arguably, to be truly 'authentic' a boy treble must sing the sop arias. Do any other versions (e.g. the German ones) do this?

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

"to buy for my father" I do recommend the 2nd JEG version (the Parrot had already been much recommended). I bought the JEG - closer to my father's tastes but different enough at the same time.

Edit: I've just seen that AAM have brought out a ST John's Passion this year - has that been talked about elsewhere?
            I don't think it has. The first time I heard the opening chorus, I thought it was taken at a hell of a lick, but upon repeated listenings, I've come to rather like it. The Higginbottom is still my first choice, because of the boy sopranos.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I love Jegger's recording
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I too have the New College Oxford version. Arguably, to be truly 'authentic' a boy treble must sing the sop arias. Do any other versions (e.g. the German ones) do this?

Yes, as at the top of the thread the Harnoncourt: Concentus Musicus Wien and Wiener Sängerknaben - it is very good

There was an archiv recording with the Regensburger Domspatzen, Collegium St. Emmeram, conducted by Hanns-Martin Schneidt but I don't think that was ever rereleased on CD

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, as at the top of the thread the Harnoncourt: Concentus Musicus Wien and Wiener Sängerknaben - it is very good

There was an archiv recording with the Regensburger Domspatzen, Collegium St. Emmeram, conducted by Hanns-Martin Schneidt but I don't think that was ever rereleased on CD
                  I think you are right, hedgehog...and the same forces also did a Christmas Oratorio for Archiv, which sadly never got to see a release on CD either.

Comment

Working...
                  X