Bach's St John Passion - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bert Coules
    • Nov 2010

Bach's St John Passion - any recommendations?

Any recommendations please for a recording of the Bach St John Passion? Preferably with German forces, especially the choir, but any favourites will be of interest.

Many thanks.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

My preferred version is Britten's, but that has English musicians. I also have Munchinger, which I admire greatly, even though it makes me a laughing stock with the establishment.
    But a safe and extremely fine German version is Rilling's recording on Hanssler.

Comment

• Bert Coules
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll take a look at Münchinger and Rilling.
      Last edited by Bert Coules; 23-01-11, 17:39.

Comment

• Mark Sealey
        • Mar 2007

Higginbottom on Naxos 8557296-97
        --
        Mark

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Alpensinf's recommendations are predictably 'old school' , large forces, non HIPP. I would not recommend them myself...

My recommendations would include: Nikolaus Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien 1971; Edward Higginbottom / New Coll: Oxford on Naxos, marvellous; Andrew Parrott / Taverner consort & Players, and - my current favourite - Paul McCreesh / Gabrieli Players.

I certainly think you should try to have several performances...

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I have the Britten (in English). The Wandsworth Boys Choir are magnificent (brilliantly drilled by Russell Burgess...though his sung contribution as Judas gives me the giggles) I also have the Higginbottom (Naxos) which is mostly extremely excellent.

The greatest live performance I have ever heard was with Eugen Jochum at the Proms: BBC Singers and Concertgeboew Orch, I think in 1969. Think of Jochem's Bruckner and you get how good it was! It was probably the greatest Bach peformance I shall ever hear. Jochum recorded it in 1960 and the recording has good reviews but I cannot vouch for the sound:

Eugen Jochum [2]
            Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir
            John van Kesteren, Hans Hotter, Elisabeth Grümmer, Marga Höffgen, Peter Pears, Kieth Engen
            Golden Melodram, 1960

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              Alpensinf's recommendations are predictably 'old school' , large forces, non HIPP.
              Not quite. The Munchinger uses large forces, but not the Rilling (though he does use modern instruments)

I certainly think you should try to have several performances...
              I would concur with that, if finances permit

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Here's another taker for the Higginbottom on Naxos - I love the sound of the boys' voices, the recording is excellent and the set costs very little as well!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

It's not with German forces, as requested, but Veldhoven and the Netherlands Bach Society on Channel Classics is excellent.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

I'd second vinteuil's recommendation of Parrott and his Taverners. He has Rogers Covey-Crump as Evangelist and David Thomas as Jesus, both excellent.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                      • Nov 2010

M1 Bert Coules

I have only one complete recording of Bach's St John Passion - it is no doubt a masterpiece, but it doesnt command my interest (my failing, I'm sure) - and that is Wolfgang Gonnewein's 3 LP set from 1970 on HMV Angel, SAN 264-6, Library no. SLS 949/3). I've no reason to quarrel with it and I've kept it for decades, which must mean something, but it might not be currently available, its not mentioned in the 2010 Penguin Guide or the Rough Guide to Classical Music.

I've got a couple of excerpt's LPs - The Decca/Britten version and the Argo/Willcocks one, but neither stick in the memory.

Perhaps one needs some specific highlight to reawaken interest in a possibly dull marathon? Any Bach enthusiasts out there keen to give me a clue?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

I cannot imagine how anyone can find the St John Passion dull. It's one of the most dramatic pieces of music I know - but I have sung in it (chorus) many times, and I suppose that might make a difference. There's no need to be religious to appreciate it. It's great music from any perspective.

Comment

• Bert Coules
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks very much to everyone for the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

The Argo highlights LP in English was my introduction to Bach choral music a fair old time ago. I remember it, possibly with the rosy glow of nostalgia, as being superbly dramatic and gripping. Isn't the great Wagnerian bass David Ward one of the soloists?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I have this very good Leipzig version, which seems to be only available from Germany

Comment

• Mark Sealey
                              • Mar 2007

The same conductor's (and label; and format - LP) was my first Matthew Passion. Quite something in those days…

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                              …Wolfgang Gonnewein's 3 LP set from 1970 on HMV Angel…
                              --
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X